>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge > THE Sculpting Challenge - Archives

Old 18-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #166
Vincent

Hey guys!
My name is Vincent and I'm new to this forum.
This challenge "sculpting challenge" looks great (too bad i didn't notice the six ones before :/ ), so here's my entry.
I still got a lot of work, i hope it will be finish on wednesday.
I see a lot of great enrties here, that's very inspiring!
Attached Images

Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #167
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Total Awards: 3
Hi Guys,

Sorry for not getting the Final Submissions thread up for you all - it's my first time helping out with the Speed Sculpting Challenges on the forums and I hadn't realised we needed to get a Final Submissions thread up before the deadline, so I'll look into this today for you. Sorry for the delay to those who have been waiting!

Thanks to Slangford, DELTATHUND3R, SeveredSon and Neolith for suggestions for the next challenge - I've noted them all down, many thanks for the support!!

Just gonna flick back a few pages as well and check out what this issue with the props is about, as I hadn't picked up on that before...
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #168
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Hey Guys,

About the props usage thing, I'm sure what Sandpiper has done is absolutely fine, but as I'm not a 3D Sculptor myself I'll have to double-check with one of the mods. I'm sure MonteCristo will be able to help me out here as he provided the base mesh, but I'm sorry if the rules weren't quite detailed enough in the props area - we'll keep this in mind for future challenges!
Old 18-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #169
Vincent

Oups, I've just seen that we only had 5 hours for our sculpting, sooooo, forget my last post, I'll comeback with a new model soon !
Old 18-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #170
Abelion
En la Parra

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Mad Hamish (Discworld) image plugged in the top news bar. 
Total Awards: 1
Hi. That's my final submission.
In that challenge I wanted to try a style more cartoon.
I spend a lot of time with the face and then I lacked time for the rest of the body.
I also would have liked to sculpt a cartoon parrot.
Attached Images

Old 18-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #171
axelproxie
zombie i dont sleep......

i was working on her bit imight do the hair again then post it up
tell me what u guys think
Attached Images

axelproxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #172
Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelion View Post
Hi. That's my final submission.
In that challenge I wanted to try a style more cartoon.
I spend a lot of time with the face and then I lacked time for the rest of the body.
I also would have liked to sculpt a cartoon parrot.
WOW, really good job with the face! Great entry !
Old 18-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #173
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Hello. Just had a chat with the mods and basically the props were provided in this challenge to help you anchor/enhance your characters. The only stipulation was that the props must not be used to create anything that would deviate away from the character being the main focal point (for example using the props to create new characters or large statues or environments would cause a problem!), so in the case of Sandpiper's entry the use of one of a prop to create water is 'borderline' in terms of the brief, but we're happy to let it go as it doesn't take away from the character as the main focal point and simply enhances its character - which is why the props were provided in the first place.

Does that clear things up or was there anything else that needed clarifying? Let me know! Cheers
Old 18-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #174
Sandpiper
It's for the children...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! 
Total Awards: 10
hehe...Just thought it would be a nifty "base".....I didn't realize I was teetering on crossing any lines, but I'd be happy to remove the water. I can't guarantee he's got any trousers on though.....

Last edited by Sandpiper; 18-08-2008 at 01:26 PM..
Sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #175
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
hahaha, no we don't have a problem with the water as it's effectively a "prop" so all is cool
Old 18-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #176
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Sorry, forgot to mention the use of the eyes as props: as long as you haven't used the two eyes provided as props, and then made two of your own for eyeballs, then it's fine. We'll take more care to clarify this in future challenges for you!
Old 18-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #177
Vincent

New model, after something like 2 hours and 10 minutes working. It will certainly be finished tonight or tomorrow!
Attached Images

Old 18-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #178
goronking

some awesome entries everyone, again, wildwire, awesome, definately my favourite.
Vincent, Looking ace, looking forward to the final.
Axel, what's going on with the sleeves? That looks a mess atm. Rest is going well though. I think her face could use a bit more muscle definition, then it'll start to pop a bit more. Keep going at it.
Abelion, awesome, nothing to crit there I'm sure had you had more time it would have been really awesome.
Keep up the good work everyone.
Ran out of time, but here's where she's at at 5 hours. was going to have a parrot on her shoudler, or a bottle in her hands, but started both but didn;t have the time left to do em properly. good work everyone.
Attached Images

Old 18-08-2008, 05:20 PM   #179
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
So just to be 100% clear here, we are allowed to delete faces to make something like a sleveless jacket? If so, are we allowed to separate those faces and use them for something else? Can we extrude those flat poly's to give some depth?

Think I'd be both a good and a bad thing. On one hand, we'd have a lot more freedom to create props that go beyond what the cube is capable of. On the other hand, it's not exactly working with the limitations of the basemesh or devoting all of our time to the actual sculpting.

Really doesn't matter to me either way. In the end I'll do whatever is faster, but if I needed to make something like a sleeveless jacket, loop earings, chain links, basically anything with a hole in it, I'd definitely make use of it.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 18-08-2008 at 05:31 PM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #180
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy4004 View Post
So just to be 100% clear here, we are allowed to delete faces to make something like a sleveless jacket? If so, are we allowed to separate those faces and use them for something else? Can we extrude those flat poly's to give some depth?

Think I'd be both a good and a bad thing. On one hand, we'd have a lot more freedom to create props that go beyond what the cube is capable of. On the other hand, it's not exactly working with the limitations of the basemesh or devoting all of our time to the actual sculpting.

Really doesn't matter to me either way. In the end I'll do whatever is faster, but if I needed to make something like a sleeveless jacket, loop earings, chain links, basically anything with a hole in it, I'd definitely make use of it.
Gonna have to get me a mod's advice on this - let me chat to MonteCristo and get back to you. Sorry for not being able to answer immediately - thanks for your patience!