>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge > THE Sculpting Challenge - Archives

Old 30-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
THE Sculpting Challenge - 009 - Magical Staff

Welcome to THE Ninth Speed Sculpting Challenge - Where 1st 2nd and 3rd Places are all getting high detail 3d prints of their winning entries! Whether you're new to sculpting, to the Threedy forums, or you're a seasoned veteran, come and join in on the Sculpting madness – because there's plenty of fun and learning to be had by all!

The Prizes: (previous Manimal sculpting challenge winner's prize below)

1st Place - A 3D print of their winning fantasy staff sculpt sponsored by 3DTotal and Growit's new model printing service - (approx 7" tall)
2nd Place - A 3D print of their winning fantasy staff sculpt sponsored by 3DTotal and Growit's new model printing service - (approx 7" tall)
3rd Place - A 3D print of their winning fantasy staff sculpt sponsored by 3DTotal and Growit's new model printing service - (approx 7" tall)

See more details of this amazing prize here.

Our guide for preparing models for 3d printing can also be downloaded here.

The Rules:
1. The competition will last two weeks, which will be allocated to creating and submitting the entries, followed by several days of judging and voting for the entries – at which point the next competition will start.

2. The moderators will be supplying a base mesh for each competition, from which everyone will start sculpting. This is so we all get an equal start and it keeps us on topic. You must work only with the base meshes provided and must not add any additional base meshes or Subtools!

3. There will be a time limit for the sculpting. Spend no longer than the allocated time limit, then post a screen-grab of your model. No cheating – we are relying on your honesty here!

4. Do not add any meshes other than those sanctioned in this competition brief.

5. As the base mesh shows, the sculpt is a staff sculpt. Do not sculpt a mage/wizard/sorcerer/warlock alongside it for this competition. Do so in your free time and out of the competition, if you really want to.

6. No rendering, texturing, lighting or rigging – let's keep it all about the high-res sculpt! What we are looking for is the quality of the sculpt you can produce "under pressure". If your entry is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognisable and on topic.

7. For your final entry, post a screen-grab from your software with your finished work in it. It's fine to present this stuff nicely, with nice labelling etc., but do not add any post-production to the images themselves. These images must be uploaded to our servers by using the "manage attachments" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external image files. Larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified.

8. You can have multiple entries, but you can have only one final entry for each competition.

9. Do not create your own WIP thread. Simply post all WIP screen-grabs in here and your FINAL entry in the Final Submissions thread, here.

These rules apply to everybody taking part – there will be NO exceptions!

We've attached the supplied base meshes at the bottom of this post. Take them and go subdivide!

The Brief:
Time limit: 5 hours
Start Date: 30th September, 20:00 GMT+0
Deadline: 14th October, 12:00 GMT+0 (For information about GMT click here)
Subject: Magical Staff

Know that the age of magic has once again settled over the land. During these times of arcane manifestations, all has fallen into desolate chaos. What were once vast kingdoms are now crumbled and the armies of men, elves, and all other races battle fiercely, manipulated in secret by powerful lords of magic.

These wizards are few, but they control forces of unimaginable power, ranging from the mastery over the elements to wielding the energies of the dark abyss itself.

Yet for all the forces available to them, these men of power would be as nothing without their legendary weapons of magic channeling, each's own magical staff.

Fellow sculpters, at the start of this dark arcane age, it comes to you to depict these magic staves of immense power. Along with a magical staff, you may decorate it by adding up to three trinkets ( using the base meshes provided ) that can be anything from crystals to windswept ribbons, etc.

As the wyvern flies, now march unto your work.
The Meshes:
Your base meshes are attached to this post - simply click on the attachments at the end of this post, save the files and you're on your way!

The base mesh is a basic, featureless tall box ( we really don't want to influence your creative vision on the subject at hand ). You just need to import the staff.obj file into your ZBrush or Mudbox scene, and get started!

You are also allowed to add three trinkets to your staff. As such, use the trinket.obj file up to three times. Please also note that you mustn't add any more objects! Use only what has been provided and nothing more!! This is the challenge after all!

Attached Files
File Type: obj ssc009_staff.obj (21.7 KB, 521 views)
File Type: obj ssc009_trinket.obj (1.2 KB, 475 views)

Last edited by Freespace-3DT; 30-09-2008 at 08:21 PM..
Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
DELTATHUND3R

oooo so excited.awsome challenge,already got my mind buzzing .
DELTATHUND3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 08:32 PM   #3
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Welcome DeltaThund3r! Looking forward to see what you conjure up.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Old 30-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
slangford
Mover of Verts

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #9 - 2nd Place 
Total Awards: 2
Woohoo! Lets Do This!!! I had to skip the last one, but I'm sure as hell not missing this one! Good luck everyone!
slangford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
M_Cederstrom
Right Here

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge 'scary!' 
Total Awards: 7
count me in on this one.
M_Cederstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
Pedro Toledo

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challeng  #007: 'Pirates - Past, Present & Future The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the sculpting challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 5
Nice! I'm travelling right now, but if I get back in time I would like to join.

Good luck all!!!

Manufato
Pedro Toledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 11:38 PM   #7
capitan_popo
3d junkie

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature 
Total Awards: 1
hopefully will have time for this one plus with the new 3.12 for mac, if I get it in time, which I think I will!!
Old 01-10-2008, 01:53 AM   #8
Joseph Pomeisl

Send a message via MSN to Joseph Pomeisl
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: Created a model SDK and is sharing it with the forum, for free. Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
...I'm in...
Joseph Pomeisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Excellent, great to see so many Sculpting Challenge veterans coming back. Now, when do we start seeing some WIPs?

Old 01-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
DELTATHUND3R

Ive started this one already.Sketched up 3 various styles of staff.
Decided to go for a demon staff.I have spent 53 minutes on the skull made from 1 trinket.2nd trinket i made a cobra, time at this stage is 35mins.i intend to spend 1 hr or just over on her.I then cloned the cobra to make my 3rd trinket.
Heres a screengrab of the 3 trinkets.
So many ideas so little time only 1 staff.
Attached Images

DELTATHUND3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Awesome start, Delta! Nice way to use trinkets, too. It didn't even cross my mind.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #12
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
Wow Delta that rocks!

Good luck everyone on this one, forgot to say early

Kind Regards

CG.
Twitter
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #13
M3N7H0L5
eatin' ain't cheatin'

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
full speed and ready to go
Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 PM   #14
Longhi

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge  ''After the smoke clears'' The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge ''jack 'o lantern third place'' 
Total Awards: 13
This is really great.
I just love this sculpting challenges, I think it should be everyweek again if its possible administrators...
so, I'm in for shure.
congrats for the theme, is awesome
and really nice delta.
cya folks
www.glaucolonghi.com
http://www.facebook.com/glaucolonghi
Longhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #15
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhi View Post
This is really great.
I just love this sculpting challenges, I think it should be everyweek again if its possible administrators...
so, I'm in for shure.
congrats for the theme, is awesome
and really nice delta.
cya folks
Woah, those were some hardcore weeks. Fact is there are several reasons why the challenges are a bit more spread out now. Most importantly is that taking two weeks gives more people a chance to join ( which I hope they will! ). Each challenge also takes one or two mods to constantly check over them, and need love and attention.

But here's what. Tell your artist friends about the challenges. Join in yourself ( this goes for ANYONE reading this right now ), we don't care if you're an amateur, a pro, or just curious. If I see a growth in entries in this challenge than in past ones, I'll make sure you get challenges more often ( maybe every two weeks, if all bodes well ).

Now get to sculpting those staves. Wizards don't just cast spells with pitchforks. Mana doesn't grow on trees. Warlocks don't summon with raspberries... ah, you get the idea.

Tags
3dtotal, challenge, magical, print, sculpt, speed, staff