>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > The Game Art Challenge

Old 30-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
flappy

Flappy - Gender Bender - Kamé Sennin

Hi,
I'm new one, and I must say that's this contest is so interesting. So I decided to try to do it, in my vacation time, in order to improve my skills.
I've got some ideas, but before opening a new thread, I want to now what's your preference. (I've got mine). If you recognize them, that's the first step

Moreover, be cool with my english, because my last english lesson begin to be older than ... hmmpf...

Good luck and all comments are welcome
Attached Images

flappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Welcome aboard.

Go with the middle one. Easily the most recognizable of the three and I think it'd make for a quite funny entry. TBH I'm not sure I'd recognize the other two as Kame Sennin. Alternatively, if you want other options, you could always try his black/white suit, that he wears for the martial arts tournaments.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
flappy

Sorry for no recent post, I’ve got some trouble with Internet connexion.

Thanks Warlock 279 for your comment.
You know, when I choose this character of Kame Senin, I’m thinking about my grand-mother, and I laughed about imagine her as Kame Senin. And she always wearing this kind of cloth, like I try to paint : a dress with a lot of little details on it, she was wearing glasses too and she’s got a small JacksonFive’s cut’s hairs. That’s why I start with this option.
Moreover, I’m thinking it was more interesting about choosing summer-cloth of Kame Senin and sculpt it in a girl version, than choosing a all-black-kimono which will be more strict => I’m not a real fan of DBZ, but I remember more Kame Senin as a sexual-addicted with fun attitude in his island, than a big master of kung fu, even if it was his job. I’m wrong ?

But I will try to do different options concerning the clothes (as you say), for the head, the hairs, if I have time, => the goal of this challenge is to recognize the hero with the best options, isn’t it ?

And look to my first sculpting sketch.

All comments are permitted.

NB : for my first post, I tried to make a "gender bender" from Obelix (friend of Asterix) and Alex from Kubrick's movie "A clockwork Orange"
Attached Images

Last edited by flappy; 13-08-2009 at 12:45 AM..
Old 13-08-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
flappy

Just one closest shot from the head and some reference.
Attached Images

Old 14-08-2009, 04:12 AM   #5
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Looks pretty good so far. I'd move the shell just a little higher on the back, but that can be done later. I like what you're doing with the hair, that looks pretty good so far. The face looks pretty good.

She needs some wrinkles in her face, and maybe some flabby skin under her arms. Her low legs could use some work yet, maybe drop down a sub-d level or two, smooth them out some, and build back up, they're looking a little "lumpy" in places.

Nice start, keep it up.

And, yes, you are correct, Kame-Sennin fits the "dirty old man" stereotype to the T.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:17 AM   #6
mimuf

Not bad at all!!!

What to say, I agree, the shell needs to be visible from the front so it has to be a bit higher.
As for the "vibe" of the character I think you've done a great job man.
Some updates would be welcome though, so we can see what you've improved since last time

But yeah, I like the concept and I like her features so far.

Mimufely yours
mimuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
flappy

As Jean de la Fontaine says :

Cicada, having sung her song
All summer long,
Found herself without a crumb
When winter winds did come.

No real time to finish this contest during holidays. I've got no real reason or perhaps just one : Holydays.
But I want to finish it, just in order to improve my 3D.

Thanks for the comment, I've modified the base shape, and this is a shot from the pedestals I wanted to do where Kame Senin would be on. To be continued
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #8
mimuf

No progress

Nothing?

Really?

nothing????????!!!!!!!!!!
mimuf is offline   Reply With Quote