>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V

Old 17-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #31
mix_mash

Important DW5 Q's

Hey Big Toe,

I have a few questions that maybe only you can answer regarding the comp this year. These relate to the 3d art entry.

1) When they say "God", are we allowed "Goddess" as well, since they are in the same realm?

2) What about reflection maps? I know they weren't in the rules but it might just be one of those 'accidentally' left out things".

3) I don't understand this rule "2-sided polies with two separate uv channels are permitted." A working example, if you please?

4) Even though we should be creating things from scratch, are we allowed to use any non-specific old meshes for our concepts beforehand? EG instead of recreating a human mesh, we can use an old one.
If it IS allowed, how far can we go with what meshes can be re-used or not?

5) If the above is allowed, can we use other peoples' meshes (IE From Poser, MakeHuman, etc...) in the concepting stage on the process (as long as the mesh is not indentifiable or changed enough in the concept)?

I hope you can answer these Q's for me. I've already decided on a male god being but I thought it might be useful info for others Re: goddess.

I look forward to your entry this year, too. I want to see what you come up with.

All the best to everyone taking part.

Paul
(mix_mash)
mix_mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #32
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland 
Total Awards: 4
Just guessing* here:

3)
2-sided polies with two separate uv channels are permitted - This means that you may use 2 sided polies to reduce the polycount on you mesh. Separate UV Channels means that you can have those two sides of the poly mapped to different textures, normal maps etc. Example: torn and tattered flag or cloak with the opposite side looking different from the other.

4) Um, no. It says pretty plainly that everything must be made for this comp and only this comp. Reusing bases of past work isn't allowed.

5) Very much no. Using others work for your base is bad. Bad Art, Bad workmanship, just plain bad bad bad. Plus if you can re-use your stuff, you REALLY cannot reuse someone else's. (For concept work it might slide, but NONE of that could be in your final no matter how modified... trust me it is easier just to leave it out from the get go.)

*guessing is based on Common Sense and previous ruling in previous wars

Last edited by dhin; 17-03-2011 at 11:30 PM..
dhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #33
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Hangon...
Re: number 5..

If you're planning on painting over a poser render to design your 3d character I'm sure that's fine - just as I'm sure it'd be ok to paint over a photo.

Zbrushing a poser mesh and submitting it would not be fine.
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #34
mix_mash

Just want to clarify... using old meshes and others meshes IE Poser etc... , I'm ONLY referring to the concepting stage and as reference NOT the final modeling. Personally, I don't think it should be wrong considering that you can do things like create a NEW unified skin in Zbrush or making a Boolean with the other mesh and something new to create a new unique mesh.

I will definitely be using photos to construct my concept design but in case I want to create a rough 3d version of it for reference I don't see how pre-made/others' meshes shouldn't be allowed to be used.

The final mesh will definitely be my own mesh but I need to clarify because it's not a black and white sort of issue.

Thanks for the replies so far but I'm hoping to get something more official from Big Toe.

Paul
(mix_mash)
Old 18-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #35
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland 
Well for concept sure you should able to use what ever you want, and sorry if I miss read you previous posting.

Just a warning though that it may come back to bite you later if you do use it even just for concept. So I would just be careful. Buzzy had "issues" with one of his entries because people from other sites thought (but had no proof what-so-ever, and anyone that believed them were F'ing idiots,) that he had simple recycled one of his older meshes because of similarities in the topology. Long story short, he scrapped a perfectly good entry to do a new one with over half the comp already over (SEVERE handicap.) The new one was really good, but the fact is people get REALLY pissy if you do something good enough to threaten them, and they will start trying to get you kicked out... I prefer not to give them any ammo.
Old 18-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #36
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
using a pre-made mesh to concept would be ok. But, understand if for any reason, people start thinking that you are using the pre-made mesh as a startign point for your final mesh, you could come under fire for cheating.

What I mean is, you start with a pre-made, you plop a few items on it to make it look different, then you say to yourself that it looks different enough. I should be good. Your not good. You just lost.

What I would do, paint-over your pre-made mesh to get an idea of where you want to go. Don't model over. After you get an idea, build from scratch, dont give the haters a reason to hate.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #37
mix_mash

I suppose for the comp I'll have to watch what I do then. I've started my concept already using photos. After that I'll probably just make a low poly proxy and work from there.

Anyway, Big Toe could you please answer Q's 2 and 3 from my original post?

http://forums.3dtotal.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=31

Thanks.

Paul
(mix_mash)
Old 18-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #38
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
I can answer 1 easy enough... Yes, god is general and nuder, so you can make a god or goddess. Plenty of people are doing goddesses.
Old 18-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #39
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
2) thats ok. Make away

3) its another way of saying that you have more than one uv set for a mesh. If you want to texture a single sided plane, but you want both sides to have different textures, you would turn on double sided in your texture options.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 19-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #40
mix_mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG ToE-3DT View Post
3) its another way of saying that you have more than one uv set for a mesh. If you want to texture a single sided plane, but you want both sides to have different textures, you would turn on double sided in your texture options.
The first part I get. It's common to have different UV sets. But, does that mean that you can have two 2k colour texture sheets, for example, instead of just the one? I thought the rule is only one 2k sheet per attribute.

This is the part that bugs me because I will have some clothes for my char which will need double sided texturing.

Oh, wait a second, this might be a program biased thing. I use Lightwave usually and 'double sided' means the same texture will be on both sides and not have the option of a new texture on side B. In Lightwave, if you want double sided with unique texturing, you need to create a flipped copy of the polygons, ergo, more geometry. This may be why I got confused.

I suppose I might have to do a double render instead for the double sided cloth parts of my character. It sucks but I don't want to waste geometry.

Thanks for that, Big Toe.

Cheers,
Paul
(mix_mash)

PS: Big Toe, they killed Justin Beiber on an ep of CSI. You might wanna watch that scene a few times to your satisfaction.

Last edited by mix_mash; 19-03-2011 at 01:32 AM..
Old 19-03-2011, 01:49 AM   #41
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
I recorded that episode. I keep it handy for days I feel down.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 19-03-2011, 02:47 AM   #42
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Send a message via MSN to Neil_F01
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #61 -  
were we ment to sign up to that game artisan site as well..
Neil_F01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 02:52 AM   #43
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
yes.

When the War site is fully up and running, you will need to be signed up with game artisan's so that you can officially sign up for the war. A thumbnail page will be created that will link the war site to your wip thread.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 19-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #44
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Send a message via MSN to Neil_F01
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #61 -  
yeah cool.. thanks.. just gonna sit and see if i can come up with some sketches.. (i'm sure you can remember how bad my speed painting was.. thank god for default hey.. lol)..
Neil_F01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #45
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
It's time to get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictional Yellow-Belly Sissies
U dur cheatz cauze U no mak Baz Mecshz from scratchz Lik I do cauze I no know bout Zspherez 2, Remesh, Sculptriz, & Shadowbox juzt az fast. U'ze shuldz Disqualified"

"U'ze cheatz cause U models flow lik Old Mecshz. I beuild 4 scratch, Tepo differnt evry time, evn dough dI culd Mak 3Dcoat auto mak Mecshz 4 me 2 strt."

Nut up and enter the year 2011. The game has changed. No one using a pre-built base mesh, or final mesh for that matter, has any real advantage anymore. The rules do give people the right to complain, but there is little reason too.
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote