>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V

Old 24-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #31
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre 
Total Awards: 11
Awesome start!
Old 24-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #32
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Total Awards: 3
I like the way you carry on with your workflow. Nice anatomical study here!!
wil_himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #33
mix_mash

Hate to say this but your muscle anatomy is too simple. Muscles 'flow' around each other and connect to bones and tissue. The human anatomy is not a simple as bulging muscles out. They fit together like some sort of organic puzzle. Also, with the bones, you should realise that none of them should look or be straight. If we had any straight bones in the body, we wouldn't be able to balance ourselves. I suggest you find and download some Marvel Universe character sheets and find a character that has a similar body structure to your character. Pay close attention to the anatomy and how 'unstraight' it is. Also, relative to his size, some of his proportions are off.

Hate to lecture like this but a good base body is just as important as the overall look of him.

Paul
(mix_mash)
mix_mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #34
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Starting props are good, I'll be waiting some more.

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 04:39 AM   #35
TMNI VISION

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 7
awesome keep it up dude .
TMNI VISION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #36
miclepickle

Send a message via AIM to miclepickle
its too bad you dont like the 8.5 heads tall guy... because he is looking great

Portfolio-
MCampbell3d.blogspot.com
miclepickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #37
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Looks great Warlock, I'm loving the detailed layered work you're going into with your concepts. Viking stuff is always a plus too.

Proportionally, your dudes body reminds me a lot of Fixor's entry in DW4. That's not a bad thing, just thought it might be good ref for you if you haven't already looked it up.

I personally think his torso is going to be a little too big overall, considering your going to be strapping armor on top of him. Could always be adjusted as you go though, so it might be best just to stay with whatever comfy for you. Keep up the good work!

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #38
koyima

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached 
Total Awards: 1
I'm wondering, since you have started sculpting, why you haven't deleted more of the mesh on the mid section?
koyima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #39
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
dhin, DaddyDoom, wil_himura, TMNI VISION, - Thanks guys.

Cordero - Yah, I really glossed over the hands a lot in those studies. I wasn't really sure how I wanted to handle them at all. Part of me wanted to do awesome mechanical hands, but that's wouldn't fit with way I was handling the rest, so I just put in something vaguely hand-ish and called it a day.

mix_mash - I was really just playing with mass and shape, trying to find some bulk and shape I liked, and then nitpick the proportions/details later. I don't have much experience with sculpting, so that was pretty much just an experiment.

washka - Thanks. Hopefully its worth the wait.

miclepickle - To be honest, I really do like the 8.5 and if I were making just any old monster of a man warrior dude, I'd definitely refine that and roll with that. But I fleshed out my story, and I'm confident in my story, so I really want to work the character so that he fits with that.

Puckducker - Thanks. Ya, Fixor really nailed a nice solid shape with his character, definitely worth checking out. Ya, the torso is kinda large, I'm going to be going pretty light on the armor tho, and none on the torso really, so I guess I was probably exaggerating the torso to balance the armor in other places. I'll keep that in mind tho, and might play with it once I get things refined some more.

koyima - I'm not really sure I follow what you mean about "deleting the mid section". Do you mean in terms of opening up the cavity that the 3DT logo/his soul/energy source sits in? If that's what you mean, then ya, I didn't really open it up as much as in the concept, really I got a bit carried away in the concepts with the "hole" and it'll have to reigned back in to work in 3D I think.

So, in light of previous proportions and mass exploration, and the realization that I was taking things way too far into heroic direction. I reigned things back in and had another go at things. Redid the concept sketch from the ground up, based on the new proportions. I'm looking to keep him around 7 heads tall, [he's an old man after all, he's lost height].

Included here are the new concept sketch, new character sheet, a another go at the sculpt. Don't know if go anywhere near as gnarled with the skin as I did in the concept drawing, I was having too much fun with it. It'll likely be larger more solid pieces of skin with gnarled bits between them and around the edges.

Initially this sculpt was meant as another throw away to familiarize myself some more with sculpting, but about half way thru I started thinking it might work. Keep in mind, this sculpt is sans skin, I'll sculpt that over top, so that the muscles show thru where the skin is worn/torn away, so the little hiccups in places, should be hidden by the skin in the end.

Also I'm playing with making hard edges/angular muscles as opposed to rounded muscles like a normal human has. The difference between the rounded and the angled is much more evident in 3D than it is here.

I totally flubbed the proportions again when I transitioned from concept to orthos, and then again from orthos to sculpt, so I'll be poking those tomorrow.

And chrome...just because it looks cool, tho the red is much easier to see.
Attached Images

* Lightwave * User

Last edited by Warlock 279; 31-03-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #40
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Total Awards: 3
I'm not sure I like the concept, but execution looks quite good for now. It seems you're achieving your concepts proportion. I had no doubts you would... what a study of the model ffs!!!! Are those muscle fibers? flesh?

Blog
wil_himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #41
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
About the first sketch from #39.
Two words: silence zone.
It'll emphasize the zone where you want the focus go.
Keep it up!

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #42
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Looking good. Your design is really too the point, which I like. The simplicity is what is so appealing so just be careful not to go too heavy on the extra details.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 31-03-2011 at 10:15 PM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #43
koyima

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached 
Total Awards: 1
Yes, that is what I meant, but I see you have changed your concept (I prefered the missing torso though). Muscle block in looks good, except for forearm, there is some overlapping you avoided to do and some flows are incorrect. As long as they are smoothed out I wouldn't bother (although it would help), but if you are going to show them some more refs might be in order.
koyima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:51 AM   #44
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Really solid work so far, I'm definitely digging the overall concept.

Great start on the sculpt too. Right now I feel like the muscles, particularly in the leg, aren't quite overlapping enough, and feel a little more like just painted over surface. But beyond that, it's looking good so far.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #45
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Thanks for the feed back guys

wil_himura - Those muscles are living metal, for lack of a better definition. Think normal muscle that's been converted to metal, but still functions the way muscle does. I'm taking some liberties with the pliability of metal, but he's a god, and its my universe.

washka - Hahaha, ya, that was a tangled mess of crazy. I'll definitely tighten things up in 3D.

Crispy4004 - Ya, going in, I decided I was gonna focus on keeping the design simple, so it'd work well in lowpoly but more importantly so I could really concentrate on making each element of it as best I can, rather than overwhelming myself with extraneous cool-for-the-sake-of-cool-detail, and having the overall quality diminish accordingly.

koyima - Ya, there's some stuff that could be nitpicked yet, but I'm hoping to cover up most of the flaws with the skin.

Puckducker - Ya, I really struggled with getting an "overlapping" look anywhere, it constantly feels like I'm carving in rather than building up form, hopefully that'll sort itself out once I get used to sculpting some.

I'm still working on it, kinda picking thru it no real logical direction tho. Trying to sort out some details.

Update on the body, I tried to work in some better overlapping in the muscles, but I think its too late for that now, the damage was already done. Started sculpting the skin, I didn't plan on making it as gnarly it is, but I found that it contrasts well with the smoothness of the muscles, so I think I'll probably stick with it.

Sword, worked on that a lot, probably about to call it done, minus some minor details, like a basic texture pass, to give it a bit of a "hammered" metal feel I think, and I'll clean out the design from the cracks, because is shouldn't be in there. I wanted an aged well worn, but still solid enough to be used look.
Attached Images

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote