>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 16-04-2009, 04:09 AM   #76
Sebiomegas
I am Alpha and Omega!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War character! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
These days video games are all about hyper realism. It is a logical evolution but your design reminds me that style is everything. We can't replace reality.

I was wondering what material you used for the latest W.I.P post. Is it one of the default MatCap materials ? And also is it a viewport pic or best render ?

Thanks!

War General Pet Portrait-

Old 20-04-2009, 01:29 AM   #77
Fixor

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Hi guys! It was a bit like crossing the desert last week: Bugged Max files + I couldn't work as much as I wanted + I was too tired to work efficiently when I could. I needed to find the mojo back... And your encouragements plus some good nights of sleep helped!

So now, posting time!

Coldturkey - Heh, Jason is a cute teddy bear, really.

Cordero - Hey thanks mate! You're right about the spikes, I'll see if I have enough time to resculpt a bit cheers dude.

chris_solo - Merci mon bon chris_solo! Tu me motives pour aller jusqu'au bout!!!!

Malus - Hey thanks mate! I've just seen your update, really nice skull! Almost there . You can take the next three weeks off to finish your beast

MonteCristo - Okay I see. Same kind of build and mask-like face. It should be okay with the colours and details, though. Well, I'll make it so!

washka - Hep washka! Merci beaucoup! L'Australie, c'est sympa, je suis a Brisbane. Il fait beau toute l'annee . Au niveau musical, le hard rock n'est pas du tout mon truc mais ce serait ptet bien celui de mon Demon, a moins qu'il ecoute Vivaldi, juste pour me contre-dire... Pas mal l'idee du joueur de Hockey, je ferai une "winning pose" style gardien de but pour tester
Tu es etudiant dans quelle ecole? Et ton projet est un Robot pour DWIV?? Tres bien ca!

Sebiomegas - Thanks a lot mate! Nice compliment I don't have access to the info for the material right now, I'll post it later today. It's a viewport screenshot with a MatCap that's not in the default ones.

And some WIPS:

Detailing of the weapons:

Lowpoly WIP of the Body

DWIV - 3D - Fixor - Eckhart
Fixor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 02:50 AM   #78
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Nice low poly so far. Everything is looking pretty clean and well proportioned. There are a couple spots you could pull polys from if you're hard up for them (the spikes on the back could loose a few loops....probably won't be seeing their profile much), but I imagine you've got everything well in hand.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 03:07 AM   #79
Ichiban

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: top News Bar plug The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
It's looking great. I love the clean mesh and the sculpts. those tools are really nice. keep it up
Old 20-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #80
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Cool tools. It will take a lot of texture space...
Perhaps you could put the Uv's on top each other for the handles. or not.

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #81
Steamtrooper

Send a message via MSN to Steamtrooper
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Total Awards: 2
Yup, like Sebiomegas said you got style, proportions are spot on and everything is looking slickety slick. Love the metal texture detailing, now thats a good use of normal maps imo.

I have to mention this for the elderly here who might recall it - but this is like a very cool reload of an old pc engine game character called 'Splatterhouse', was that an influence? or is this just convergent thinking? This isnt a pointed comment at all so take no offence, it just instantly reminds me of the good old days.

edit: While trying to find an old pic of said gane I found this good news and some nice pics - woot!

Splatterhouse link

Hula - Id lay good money on those handles being overlaid.

Keep it up.

Last edited by Steamtrooper; 20-04-2009 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: found some good news re:splatterhouse.
Steamtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #82
Fixor

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Hello hello

Sebiomegas - Hey mate, I found it: the material is called Monte_WhiteQueen

Puckducker - Thanks mate! I'm done with the toolset and I still got a spare 600 tris, any idea what to do with it?

Ichiban - thanks mate! only 3 weeks left!

hulahuga - Yeah! Maximum piling!!!

Steamtrooper - Thanks mate! 'Splatterhouse'? Pure coincidence like it sometimes happens I like the style, the concepts are awesome! 1988 for the first game? I was 14: too young to *hum* play that *hum* kind of games

Tonite: Lowpoly of the weapons and some stacked UVS. Total tris so far: 9384.

BTW I have no idea for the pedestal so any suggestion/help would be awesome!

DWIV - 3D - Fixor - Eckhart
Fixor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #83
Steamtrooper

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I did it despite my sloth like nature 
Pedestal - seems to me its just screaming 'TOOLSHED'. Maybe a two wall diorhama of inside a dusty shed, with 'the man', sharpening a knife along a strap hung from wall, and or taking down an instrument of destruction.

Time permitting you could even have his 'regular' clothes hung up somewhere to hint at a less dramatic daytime lifestyle? S-Smart? KFC? you get the idea.

edit: Room/pedestal restrains - grrrr - you could do same effect using a butches table/chopping block, maybe a blade grinder - the old pedal kind, it should still work I reckon.

Last edited by Steamtrooper; 20-04-2009 at 01:37 PM..
Old 20-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #84
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
operating room.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 02:29 PM   #85
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
The shop idea sounds cool!

What are the size restrictions of the pedestal?

WIP
Old 20-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #86
Steamtrooper

Awards Showcase
here..
Quote:
Your Presentation Pedestal's Budget:
ALL 3d entries must include a pedestal in their
Presentation Image. You have unrestricted polygons
and textures to create a pedestal with the
following guidelines:
A pedestal is NOT a floor and/or it is NOT a
room. It's a block, pillar, coffin, box, crate,
stone slab, etc. Pedestal Examples: Hela by
Chang Gun Nam | The Mole by Rémi Monier
No additional weapons or gear that your
character can pick up and use can be put on the
pedestal.
No additional characters, pets, animals, pieces
of characters, dead characters, etc, can be put
on your pedestal. Only Bones and skulls are
fine. The shop idea sounds cool!
Old 20-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #87
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Everyone is going for the final lap now! Your modeling looks awesome. So let's see how it'll turn out in color etc...!!!
JuST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #88
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Huge rock where the dude stands leaning forward roaring with swords in hands. (cliché but nice)

WIP
Old 20-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #89
Joseph Pomeisl

Send a message via MSN to Joseph Pomeisl
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: Created a model SDK and is sharing it with the forum, for free. Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Nice work, man. Keep it up!
Joseph Pomeisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #90
Malus
Dean Ferguson

Eeep..you're powering ahead mate, I'm still doing the high res!!

Love the gadgets, you sir have a twisted mind, I like. :P
Malus is offline   Reply With Quote