>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 2D, traditional art and photography gallery

Old 08-11-2005, 05:13 AM   #256
Ilkejav mk5
Marquis of Montréal.

Send a message via MSN to Ilkejav mk5
here's a sketch I did for a game concept, I have to make a low poly character for a game called "bloodmasters", sorta Quake-like. I took a picture with my digital camera because I don't have a scanner, so I had to edit it in PS to get the contrast right.

It's a really quick sketch so the proportions are most likely off.
Ilkejav mk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:02 AM   #257
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 4
You know where the problem is and how to correct it. All you need is the will (if you consider correction necesary). It has indeed a Quake feel.
"There will be a time when heroes will be diminished and the great glory of Man shall be just a dim star reflected in fading waters of time, when no life nor sacrifice shall be required for the honor of such title, but just the empty banner of a victory."

Locarn D'Arcy, Master Paladin, last Avatar
"Of Heroes and their passing"

www.avatarart.com
http://www.avatarart.com/shards/
Avatar-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:11 AM   #258
R.Kamal

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flou
Self Portrait; and no I don't look mad like this all day
Wow flou! dont know how I missed this one.....good work...hope to see more
Old 08-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #259
*Rue
Pen(cil) artist

Send a message via MSN to *Rue
Thanks kamal,

I'm very tired right now.. So I'll go sleep for a hour.. I also play in a semi-pro online game, so I need to divide my time...

I'll be sure to post an other one soon

@avatar, can you reply at my previous post?
*Rue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:45 PM   #260
Ilkejav mk5
Marquis of Montréal.

Send a message via MSN to Ilkejav mk5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar-3DT
You know where the problem is and how to correct it. All you need is the will (if you consider correction necesary). It has indeed a Quake feel.
I don't consider correction necessary, I know exactly where my mistakes are. This model was just a concept for a 3d model, and I am not using the drawing as direct reference.
Ilkejav mk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:27 AM   #261
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
flou, I work on A4 copier paper, nothing fancy, using a simple 0,5 tip mechanical pencil. For shading I use the finger smudge only when I work with really big shaded surfaces (maybe portraits or torso) while for full characters I just use layers for shading: small pressure - I go then I return with equal presure, then I go again until the surface its pretty equal everywhere. To apply shadows I don't use the wrinckle on the face, I just tag low and high areas. Socket of the eye - low area - deeper shadows. Nose - high area - less shadow or no shadow at all. There are moments when areas interpose and rules of light placement enters the game. Like nose - high area and higher lip - high area. but if the light is up, the nose will cast shadow over the lip. Unfortunatly I don't own a video camera. I don't own even a web cam. If I ever get one (or I find one to borrow) I'll try to make a realtime walkthrough.
"There will be a time when heroes will be diminished and the great glory of Man shall be just a dim star reflected in fading waters of time, when no life nor sacrifice shall be required for the honor of such title, but just the empty banner of a victory."

www.avatarart.com
Old 09-11-2005, 10:14 PM   #262
*Rue
Pen(cil) artist

Maby we can al raise some money j/k

We seem to use same matirials and techniques, though I'm really trying to figger out wich way is the best to start a drawing, contours or shades..

www.pure-artist.com
Old 17-11-2005, 05:20 AM   #263
Corwyn

noone got any comments on my peice? I knew it was bad, but THAT bad? =p
Corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2005, 01:09 AM   #264
*Rue
Pen(cil) artist

Sorry Corwyn, I'm a bit new to the forum and commenting work of people who I don't know..

I think that the shadow on the legs should be more/ or less intense shadows on the upperbody.
On the upper body you show how dark it gets on part where the light doesn't get near, but same parts are on the legs too, but you used less shadow there..

www.pure-artist.com
Old 19-11-2005, 05:52 PM   #265
*Rue
Pen(cil) artist

First try with pencil.

www.pure-artist.com
Old 19-11-2005, 05:59 PM   #266
Alcron

Send a message via AIM to Alcron Send a message via Yahoo to Alcron
I thought you weren't always angry, flou? haha. Just kidding. I read the explaination about how deeper shadows and wrinkles are easier and more expressive. I think you've done a good job with this one. I don't think it's quite as powerful as the last one. It's not for lack of skill but because the harsh lines of the pen work so well with such an expression.

Also, make sure you use more than one pencil when you're finishing a drawing. A softer lead will allow you to darken areas that need it the most, like the shadow inside the mouth.
Alcron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #267
*Rue
Pen(cil) artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcron
Also, make sure you use more than one pencil when you're finishing a drawing. A softer lead will allow you to darken areas that need it the most, like the shadow inside the mouth.
ye the shadows should have been a bit darker on this one to get more out of the anger emotion. I've like 20 pencils wich reach from hard to very soft.. But I only use like 5, the hard one to sketch a base, the facial lines and such, then 3 dark ones to shade. Thanks for the tip though, I apreciate it

I'm going to look up some photo albums, see if I can find a nice picture of my mom's face to draw.. I'll let you guys/girls know when it's done

www.pure-artist.com
Old 20-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #268
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Very good try for a first pencil. The mouth is a bit bigger than it should be (in report with face features) and looks to be off in perspective. Also the face seems to be a bit too long. Overall, a good sketch.

www.avatarart.com
Old 20-11-2005, 04:01 PM   #269
*Rue
Pen(cil) artist

Haha, sounds like I need a make over :P

His hairline is a bit off..

www.pure-artist.com

Last edited by flou; 20-11-2005 at 04:08 PM..
Old 21-11-2005, 12:31 AM   #270
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Lol, sure is Looks like he has his finger stuck in a plug

www.avatarart.com