>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge > THE Sculpting Challenge - Archives

Old 16-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #151
oddity
Banned.

Nice to see some dedicated sculpting challenges, so I thought I'd pitch in.
The hand could do with more work but I didn't have the time.

Last edited by oddity; 16-08-2008 at 12:08 PM..
oddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #152
Sandpiper
It's for the children...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 10
final

So here's my final entry. Still some stuff I'd love to work on and give more detail to but then again, these are speed sculpts right?
Attached Images

Last edited by Sandpiper; 17-08-2008 at 08:08 PM..
Sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #153
DELTATHUND3R

yea Final Submissions thread.Ive looking for it..
Sandpiper=Thats prob my fav matey turned really well..The idea of him wadeing through water is excellent.I like the bag with ya small bits representing coins thats pretty good.Sideburns on him are great facial features really good.
Yet still too no avail I get absolutley no comments or crits..makes it dam hard trying too figure which sculpt too use.so i use a few other forums for comments, cause, guys ya kinda leave a few out here in the cold ..
Oddity=Nice sculpt good idea.I really like ya old style curly locks on him..And ya hand posed up well dam hands are buggas..
Really nice sculpt..
DELTATHUND3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 09:16 PM   #154
neolith
h4xx0r

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Oddity:Great sculpt,one of the best so far The idea is very original,too.
DELTATHUND3R:I'd say go with the second.It seems to have more character and a more interesting pose to me.And the first one has some weird errors on the fingers' pose which is instantly noticeable.

As for ideas,i think aliens would give us lots of possibilities.

Quote:
something wrongI think
neolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #155
DELTATHUND3R

neolith=Thankyou..true, the fingers.drove me crazzy.I have some time on that model left and none on captain.
So Captain it is.
Old 17-08-2008, 04:25 AM   #156
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Darn, I was hoping the final submissions thread would be up by now. Moving tomorrow and don't know how long it will be till I get internet again.

Great job oddity and Sandpipper. I'd say more but I've gotta finish packing.
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #157
Sandpiper
It's for the children...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 10
Oddity: Very cool use of the subtool. Looks like he's coming out of a lower deck on his ship.

SeveredSon: Yet again, you've served up another killer sculpt. I like the futuristic pirate. Nice execution and cool design for sure. The hard part for anyone doing future pirates is getting that "pirate" look to crossover and not just look sci-fi. Very challenging.

DELTATHUND3R: This challenge has had a different feel than the past ones I've been in and the critique has been lower too. I wonder if it has to do with Siggraph going on right now and taking people's attention. I have a feeling we'll see some more sculpts coming out in the final days of the comp.

So since you were looking for crit and taking a poll on which pirate to go with, I think you should go with the captain pirate. I think it has the right emotion and pose although your other piece has a good start as well. It's rather difficult to get a realistic pose sometimes and takes me a decent chunk of time to do as well. I always start off with the pose and then use posable symmetry if I need to. Of course, working this way gives you less time to work over the whole sculpt in time, but if you get faster with posing, it'll definitely bring more life to your pieces. Keep up the good work!

Milan: Your anatomy work did improve your piece for sure. However, around his belly, it looks a bit too muscular to be a "beergut". From the angles you gave us, it's hard to tell if you were trying to give him a belly like that or if you were going for more of a muscular and fit look. With all the muscles and his facial expression there seems to be a lot of tension in your sculpt too. Maybe smooth out some of the muscle transitions and drop his shoulders a bit to give him more of a natural pose. Just a suggestion! Looks good otherwise!

axlproxie: Nice sculpt. Turned out great. The ruffles on the arms are definitely interesting. The hair could use some work but hair can be a pain in the butt as we all know. Great job all around.
Sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #158
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
I always start off with the pose and then use posable symmetry if I need to. Of course, working this way gives you less time to work over the whole sculpt in time, but if you get faster with posing, it'll definitely bring more life to your pieces.
Couldn't agree more. It's definitely doable the other way around like Pedro Toledo's amazing sculpt, but posing first helps me as well.
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 07:37 PM   #159
Inpw

My first wip. Fantasy orc pirate. About 1,5 hour
Attached Images

Inpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #160
juhone

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Cool looking stuff everybody! Here's my contribution. I spent nearly all my minutes, so I call this final.
Attached Images

juhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #161
DELTATHUND3R

Thanks guys.I just posted pirate up in finals..Good luck too all who enterd this challenge.I must say most sculpts are really amazing...A few are outstanding..
top notch...
Old 18-08-2008, 12:49 AM   #162
axelproxie
zombie i dont sleep......

thanks Sandpiper ill work her a bit more over this week and ill fix up thathair ur right it does need a bit more work ill post her as soon as i have something

btw very good work on ur sculpt i like it same like slangford and Pedro Toledo

oh and good luck to everyone i havent been on the 3d total for a while and there some real cool stuff all u guys are really dedicated and talented
i mean it

-axel
axelproxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 12:55 AM   #163
slangford
Mover of Verts

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #9 - 2nd Place 
Well its not part of my final submission, but I liked this guy and wanted to give him some legs. Im not quite done, but I thought you guys might like to see.
Attached Images

slangford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 02:35 AM   #164
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to ryvick
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
Juhone : lovely parrot you got there. something weird about his chest though. could be the angle.
Slangford : his pants are hanging too low in my opinion. his ****** area is too low. bringing that up might make it fit his character which you already have very nicely nailed.
good job everyone.
ryvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 02:53 AM   #165
SeveredSon

Great sculpts everyone. It's hard to pick my favorite because there are at least three that I think are kick ass. Especially the pirate in the water with the bag'o'loot. Looks like he should have a bottle of rum in the other hand though. I think these challenges are fun, because it's a great way to improve your skills.

Sandpiper: Thx for the kind words. It was tough to make a sci-fi pirate look...piratey. I wanted to challenge myself to do something unexpected, hence the cyberpunk theme. If it doesn't win, oh well, at least it was fun. Can't wait for the next challenge!

Last edited by SeveredSon; 18-08-2008 at 02:56 AM..
SeveredSon is offline   Reply With Quote