>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Myths and Legends - Nov 2009 > Sculpting - "Creature of Legend"

Old 03-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #16
berendey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge ''Army of One'' Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner in Speed Modeling -Devil's Chariot 
Total Awards: 4
Hi everyone. It's my quick concept of cartoon mermaid (RUSALKA). base mesh done with Zspheres. 3.5 hours.
hope you like it
Attached Images

berendey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
The thing about supplying your won base mesh is a good idea when thinking of possibilities. But some people might have a hard time making a good enough base...
So this gives the people who are good modelers an extremely good head start...

Couldn't you guys supply a mesh (or a couple of different ones) with which everyone could enjoy total freedom of using it or not... You should also be able to "fix" the base to your liking before going ahead...

This is what I think would be most fair.. (even though people making more out of the box stuff wouldn't have it quite as easy as the other contestants...)

Edit: great contest idea though!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813

Last edited by hulahuga; 03-11-2009 at 11:45 AM..
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #18
netinel

Hello everyone
My model will be the Сentaur
netinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #19
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahuga View Post
The thing about supplying your won base mesh is a good idea when thinking of possibilities. But some people might have a hard time making a good enough base...
So this gives the people who are good modelers an extremely good head start...

Couldn't you guys supply a mesh (or a couple of different ones) with which everyone could enjoy total freedom of using it or not... You should also be able to "fix" the base to your liking before going ahead...
That's a pretty good idea. But it would give a time advantage to people who choose the supplied mesh, over the people who want to make their own.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #20
sammuelsama

Really nice Challenge...

Wow really nice challenge, I think we will see a lot of good stuff here soon... I will participate too with my low knowledge
sammuelsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #21
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
That's a pretty good idea. But it would give a time advantage to people who choose the supplied mesh, over the people who want to make their own.
Yeah exactly. But it's still so that those people are usually pretty good at their particular app... And they could still make modifications of a preexisting mesh...

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #22
goast666
Toast

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I love the idea of recording our work sessions by the way. It really helps to ground the pieces. It should also make for some sweet vids to watch the sculpting of the winning pieces! On the other hand it should help to remove the "honesty" part from these comps. I know sometimes I have to stop and think...there is no way that is 4hrs of work. Maybe it's just me though.

Alright, a couple of questions.

Most of my sculpts get a timelapse right in Z already. Would this be a "usable" way to show time on task? I'm asking mainly because that is one less app needed to be open and more RAM getting to go straight to Z.

Also, Can we sculpt on any piece (a box) and retopo post to give us a "base mesh". I mean, I find breaking the two pieces apart (form and function) to be an invaluable asset. By that I mean I work on my sculpt with as little as possible. Basically box modeling stick people or dogs etc. And then sculpting until I have the idea of form and silhouette, then doing a retopo to give me the technical side of the polys so I can get even more out of the mesh.

Since we have 10hrs on this I don't see a problem with taking an hour at the end to retopo. It's basically the same as taking an hour at the start to get a base mesh.

Does that make sense?

Last edited by goast666; 03-11-2009 at 06:38 PM..
goast666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #23
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by goast666 View Post
I love the idea of recording our work sessions by the way. It really helps to ground the pieces. It should also make for some sweet vids to watch the sculpting of the winning pieces! On the other hand it should help to remove the "honesty" part from these comps. I know sometimes I have to stop and think...there is no way that is 4hrs of work. Maybe it's just me though.

Alright, a couple of questions.

Most of my sculpts get a timelapse right in Z already. Would this be a "usable" way to show time on task? I'm asking mainly because that is one less app needed to be open and more RAM getting to go straight to Z.

Also, Can we sculpt on any piece (a box) and retopo post to give us a "base mesh". I mean, I find breaking the two pieces apart (form and function) to be an invaluable asset. By that I mean I work on my sculpt with as little as possible. Basically box modeling stick people or dogs etc. And then sculpting until I have the idea of form and silhouette, then doing a retopo to give me the technical side of the polys so I can get even more out of the mesh.

Since we have 10hrs on this I don't see a problem with taking an hour at the end to retopo. It's basically the same as taking an hour at the start to get a base mesh.

Does that make sense?
Sure, you can use the Zbrush timelapse. It's important for the judges to see the time you spent, in case you reach the top 3. The video itselft will not be released publicly unless you want to - this of course applies to everybody.

Sure, retopo at will. No restrictions on the base mesh here!

Old 03-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #24
goast666
Toast

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
woot!

Thanks Freespace!
Old 03-11-2009, 07:45 PM   #25
DELTATHUND3R

insanity...by the end of this the amount of bizarre myths and legends characters is gunna be insane.
Love the list you gave us....So hard to choose....Im heading down the giant turtle with world on his back,pheonix or pegasus...shortening the list lol.
Maxtx=awsome choice you have agreat amount refrence material too really make yours come alive..and the skills.
berendey=cute mermaid nice start...
very nice challenge good luck to all.
DELTATHUND3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:57 AM   #26
adio38

First Comp.

Well, I have been waiting for a competition that interests me to jump in on for my first competition. I think this one will be it. So Im in. Good luck to everybody.
adio38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:00 AM   #27
capitan_popo
3d junkie

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature 
OH MAN THIS IS GOING TO ME AMAZING!!!
Was looking at the camstudio website and only found an .exe are there none that I could find that could work on a mac?
Old 04-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #28
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitan_popo View Post
OH MAN THIS IS GOING TO ME AMAZING!!!
Was looking at the camstudio website and only found an .exe are there none that I could find that could work on a mac?
You could try this here: http://www.chimoosoft.com/products/captureme/ , or use Zbrush's timelapse function.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #29
adio38

Pan

I settled on doing a Satyr.
Attached Images

Last edited by adio38; 04-11-2009 at 02:23 PM..
adio38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #30
oriol_bagan

Send a message via MSN to oriol_bagan
Talking

i,m sculpt a daemonette for slaanesh

Last edited by oriol_bagan; 04-11-2009 at 02:05 PM..
oriol_bagan is offline   Reply With Quote