>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 25-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Spiderclaw

DWIV - 3D - Spiderclaw - demon

OK, New experiences abound. My first ever thread. Yay! I hope to God I've done it right.

I'm sticking on my first concept sketch - it looks a bit ropy but it's just as a reference. I like working things out when I sculpt. I've done the bulls face from an extruded cube, and the weapon, but that's it so far. Busy days ahead.
Attached Images

Spiderclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' 
Total Awards: 7
welcome nice triple head you got going there.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Spiderclaw

Weapon 1

Here is the first 3d sketch of the weapon, which to be honest, was where my design started. I think it makes sense to try and work it out from the business end backwards sometimes.

I'm not sure which of the demon classes this best fits into?
Attached Images

Old 25-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Spiderclaw

Cheers M_Cederstrom! Its from a description of the demon asmodeus - I think he/she appears in Weyer's pseudomonarchia daemonium? Three heads - man, ram and bull. I've seen differing descriptions of the feet - either goose feet or cockerel feet.

I like how absurd goose feet would look but I'm thinking of going with cockerel feet because they look a bit wizened and gnarled.
Old 25-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Very nice concept. That weapon looks pretty mean. I absolutely wouldn't want to be on the business end of it
Old 25-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' 
Total Awards: 7
i'll be keeping an eye on this.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Spiderclaw

OK - it's taken long enough but here's a bit of an update. I have the basic mesh for the faces mostly done - some work to do on the back. I have also done some armour bits but they aren't cohesive enough to be worth looking at yet. Oh, and some chicken feet.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
Spiderclaw

Pitter patter...
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
whats the tri count on the weapon, the shaft looks like you could cut down abit on the sides and just to add to the flow and look, maybe add a fe segments to the middle of the shaft, then add a bend, it will show how big and heavy the blades are.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
Spiderclaw

Cheers for the advice!

It's just a quick sketch - I don't know yet if I might save a whole heap by giving it a square cross-section haft. I'm going to try and do all the sections and armour, then assemble it, then chop and change and tweak where I can.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #11
Spiderclaw

My pics have gone!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
Spiderclaw

Apologies all for the extreme delay in posting any updates - looking for gainful employment takes longer than you might think these days. I've had a period of frenzied vert tweaking and this is where I am up to.

I have a lot of tidying up to do, but my count is looking OK so far. I need to do something with the waist region and the hands are a bit naff. I'll have another crack at them when I get a fresh burst of inspiration. Then I suppose I'll have to do some UV mapping and run up some seriously quick high poly sculpting.

How do we attach this thread to the dominance war page? I've seen the click to join button on there but I didn't want to go in and screw it up. Is there a specific format to follow?

Any comments or crit on what I've done so far would be really helpful - I'm going for a kind of leapy, twisting pose that will have the weapon cleaving down from high left. If it looks awkward and a straightforward two-feet-down-weapon-in-right-hand shot would be better, I could do with knowing now - I sure as hell won't have time for both!

Cheers all.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #13
Spiderclaw

Also - on pedestals - I was thinking maybe some sort of large statue top, like some ancient babylonian monument to the demon prince, but would that count as a character? If it's obvious that it's made from stone or something and it's only a partial, would that be acceptable?

How important is it that your UVs are tidy? I saw someone put an entry in for the war generals using the auto mapping feature from Zbrush - it isn't human readable but does it still count? Just thinking timescales.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
well the rules say judging would look at how well you used your texture space, so using a auto unwrap won't get the best score.

as for the pedestal, a few people are trying to get away with making statues on the pedestal, this is a no, no. But it would be ok, if your statue was the pedestal.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #15
Spiderclaw

Pose update

Howdy all. Changed the pose to fit the weapon and make the left arm look less awkward. Running short on time now so that extension will come in handy. Just submitted my thread and thumbnail on the DW page. I have a few verts to stitch together and then I should be good to go into Zbrush and start some detail.
Attached Images