>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Matte Painting Challenges

Old 31-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
Challenge #7 - Summer Fest FINAL ENTRIES

Please post only your final images here. For discussion and details please go here: http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=60149

When posting your final image please upload it on an external server (imageshack.us preferably) and use the image tag.

Please include the following in your post:

• Your name
  • Short description of the image
  • Technical details (how long it took, what software did you use etc.)
  • (OPTIONAL) A link to your WIP thread if you created any

Don't forget that the minimum accepted width/height is of 1024!

Looking forward to see your artworks
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
kay2

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 6
Kay2
Image Description: I used few photos, i paint it rather! Original size 5900x2166
Software: Photoshop
Time: approximately 8-10 hours
Wip: http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=61477

thanx!
kay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Holy Mountain

Duncan Dinsdale
Island City Outpost
Software : Photoshop CS3 and Vue xStream
Time : several evenings over 3 weeks

Last edited by Holy Mountain; 07-09-2008 at 04:06 PM..
Holy Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:21 AM   #4
mrpeculiar

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the sculpting challenge 009 Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: Won on Speed Animation challanges ''Guitar Hero / Rock Band' Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won  Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  
Total Awards: 7
Ok time for my final ..........after a bit of playing around i never got to complete my second entry .......so ill just be going with this one.
Final res is at 3000 px .....this one is 1700

Its all done in photoshop with 3d elements (the structures) all rendered out with cinema 4d.
The image took around 15-20 hours i think all up ............

Lets go people......not much time to get your finals up

Mr peculiar - Tropical sci-fi city

Last edited by mrpeculiar; 09-09-2008 at 02:31 AM..
mrpeculiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Secretpixelmedi

Awards Showcase
Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge #7 - Summer Fest 
Total Awards: 1
Niklas Reins
Finally done..
Lost underwater city
Name: Underwater structure dunno xD
Worktime: uhh, 30h? i cant count so many changes..
Evrything with photoshop cs2
wip thread:
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=60774
long time no updates ^^
ehrrm

directlink:
http://www.imagecrate.de/upload/1107...Y10.09.082.jpg

hope u can see it xD

other host:
http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/vhvo...Y10.09.082.jpg

Last edited by Secretpixelmedi; 20-09-2008 at 11:12 AM..
Secretpixelmedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
Stephenopoly
*****noob

[QUOTE=Stephenopoly;662282]Stephen Chang
Description: A city built into a surrounding crater like lagoon with vertical embankments. The architecture is set high from the ground to pervent any damage to the life below.

Technical details: 20+ hrs of work... lost track of time! Used Photoshop CS3

WIP thread: http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=60903

Can someone point me in a direction of hosting this image for free at 1024 pixels? thanks!

another link just incase...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...achfuture5.jpg

Last edited by Stephenopoly; 10-09-2008 at 05:36 PM..
Stephenopoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
Nocturn8
Ssssshhh!

Send a message via Yahoo to Nocturn8
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge Matte Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Matte Painting Second Place - Underwater Ruins Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: inner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge ''SMC 68 A place to hide:'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge 'Weight for it.'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the New SMC's - 028 - Music to your ea Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb green?'' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 12
Nathaniel Gonzales dela Peņa
Lumina : City of dreams
Photoshop : Approximately 15 Hours (on and off)
Work in Progress Link

Nathaniel Gonzales dela Peņa
Blue : Time has Forgotten
Photoshop : Approximately 10 Hours (on and off)
Work in Progress Link

Reuploaded the pictures as when I checked this morning the images just wont show up so ...
Here's a link in case images won't show up again

Lumina

Blue

I hope i did the proper way of entering my works... Good luck to us all!

Last edited by Nocturn8; 15-09-2008 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: Images suddenly just won't show up!
Nocturn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
korpehn

Patrik Rosander
Remains of a metropolis after the melting of the north and south pole.
About 20 hours using photoshop cs3
Final resolution about 4000x1900 It was way more work than i expected

korpehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #9
farzan

name_farzan
description : i used lots of photographs as well as i paint a lot.....first i paint whole painting then i manipulate it with lots of photograph
software : photoshop
time : sevrel nights during a month or u can say arround 18-20 hours
wip : http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=61217
externel links :http://www.hotlinkfiles.com/view/full/1858643_w4czt
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-b80e272b.html
Attached Images

Last edited by farzan; 10-09-2008 at 09:53 PM..
farzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #10
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
keep them coming
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:48 AM   #11
balcsika

tropical city: The lost spaceman

Image Description:I used few photos of cgtextures, but i paint and texturig it rather.
Worktime: 25-30 hours
Software: Photoshop CS2, Wacom table
Size: 4195X1655 px
WIP:http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread...095#post663095
Attached Images

Last edited by balcsika; 14-09-2008 at 12:04 AM..
balcsika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #12
vlweb3d

All of these works are fantastic. I really don't have the patience to sit down and paint at this high level of quality. I prefer to do stuff like this in 3D. Fantastic work everyone.
Old 16-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #13
Secretpixelmedi

Awards Showcase
Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge #7 - Summer Fest 
Total Awards: 1
end or what? o.O
Secretpixelmedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #14
balcsika

Oh, yes, this is the end. Thanx!
balcsika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #15
Milan

Send a message via Yahoo to Milan
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won on speed painting challanges no. 73 ''life on a farm'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed painting challenge! 
Total Awards: 4
under water lost city

this is my first matt painting for challange. I think this is not as good to sub mit but I have spend much time studying it so that I m submitting it. so much wonderful work I wonder how people work very neat and clean .
Good luck every one.
software-photoshop time may be 25 hours in 2 months

Last edited by Milan; 20-09-2008 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: image size
Milan is offline   Reply With Quote