>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V

Old 31-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #61
koyima

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached 
Total Awards: 1
What will you construct the hair from, solid geometry?
koyima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #62
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
I think I kinda like the "mane" idea with FH2 [I also, think your chances of making it work in 3D are far high than the other hair concepts]...and the I'm with washka on the H3 horns.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #63
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
Quote:
..and the I'm with washka on the H3 horns.
Warlock is my brother twin.

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #64
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Total Awards: 3
Hi!

Solid geometry is the only way I can do right now, but I could try with planes. I'm not sure the texture size limit will allow me to do that tho.

I agree with Warlock that chances with FH2 are bigger. With solid geometry I shall try normals, I'll test it individually this weekend. A mohawk hair will allow me to play with some tattoos aswell, but my fave is FH1... I'll test FH2 first, Any advice?

About the horns, I've seen some concepts with simple plain H1 and they look diff. Both simple and stylish. Wouldn't work that great with FH2 i fear... A lot of ppl goes with H3 alike horns too hehe

So, my fave comb would be the same as washka, but Warlock is right. I'll go one step At a time.

What do you say koyima, you did keep ur opinion for yerself :P

Thanks!

Blog

Last edited by wil_himura; 01-04-2011 at 12:03 AM..
wil_himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #65
koyima

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil_himura View Post
What do you say koyima, you did keep ur opinion for yerself :P
Needed more info:
ok here it is, if is going to be solid geo, I would not do fire, but if you are fixed on doing fire I would make bolder shapes with larger volumes and less small points. More symbolic and comic style than trying to be realistic when there is no possibility of realistic fire.

Now on the horns I would explore more ideas. I have seen a lot of horns on 3d monsters and thse are pretty classic. It would be ok if she wasn't part ent.
She is though and I would make the horns an opportunity for her to stand out.

Now in combination these two opinions would create a head that would need some serious design before creation in 3d. Take a look at washkas Immortal for instance. I would suggest either remove one of two elements or scrap the head and try to design it again in a way that the two elements really fit together.

This is mostly so the solid geometry fire can work. The horns are easier to accomodate in general.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #66
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Agree, after some google, a decent planes hair would take around 500-800 tris. I don't have experience on poly-limited models so this is a handicap.

The FH2 idea came to my mind when thinking on how hard would it be to go for FH hehehehe

Big volumes with some detailing and map work and I shall get a decent fire hair. Not a perfect one. I'll keep it with fire if it helps improving overall look at the end. If it doesn't (with some sleep lack if needed) I'd go for Plan B. At the end, it was more about hair styles and some tech suggestions!

Thanks a lot, you all really help me point to the right direction!

Btw, I know I'm going with a too loose conceptual design. I know that success possibilities decrease this way too, because of the risk of having to rework a lot of things (plus other inconveniences) but I don't have time neither experience to develope a better workflow for this challenge. What I've got is a good photoshop skill provided by photography background :P I hope it helps me get a decent fire

Blog

Last edited by wil_himura; 01-04-2011 at 12:55 AM..
Old 01-04-2011, 01:08 AM   #67
koyima

Awards Showcase
Time is not very limited, we still have 40 days right?
Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 AM   #68
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
I'm not sure I'd go with the full on ram horns, but I'd say go with something that's got a good twist to them. The straight horns don't seem to sit right.

Like the fire mane though, definitely run with that.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #69
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Koyima - I'm learning on the go believe me, I'll submit on last minute. Moreover, this is the easiest part since Im not new at sculpting, but the rest is a black box for me now.

Puckducker - I made a pic of something that inspired me while walking the dog, I'll upload it At the office. It's more ent'ish. I shall explore that a bit more.

Blog

Last edited by wil_himura; 01-04-2011 at 08:38 AM..
Old 01-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #70
liquidbear

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: i won second in the heat is on speed moddeling 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil_himura View Post
I'll submit on last minute.
If you want votes on your work dont leave it till last minute as there is a soft deadline but at the bonus off extra time you loose time for people to vote on your work.

DOM WAR THREAD PLEASE SUPPORT
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=82649

THE MORE SUPPORT I GET THE MORE THE BANANA DANCES
liquidbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #71
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Great point

Blog
Old 02-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #72
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
I took some time to sketch a better concept trying to include everything I've got in mind, at least for major shapes.

I finally had some time to start sculpting again:

The texture is just Rake tool to help visualize the rithms.

I hope you like it!

Blog

Last edited by wil_himura; 02-04-2011 at 01:55 PM..
Old 02-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #73
DeadlyFreeze
Not a zombie.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For throwing one hell of a good suggestion out there. You suggested the sculpting challenge, and we ran with it. The community loves it. Nice one! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: your testicles Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge ''Death Match'' Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Low POly Comp #22 Washed Up super Hero 
Total Awards: 10
The bark will definitely give you some interesting surface properties to work with, color and texture wise.

Is the bark just going to be on the surface of the skin or are you going to try and blend them into each other?

The mysterious guy behind you...
DeadlyFreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:56 PM   #74
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Hi DeadlyFreeze,

Plan A is to try blending them, to do so, I thought of a Bonsai technique called Jin:

It consist on removing some bark, but not all of it. You can see it also in the horns on my illustration.

That way it would be easier to blend it with the skin. I was thinking on painting some chlorophyl veins at some points near the ent parts.

The concept I manage is that the God is perfect and sooo beautiful, almost 100% human alike, but when it's furious all the natura and earth elements start flowing through all the God's body causing the look it has on my illustration.

In harmony and peace with nature, furious, powerfull when annoyed. And the ppl in the future are annoying the earth God quite a lot!

Blog
Old 02-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #75
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
I'f got some progress. Breasts need some fixing I fear they are too close one of the other.

Mouth is also giving me some headaches... I'm trying to apply a feline look to her... it's not going as I expected, we will see.

Blog