>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 05-05-2009, 03:47 AM   #46
aUGIS

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Thanks you all, Agent-X - that was exactly the thing I was thinking before going to sleep yesterday I already increased head UW's, will increase wheapon uw's too. Tortoise texture takes so much space I better get that animal done
Old 05-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #47
aUGIS

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Not too mutch progress, for today, but I increased some UV's and rebuilt textures, also added textures and normals for weapons.
I have issues with tsuba (part between sword handle and sword). I want to make it round from box using alpha, but edges of box can still be seen.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #48
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
When using an alpha, make sure the part you want to be seen is white, and the other parts are black. Let us look at your alpha map, and we should be able to help ya out with it.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #49
aUGIS

Awards Showcase
Thanks SR_4274, I firgured it out, my texture was a bit off
Ok, here is some progress, I did skinning today, and started to work on turtle, since texturing made me sick. Turtle in picture is just base mesh, but tried to model final picture. C&C welcome
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #50
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
ok, here is what I would do. Toss the turtle. It isn't helping your character at all. Infact, it might be hurting him. Then, take the tris you save and go into your character and add geo to round him out.

After that, you can scale down your stand. It's huge. Too huge. You want your character to be the focus in your renders, not the stand.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #51
Ichiban

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: top News Bar plug The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
I agree with Big Toe. make the samurai bigger. maybe the turtle could be way smaller (however the turtle doesn't look very aggressive for this war, it's kind of slow) if you use the turtle tris for aditional objects i recommend you to make a samurai banner ( you can put it in the back). The other this is bugging me is the pose, he looks quite stiff. check out these links. good luck

http://www.expendable.org/kyde/samurai2.jpg
http://www.fallenangel.net/LVS/dwmx-...ges/iaido.jpeg
http://tanuki.org.uk/jap9707/samurai2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qeUY5TnSWM
Old 07-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #52
aUGIS

Awards Showcase
thanks guys, I will make textures biger for samurai and remove turtle, I wanted to keep it since it was original idea, but , well... I must agree it doesnt fit very well
Old 08-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #53
spartan118
Lookn 4 professional work

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Good move.

You can help support the project here

CURRENT RIG:
Intel Core i7, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD, ATI RADEON 2GB GDDR5.
spartan118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #54
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
your renders could use some work, I think it's may just be a resolution issue. Try increasing the size, something like 2400x3000, then when you save your renders make sure all the setting are set to max(highest). Also, if you want that white background color, save your renders out as pgn.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:05 AM   #55
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 6
I'm not sure about rendering out that big ToE, but definately render them out bigger. The sheets they can go on is 1200X1000, so try for something around that size. You loose a lot of quality when you enlarge an image to fit that space, but you also loose quality if you have to shrink down too much also.

PNG's are great for saving the alpha channel, so you can easily remove the background, but TIFF's work great too. With a TIFF, you can save it in at least 300 resolution, which as long as you are making your final images that same resolution, should work perfectly.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:11 AM   #56
aUGIS

Awards Showcase
I'm sorry, I saved jpg with lower quality settings, because was in hurry and didn't notice it. one on the right is real time printscreen. here is update with bigger picture: These are both printscreens.
Oh and I was sure, I can only upload jpg in this forum.
Attached Images

Last edited by aUGIS; 11-05-2009 at 05:14 AM..
aUGIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:17 AM   #57
aUGIS

Awards Showcase
By the way, how do you render normals with mentalray. Use standart material or any custom shaders?
Old 12-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #58
aUGIS

Awards Showcase
Thanks for the answers

Ok here is my presentation shot, just noticed, that alpha on the handle is wrong again, will fix that.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #59
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
I like the pose. And good work on the pedestal, too. keep on going!
Old 13-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #60
aUGIS

Awards Showcase
Some layout of a beautyshot, still needs a lot of work
Attached Images