>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Inorganic models/scenes'

Old 03-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #31
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

I was really planning on continuing the cockpit Today however my reference shows various different instrument panel layouts so I've asked my source to confirm what the historically correct layout would be.

In the meantime I've added various details on the main wing like brackets to lift the plane to mount ski's, the fuel cap and the grounding point for when refuelling.
After that I finished up the tail section with the exception of the wheel which I still need to do, so that is pretty much done now as well.

Cobra6
Cobra6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #32
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

The master plan this weekend was to finish the instrument panels as my source was able to provide me with templates of the factory plans. But of course when I got the instrument panels modelled to spec it turned out the top of my fuselage was a bit too flat.
So in the end I had to reshape the top of the fuselage and both windscreens leaving me very little time to do the actual instrument panels themselves

Oh well, next weekend perhaps!

Compare the last image to this old one to see the difference.

Cobra6

Last edited by Cobra6; 10-12-2017 at 03:38 PM..
Old 20-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #33
Renderman_3d

Looks great anyway.

Do you model smaller elements like screws heads or use normal maps?
Renderman_3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #34
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

It's been a while since the last update because of the holiday season and moving country but the last two days I was able to pick this one up again.

With the influx of new reference photos I was able to finish up both instrument panels. The only thing missing is a Watch Holder on the front panel but I've got no reference photos for that. I've also finished up pretty much all other instruments in the cockpit and did a corrective pass on the elevator which was too fat.

Next up some final tweaks to the cockpit and then it's on to the landing gears and some minor tweaks to the exhaust shrouds. After that I think this model is done

Cobra6
Old 11-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #35
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

Finished both cockpits Today so I think that part of the plane is now signed off unless I get a nice reference photo for the watch holder

Cobra6
Old 18-01-2018, 02:19 PM   #36
Neil _M

Very nice Work !
Neil _M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 04:11 PM   #37
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

Thank you very much Neil!

Another thing that I will model is the fully enclosed canopy which was the standard configuration of the RCAF at the time which is a bit of a conversion kit so to say.

Finished the stowage bin cover directly behind the rear cockpit and started working on the front landing gear. Slightly slower week as I did not have as much time available.

Cobra6
Old 26-01-2018, 07:17 AM   #38
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

Main landing gear pretty much complete, the wheel hub itself and the tire are hard to find proper ref on but the tire itself looks plain and smooth in the old photos I have which is kind of odd.

Also I did start on the tail wheel but that is not in a state to show yet.

Cobra6
Old 17-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #39
hawk12ht

Hello there sir! amazing progress. Wish I can make time for my Aliens project super crunch at work . Anyways all the best for final result!!
hawk12ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #40
rocneasta-3DT

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via MSN to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 33
interesting project, where are you going to use the model - still or animation
rocneasta-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:40 PM   #41
Cobra6
Generalist @ DNEG

Thanks guys

Eventually my client will use this model for animation purposes and I will personally use it for stills.

I'm still working on finishing the model itself, the last couple of weeks have been quite busy with other things and I'm really struggling with the winter canopy (enclosed hood) because I've got very little accurate photographic evidence, no measurements of anything and there are a lot of custom "hack" jobs around as well.

All in all, more difficult than the exhaust shroud it turns out

Cobra6

Tags
finch, fleetline