>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Speed Modelling Challenge

Old 12-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
Marty_McFly-3DT
THE Mad Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Marty_McFly-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
The New SMC's - 024 - Rev it up!

1, Each challenge we'll post a subject for you to model along with a time limit on how long you should spend on it. Spend no longer than the allocated time then post a render of your model. No cheating, we are relying on your honesty here and the idea of speed modeling is to simulate a "real world" environment. If you are working on a project and asked to show a concept model you'll need to be able to get somewhere near the target in the allocated time. Your submission should be a model created especially for this challenge and not one you have stored on your hard drive.

How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what we have asked for. Any images of models that do not match the brief can be removed and the poster disqualified.

2, You may enter as many times as you like as long as each model is completely new and uses no components from other entries. Entries using models which are not original will be removed and the poster disqualified.

3, Your entry may contain as many views of your model as you like but it must include a clear and easy to see wire frame of the mesh before any smoothing/subdivision has been applied. Please use a screen grab. No other method is acceptable and any "wire renders" or wireframes we can't see properly will be removed and the poster disqualified.

4, You must include the following details with each submission: software used and time spent creating the model. Any further information is voluntary but posts not containing the required information can be removed and the poster disqualified.

5, Post only one image submission per entry which must be no larger than 1024x768 pixels in either landscape or portrait format with a file size of no more than 195k. These images must be uploaded to our servers using the "browse" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external images files. Images larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified.

6, The creation of displacement maps, normal maps and any splines drawn out in an external program other than your modeling software are to be included in your modeling time.

7, Time spent on rendering or texturing or building a scene in which to display your model is not included in the allocated period to allow those with slower machines to participate on an even playing field. What we are looking for is the quality of the models you can produce "under pressure". If your model is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognizable.

8, Posting the same entry twice in a challenge is considered to be double posting and will result in a disqualification. When asked to fix a previous post due to DQ or any other reason, you must fix the first post, or delete it altogether and create a new one.

These rules apply to everybody taking part there will be NO exceptions!

Time limit - 90 minutes
Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday 26th of March 2008
Subject - Remote Controlled Racer

Remote Controlled Racer: Well the races are in my town this week... it's kind of a big thing around here, although I'm not really into them too much. Personally, I prefer a good old fashioned Remote Controlled car race! So let's get them batteries out and start the fun! The only requirement of this challenge is that the RC vehicle have either wheels or tracks of some sort... no aerial vehicles this time around.

Have Fun and Good Luck!

My Starter:
Attached Images

Marty_McFly-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Oh god yes!!!! this is brilliant! AND a full 90 mins to play with? I can get alot modelled in 90 mins especially with the symmetry object, wonderful idea.

Love the starter Marty, great bodywork, excellent seating, love the wheels with the mini suspension and the vray render style works a treat.

I'm gonna get my reference pics now and get started

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer

EDIT: by the way here's a great website to get you all started
http://www.storacingproducts.com/
Twitter

Last edited by ClassicGamer-3DT; 12-03-2008 at 09:21 PM..
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
H2O-3DT

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Nice subject and starter Marty..
Cool topic
H2O-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #4
Marty_McFly-3DT
THE Mad Moderator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Thanks guys... I'm also working on a fun little "action" shot too! I'll post a link to it when it's finished.
Soon the world of 3D will belong to me!
Follow me on Twitter @McFlyGold
Old 12-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
H2O-3DT

Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
"The only requirement of this challenge is that the RC vehicle have either wheels or tracks of some sort... no aerial vehicles this time around. ",

Beeing a owner of several RC boats i just have to ask. No boats?
H2O-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
Old_Nick
From the inside

Nice subject !! Cool entry Marty

Good luck !!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
RockstarKate
Maxaholics Anonymous

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
Sweet subject
RockstarKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #8
Marty_McFly-3DT
THE Mad Moderator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
...Beeing a owner of several RC boats i just have to ask. No boats?
You know... I was wondering if someone was going to ask about boats since I only mentioned no aerial RC's... I just didn't think you would be the one to ask the question! Save your RC boats for a future challenge... we will have one soon Mr. Make me let the cats out of the bag!

Marty
Old 12-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #9
Marty_McFly-3DT
THE Mad Moderator

Awards Showcase
Here's a link to the fun version of my starter model:

Vroom Vroom!!!

Marty
Old 13-03-2008, 05:29 AM   #10
noyb
User

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
I love it Marty! That's very cool (and fun ).

This could be one of my favorite topics for one of these challenges in a long time, I'd like to do 30 models for this one... but I'll probably only have time for 1... ok, maybe 2 .

Hope you're doing well ClassicGamer, want to see tons of entries
noyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 05:52 AM   #11
undivided809
Silencer

Send a message via Yahoo to undivided809
wow..this would be rather challenging for me. haha. I'm in!
undivided809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #12
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Classic Gamer - Entry #01

OK well here's my first entry, I needed the full 90 mins for this one, also after i'd got the blueprints and set my scene up accordingly, I then had another 2 hours planning the best way to assemble this as fast as possible.

I failed to make it all in the 90 mins though. I later managed to create the alloys, bolts and tires or the wheels and rendering it out with the RC box too.

The symmetry object was my best friend for this, all mostly modelled from primitives and then made editable and then tweaked following the curvature on the blueprints.

This must have been my 4th attempt at this RC car from scratch and now there's still a few triangles, it's pretty hard to keep everything quads when you're trying to model quite fast.

As for my render i'm really happy with it, i've got a small room, floor sunlight, hdri and ambient occlusion too

All other information is on the composite.

Kind Regards

Classic Gamer
Attached Images

Twitter
Old 13-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #13
b3ta
Mac Monkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: I won the speed modeling challenge 96 - Calculator : 29-06-2006. Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Awarded third place for Speed Modeling Challenge #60 -  
Total Awards: 4
Oh my gosh !!

Marty - Really nice modeling and lovely soft lighting, and great subject - nice one

Classic - Wow! - what more can I say - most people would struggle to make that full stop - let alone in 90 minutes ! - excellent modeling and the lighting really works, especially the reflected light in the windscreen - fantastic

I'd really like to do something, but I'm sooooo tired right now it's not even funny !! - Maybe at the weekend

Look forward to seeing more entries...
Old 13-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #14
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
b3ta - Thanks very much, but please remember that it's only the bodywork and not the side windows or the wheels, and it was my 4th attempt at this model starting from scratch But cheers anyway, and get some rest friend

CG
Twitter
Old 13-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #15
Blacklemon67
Unnessisary user

Blacklemon67 - Entry #02

I'm really happy with this. It's a RC solar car. It runs on a little solar panel at the top. It is modeled around a kit I got. It couldn't turn, it is only able to go forwards and backwards using a little remote the kit came with.

I used the open source program AOI. I think I'm not the first one to use it at Threedy's.

I'm new here, critique is welcome.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blacklemon67; 14-03-2008 at 05:55 PM..
Blacklemon67 is offline   Reply With Quote