>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 21-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
mces0421

I' m into 2D Animation :(

I'm currently enrolled and studying 2D Animation and this is a short offered course for 6 moths. I'm mostly interested in 2D work But I am disappointed our teachers taught us only basic. Finishing some works or just fill in the existing work. Any suggestion?
mces0421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
Tjakalen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! 
Total Awards: 1
Animate, ultimately there is only so much that can be taught, wether it's 3D or 2D the same rules still applies. Animation is mostly about having a good sense of timing, motionflow and style. It's like drawing or modelling, you just need to keep doing it untill you develop a sense of how it's done, any input you get from a teacher or book is secondary to what you realize youself by doing it and watching what others have done.

It's like playing an instrument, you can look at a sick guitarist shredding away and you understand that you need to pluck the strings in that same order at the same speed to replicate the sound, even though you understand exactly how it is done you just can't do it without putting in the hours (more like years actully, but you get the point).
Tjakalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 02:19 AM   #3
jeremiah_bigley
Modeler

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
I don't know where your drawing skills are but the better artist you are the easier animating will be. Do gesture sketches to help with people. I used to go to the mall, suck down some starbucks, and just sketch people as they walk by.
Everytime I went I got better and better.
Tjakalen is right. You need to practice and get your timing down. Because my 2d teacher really didn't tell us how to do anything. She just critiqued. And this teacher has worked on numerous Disney films.

practice... Study 2d and stop motion, and remember the 12 principles of animation.

Squash and stretch
Anticipation
Staging
Pose to pose and Straight ahead
Follow through and overlapping action
Slow ins and outs
Arcs of motion
Secondary Action
Timing
Exaggeration
Solid drawing
Appeal

Make sure you are doing pose to pose (your main keys) before you start tweening.
jeremiah_bigley is offline   Reply With Quote