>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'

Old 09-10-2007, 03:19 AM   #1
xav3d
xavart

Ice Dragon

Hi guys and girls!
I'm posting pics of my personnal project at the moment. Might not have much time to put on it beside my school 3D projects, but I want to finish it for my porte folio. It's a dragon inspired by the ice dragon figurine made by McFarlane. Done a low poly mesh in Max and will tweak it in Zbrush. The final model will be normal mapped on the low poly. The final might be higher than 3042 polys though. Will try to keep it under 10k...

Hope you like it!

--------------------------------------
Ice Dragon
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=54320
Desert Eagle
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=54482
Flame Thrower
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=54183

Last edited by xav3d; 18-10-2007 at 04:21 AM..
xav3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
sepirioth
Michael van den Heuvel

Send a message via MSN to sepirioth
Good start off! Keep this up
sepirioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
Tank[NL]
New goal: Platinum spam

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 3
i agree, really cool sculpt. looking forward to seeing more.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:51 AM   #4
L3XICON
3d Artist

Send a message via MSN to L3XICON
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime style'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
awesome! i really like the scaled horn on its nose! and the proportions are spot on for me. looking forward to seeing how this one turns out
L3XICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:23 AM   #5
b_bigiel

Yeah looking cool, really like the idea.
Looking forward to the updates
b_bigiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:18 AM   #6
xav3d
xavart

Little update

Thanks for the reply's
Continued to add detail in Zbrush. Trying to gain back some skills in Zbrush since I didn't used it for more than one year...

Ice Dragon
Desert Eagle
Flame Thrower

Last edited by xav3d; 18-10-2007 at 04:22 AM..
Old 10-10-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
L3XICON
3d Artist

Send a message via MSN to L3XICON
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime style'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
looks to me like you have lost no skills in zbrush. great progress. the expression on its face almost makes it look like its grinning ;p
L3XICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
That is very very cool! Wonderful ZBrush mapping.

I'm currently working on Icicles and Ice material tests for a client, so If you need any help with getting a nice ice material, gimme a shout and i'll gladly share my settings with you.

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
xav3d
xavart

@L3XICON: Thanks for the kind words. I'm happy of your comment about the expression. Someone told me his face wasn't mean enough, but my idea is to make it a kind of guardian. If I have the time I'll make a little magician standing beside the dragon, like if it was a guard dog

@ClassicGamer: Thanks about the offer! I'm not quite sure of what kind of material I'll apply to it. I'll keep it in blue, grey and beige colors, with some fur on its legs. The ice idea would be cool though, may be the spikes on his back could be some sort of translucid icy material. Will think about it, thanks!

Ice Dragon
Desert Eagle
Flame Thrower

Old 14-10-2007, 04:05 AM   #10
xav3d
xavart

Little update. Too bad I couldn't do more in the past days, I've been sick and busy with school stuff : I'm doing a female character at the same time, I might as well post screenshots when it gets more complete; right now it's still pretty basic as it's low poly modelling.
The more I add details to the dragon the more I can't wait to texture it. The colors will add a lot to its design.
Hope to post again soon!

Ice Dragon
Desert Eagle
Flame Thrower

Old 14-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #11
ekim_dl

Send a message via ICQ to ekim_dl
the modelled shape is original and cool!
ekim_dl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #12
xav3d
xavart

@ekim_dl: Thanks for the comment

Small update on the arm part. Its hands/paws are finished. Made a normal map test on a low poly version of this model, it was 12k triangles and it looked great Will post a screen as soon as I make a new test because I forgot to save an image...

Ice Dragon
Desert Eagle
Flame Thrower

Old 17-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #13
fartbunny
3Dwannabee

I still don't understand how someone can create something like this from a lowpoly mesh damn I'm stupid
fartbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #14
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Detail tastic!

God you're good with a ZBrush!

Wonderful work so far!

CG
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #15
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly 
Total Awards: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fartbunny View Post
I still don't understand how someone can create something like this from a lowpoly mesh damn I'm stupid
You're not alone with that "stupid" feeling... I feel quite the same