>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 26-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #16
damageINC

Send a message via MSN to damageINC
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Looking nice. I would suggest moving the head slightly back and scaling down the neck once you weld the head to the body. I'd also suggest making the upper and lower legs a bit more propotionally equal. Right now the upper leg is really short and squat and the lower leg looks way too long. Keep it up.
damageINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #17
Novian
Mentallic Design

Send a message via AIM to Novian
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reache The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 3
damageINC: Thanks I'll look into that.
Novian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #18
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reache The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Model update:

For anyone actually interested..

Cheers~
Old 31-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #19
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Looking good Novian. Can't wait to see what you do with for the high poly. Keep it up!!
Old 31-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #20
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
I like it too! Keep it coming!
JuST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #21
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
Update:

I shortened the thigh cloth panels so we can see his legs now. It was looking a little odd from the front and side.

I added his horn-rings and finished building the hair.

Minor changes to the top jacket. The shoulders were not flowing as well so added a slight outward peak to help continue the shape.

Added an extra loop to the knees to round them out.

I have created the alpha cards for his rune armour (holographic looking rune shapes just above his forearm and hands). Not pictured though. Will post seperatly once those shapes have been roughed in.

C&C are very welcome.

Model WIP:

I have finished the hair. Here is an upclose shot of the hair. C&C please guys.

Hair WIP:

Cheers~

Last edited by Novian; 02-04-2009 at 11:56 AM..
Old 05-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #22
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Looks pretty good. I think shortening the flaps on the legs was a good idea.

The "calves" on the lowest portion of the leg, are looking kinda thick, normally that type of leg is really skinny in the last segment, its kind of cantilevered using muscles from higher up the leg, and there's really not a lot of flex in the "ankle" [ where the hoof is ] so there's no need for major muscle development, mostly just powerful tendons.

I think the shoulders might be a bit wide, but I'm not sure. In the close of the head/hair, the shoulders look the right width. In the full body shots tho, they a bit too wide.

Nice progress, looks like its gonna be a really solid model in short order.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #23
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
Warlock: Thanks bro. I will take a second look at the leg. Yeah the shoulders do look a bit wider but I think thats due to the cloth armour. Maybe not but I promise I didnt scale anything for the renders. :P

Updates!: Ok so there have been a billion (not litteraly) changes to his body, mostly adding loops and smoothing out areas considering that as of last time I was under 5000 tris. I figure I can spare a few more to improve the details.

First up we have the new horns. Below are a 3/4 and side view of the new segmented horns. Its a bit hard to see here but each segment line is chamfered then the leading set is scaled out and pushed back to overlap the other. Then I moved the verts to make a sigle core point off of each. The result is as you see here. What do we think? Like them? Hate them?

Horns WIP:

Secondly, we have a first look at the pedestal. As of this moment it has been unwrapped and sculpted. It has a normal map and two instances. The one you see here is only a few hundred polys. The other one I am more seriously considering has about 1600. (basically 2 subdivision levels up from the base). The three pyramid looking things are going to be some sort of light/inscence burners. There is a close up of them in the lower right. The upper right is a top down shot of the pedestal, and as you can see its shape is not at all familiar.

Pedestal WIP:

Once again let me know what you guys think. Feedback is greatly appriciated.

Cheers, and thanks for looking in.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:52 AM   #24
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Really liking the changes you've made so far. Nice pedestal. I havn't even thought about what I'm going to do with mine yet
Old 07-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #25
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
SR_6274: Thanks very much. Good luck with your pedestal too.

Cheers~
Old 07-04-2009, 02:30 PM   #26
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to ryvick
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
is he going to be crying tears of blood at all times? whoa that would be sick.
ryvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #27
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
ryvick: No not for this char, but you gave me a great idea to add that to another char I have comming up. (in final concept and model sheet stage) Thanks!

Cheers~
Old 08-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #28
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
Update:

So for today we have most ovbiously the clothes. I tried to follow as closely as I could the designs I had drawn (back on page 1). Other additions edits are: horns are done, added fingernails, added rings to the hands (2 on the right 1 on the left, different fingers in all), added an inward bevel to the bottom of the hoof, and added more loops to the legs for reshaping slightly tonight. Other than that some minor tweeks to the body and clothes to make sure they dont clip.

C&C are greatly appriciated as I MUST get into unwrapping tonight. Let me know guys, good bad, or other, I'll take it all.

ModelWIP:

Cheers!~
Old 08-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #29
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Armor looks good, but now that you mentioned the rings on the fingers, his hands look squished. Almost like they are flat planes and need to be buffed out a little bit. Now if you are planning on doing that in a sculpting program, just disregard what I said.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #30
Novian
Mentallic Design

Awards Showcase
SR_6274: Thanks. Yes I will be inflating the hands a bit, especially in the core palm/wrist area. They do look a bit flat when viewed from the front. I actually noticed that about 10 minutes before you posted, but always glad to get a second pair of eyes on it to confirm. Thanks for your help.

Cheers~