>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 07-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
Aelther

Exclamation Some questions for 3D modellers

Hello, Id like to ask some questions to a 3D modeller, preferably someone working in the industry.
I am doing research for my university assignment and I would really appreciate your help. Thank you for your time.

1) How did you start working in the industry?

2) Was it difficult to get in, is there a lot of competition when trying to find a job?

3) How important is it for a 3D modeller to be a great texture artist as well?

4) How important is it for a 3D modeller to be a great animator as well?

5) Which would you say is better, working as a freelance or as an employee for a company?

6) Is it hard working in the industry, are there a lot of deadlines, pressure, etc?

7) Do companies give any software training to new employees?

8) What advice would you give to a graduate student wishing to work as a 3D modeller?

9) Would you recommend having a career in 3D modelling?
Aelther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
Nukie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelther View Post

After finishing my education I just started my own 3D visualization studio.

Quote:
2) Was it difficult to get in, is there a lot of competition when trying to find a job?
Starting you own business (a I did) is the most easy thing to do. To find enough work to keep the whole thing going is a much more difficult subject. No its not easy to find enough work, and yes there is a lot of competition going on, working as a freelancer.

Quote:
It highly depends on what kind of work you do. As you work for your own or in a very small company, you should know both. In some more large companies you mostly have one thing to focus on (modeling, texturing, animating, lighting or something else). But even then its always good to have some knowledge of what is going on.

Quote:
Same answer as above.

Quote:
5) Which would you say is better, working as a freelance or as an employee for a company?
It depends on you, actually. I enjoy (almost) every aspect of working for myself, but its hard work and it doesn't always pay off. Also, you don't have the certainty of a steady income.

Working in a company, you have colleagues to talk to, you only have to focus on that what you love to do (which of course is 3D) and don't have to worry about finding clients. And you know you are going to get paid at the end of the month, and how much.

Quote:
6) Is it hard working in the industry, are there a lot of deadlines, pressure, etc?
There are always deadlines. Being a CGI artist isn't a "lay back and enjoy the weather" job. There are moments you work long days, even sometimes nights and weekends. Having a family (like I have) is though then sometimes because you can't always spent as much time on them as you like.

Working as an employee this might be a but different, but I have heard stories that doesn't differ that much from my experience as a freelancer.

Quote:
I can't answer this question. No experience.

Quote:
8) What advice would you give to a graduate student wishing to work as a 3D modeller?
Work hard to make a good, presentable portfolio.

Quote:
Its only one of the greatest jobs there is
Old 12-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #3
Aelther

Thanks
Aelther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9

I applied and applied and applied out of Uni, found nothing, left the country, got a job programming and then a friend got me a job testing animation software back in the UK.

Not for that job but it took me a great deal of effort to break out of the software industry into the games industry (by way of TV etc.)
I think being older and more senior made it more difficult to make the move than it would have if I'd done it a few years before to be honest. Making a sideways move from tech art lead to art lead was a bit weird as well but actually I found the work less stressful.

Texturing is 70-80% of the work in games art

Not at all

For me, I prefer to be employed - chasing work and payments is a pain in the arse. I also have a mortgage and family so I like to know I'm going to get paid next month.

Depends on the management. I've worked places where everyday was crunch day - even on tiny projects. I've also worked places where you have a multi million dollar release after 3 years of work and you only do a week or two of overtime towards the end for polishing purposes.

Not very often - unless you work for an outsource house in china where you get loads of training all the time

Remember that it's not your opinion of your work that matters - it's the customer/art director/whatever. Don't be precious, don't take criticism personally and most of all listen to the person interviewing you.

Yes. If your brain is wired right it's a fantastic job

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
McFly
Monogon

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 10
3D is just a hobby for me but I thought I'd reply here so you're not too lonely.

My WIP dump
McFly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3d modelling, assignment, questions, university