>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
Coldturkey
What r'ya looking at!?

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 2
Wink DWIV - 3D - Coldturkey - Serus

SO SO so, I have done it again, Promise i have made my mind up!!!

You will see proof soon! lol

going wiht last design!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Jojomondag
Have too go on never stop

weowao

Great drawings you can see the anatomy is of like on the creatures hand and such but it doesent really matter it looks great. Where have you learned your colouring technique? as i too wanna get better working with colors. Do you use line art at all? Anyhow great concept hoping too see something cool ^^

My favourite is the last one!

Greets/jojo

www.jojomondag.se
Jojomondag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
I like the last one best, tool.
JuST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
Coldturkey
What r'ya looking at!?

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Pfffff, colour, dude 2 years now, and i still hating colour, because i still struggle, trust me!! I am only doing colour so much because someone said, IF I wanna start liking colour I would have to do it alot, regardless of my feelings... get me? Is weird to hear it but you only like what your good at. It makes sense, if i simplify it in a mental process.

Formula of "The Normal process of learning!"

Physical Process
Working ---> Finished Work ---> Appreciation ---> repeats... Results More work = more exp

Mental Process
Motivated ---> Satisfied ---> Assured ---> repeats... Results More work = more exp

The above formula presents a normal person who would learn normally in his field of comfort. He'll tend to work on the things that he is good at, because the results are of higher quality and the reception of others is far better. But he will never learn to his full potentual if he sticks to this patten. Because at birth all our base skills are at zero, thanks to our playful childhood we gain some skills in some areas, which are nutured and invested in schools, and they direct you into a path that they see you have a good chance in progressing further. This doesn't mean you are not good at other things, just means you are not good right now and would have a longer learning curve since your base skill is far lower. Besides, time is money, and no one wants to invest more than it is really needed, so don't take it personal when "tightarses" tell you you can't do something because you are not good enough.

Now to really learn something is to throw away this mental process of motivation and assurence. First of all "Assurence" is the worste emotion to stop you from learning anything new, why? Because when you are sure, like getting good feedback of other people in forums you feel it not necessary to question your work. However, the most powerful tool when learning something is to question yourself, it, or whatever it is you are doing. If you stop questioning yourself, you stop learning. And assurance does that, so be careful.
Motivation is the preemptive strike, it hits you before you have proof of it striking. SO ignore it. The more you are ignorant to your emotions the more you have time to do the work and questioning. Of course the most common thing said is when someone's work is crap and they admit it not being good at it to show their demotivation for this subject and turn else where in dis-interest. Resulting in defeat before challenging the curve.

Fact is, humans have BIG-brains that allow us to learning anyhting we create. How fast is the difference. Inside your brain, what goes on in there when you are working and not working is the key. You always have a choice. You decide to listen to your "voice of assurence and motivation" OR you can work with a inquisitive nature. Always wondering and question everything you are doing at all times.

True success comes from questioning everything.

Formula of "The Advanced process of learning!"

Physical Process
Working ---> Working ---> Working---> repeats... Results More work = more exp

Mental Process
Question ---> Question ---> Question ---> repeats... Results More questions = more answers

Hope you will read it, or i will come and hang you lol ^^

idea

Last edited by Coldturkey; 08-04-2009 at 11:23 AM..
Coldturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
Great concepts. I love your process of learning, and you are spot on with it. It can be hard to question, and keep working on things you don't know how to do, but it will be rewarding in the end, no matter what.

As for the concepts, I really liked the last one in the first batch. I think it has more "evilness" and better shapes. Although I do like where you are taking this last drawing. Keep em coming, I want more
Old 08-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
Jojomondag

Thx

Coldturkey i read it! and it was very inspiring, I have too read it again as it was a little hard too understand everything (my English isn't the best).

But somehow i don't agree on all your points. For example Ive questioned my work too much, too the point that I'm telling myself I'm not good I'm not meant too do this and stupid stuff like that.
Just because I'm questioning stuff i do too much you understand? and that in the end makes me not whant too start working on new stuff, or continuing my old stuff because i question it too much!

Lately Ive started too get the attitude i don't give a **** how stuff turns out as long its fun doing it. And it kinda works.

I have another question about the psychology behind having fun and doing allot of art response too your (Working ---> Working ---> Working---> repeats... Results More work = more exp).
Its because you showed your devotion too my first question in such a good way i wanna see if you can help me with this other problem I'm facing that makes me lazy in my work (i dont wanna be lazy i wanna work work work and get better).
This thing has too do with environment. I'm currently unemployed and well when i had work i was working very hard on my art all the little time i had too do art, Now when I'm unemployed and have the time too do art all the time but I don't because well i get distracted on other things like plaing mini games online looking at television and being lazy and i hate myself for it and in the end it starts a bad cycle, got any tips?.

Ahh back too your art :P

Love the new design! cool spikes somehow too i still am a bit in love in you monster from your first post the one in the bottom there. Anyhow the new one is also great! Love his Hands now they seam deadly! the design too the right is alot better!

Would be fun if you post a bit about your thinking process behind your designs too, soo one can see why the design looks as it does. You dont seam too have any trouble writing long post soo :P

I gave my opinion on your piece its just some things i would think about ignore them if you dont agree only my opinion :P

www.jojomondag.se
Old 08-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
Coldturkey
What r'ya looking at!?

Awards Showcase
FUk!! What is it with you! You want me to trash your lights!!?

OOOH goood, it's ****ing distracting!!!! What don't you ****ing understand? ...i'm gonna fuking kick your arse. THINK!! for one fuking second, shut the fuk up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTihsJQHt48
Old 08-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Jojomondag

Coldturkey? im not sure how too take that lol.

www.jojomondag.se
Old 08-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
chrisskinner

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Ha ha ha! I think it's funny Jojo!...

Coldturkey - great paintings! I think the guy with 4 arms is the strongest concept out of these.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
Jojomondag

Yeah chris but still you could take it kinda wrong if its directed to you :P but yeah it was quite funny its the guy from batman and american psycho, Too get that mad you must be alittlebit psycho i guess.

www.jojomondag.se
Old 08-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
Coldturkey
What r'ya looking at!?

Awards Showcase
HEhe, my way of joking, jojo.

What I am saying, you got to lighten up! Forget about improving just a have joke. And stop smoking the green ****.

Last edited by Coldturkey; 08-04-2009 at 05:31 PM..
Coldturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
Joseph Pomeisl

Send a message via MSN to Joseph Pomeisl
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: Created a model SDK and is sharing it with the forum, for free. Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
This should be a better thing for 3d. 5d should keep you working so you'll be learnin' like J5.
Joseph Pomeisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #13
Jojomondag

Hey how did you know i was smoking that green **** (i havent smoked for a year now though)! and how come you drew my avatar with drugs are bad mkay your funny dude : P

www.jojomondag.se
Old 08-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
Joseph Pomeisl

Send a message via MSN to Joseph Pomeisl
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: Created a model SDK and is sharing it with the forum, for free. Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! 
J5 is alive, man. Need more input. Short Circuit - go rent it and laugh and laugh, then cry.
Are you dropping your 2d?
Joseph Pomeisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #15
Coldturkey
What r'ya looking at!?

Awards Showcase
Yup for now, but 2d dont take me longer then 3 days all in all. so who knows, but just wanna get 3d done.

Doing basemesh as we speak