>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Animation

Old 14-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #16
bobi
Scorpion

En taro Freespace!

This is looking awesome.
You're still stick to Mental Ray? This mutalisk is great, and SSS is looking awesome. Man... 4 minutes is really long for this (great) type of quality.
Can't wait to see it done!

When you will be making a video tutorial on special effects, passes and post production in 3DS Max and AE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
Here's a warp-in clip where a fleet of Confederate Battlecruisers ( that need to be added to the shot ) arrive at Korhal,
Looks great man!
I think you might need more blurriness in there, and better speed.
Have you tried Afterburn atmospheric? It's basically same as max volume fog, but it allows you to put any procedural map for the density which gives unlimited variations (and it's great for making a warp effects). Allan Mckay had few great tutorial for that.
Old 14-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #17
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
En taro Bobi!

Thanks man, yeah I'm sticking to Mental Ray for the awesome shaders and lighting it has. I still use Scanline for lots of passes like volumetrics, energy, space, planets, etc.

A tutorial? I don't know what to tutorial about. Let me know if there's something in particular you'd like to know.

Regardind the warp scene, I have actually tried Afterburn volume fog for this scene but I wasn't very pleased with the results for some reason, so I switched to good old standard volume fog. There are around seven passes for the effects in the warp and that gave me huge freedom to mess around with them in post. Here's the finished warp scene, it's got some added intensity for speed due to a subtle camera shake at the beginning.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 12:42 PM   #18
Tarik2d

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: front page plug The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating a making of tutorial! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 1st place in coming of the ice lowpoly. 
Total Awards: 8
Looking cool!! That animation is so good!

Last edited by Tarik2d; 14-05-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Tarik2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #19
mel_danes
Occupant

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the finest One Man show in the World, well at least our little corner of it anyway. I give you "Freespace"!

Keep em' coming.
mel_danes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #20
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Tarik2d: Thank you!

mel_danes: That's too kind, man.

Here's a Scourge for ya. You might have seen it in the teaser, and it will have a more centric scene later on. ( otherwise I wouldn't have wasted time on the details )
Attached Images

Old 15-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #21
bobi
Scorpion

Quote:
Here's the finished warp scene[/URL][/B], it's got some added intensity for speed due to a subtle camera shake at the beginning.
Looks really awesome!
My only suggestion is that you make a camera closer so ships looks bigger Here I've quickly animated to describe what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PC1C2iMSBE

Warp however looks great

Quote:
A tutorial? I don't know what to tutorial about. Let me know if there's something in particular you'd like to know.
Well... for example, a video tutorial on how you create scene from the beginning (except modeling and texturing), how do you export it to passes, and how you join and color correct passes in After Effects (and also effects) until you got a finished shot.
I guess you don't have the time for that, but it would be great if you find it sometime.

Quote:
Here's a Scourge for ya.
This is sick.
Great job Freespace!
Old 15-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #22
Tank[NL]
New goal: Platinum spam

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 3
cool work on the little kamikaze-critter

one thing i would change with the warp in, is the speed at which the battlecruiser roll. these things are massive, i mean HUGE. as a result, they wont turn that quickly, even in space. they would break up into a lot of little pieces.

that would really mess up your game balance your units cant turns without dying ^^

cool update man, loving the scourge
Old 16-05-2010, 02:23 AM   #23
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
bobi: Wow, thanks for taking the time to do that. I do however like how it currently looks like and I want to move on with the cinematic ( got 50% left to do! ). I also didn't put enough details on those cruisers for a closer peek.

If you're curious about it, I will talk about my workflow in the coming days. Sure.

Tank[NL]: You bring a good point, my friend. However, I bring two points to counter this particular case, in the name of a fun debate.
1. It looks cool that they move like that, otherwise they would actually be moving linearly, perfectly still from a following camera's point of view. And that's not fun.
2. Scientifically speaking ( NERD MODE activated ), in order to travel through warpspace, an object needs to defend itself from the onslaught of incredible force and from the theory of relativity. So BattleCruisers form an innertial nullifier around themselves, essentially a protective bubble that separate them in their own field where the ridiculous rigor of faster-than-light travel and other problems such as mass do not apply. ( / NERD MODE )

I finished the Zergling!
Attached Images

Old 17-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #24
SgtHK
Vertex Violator

Send a message via MSN to SgtHK Send a message via Yahoo to SgtHK
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 2
Wow so many updates since I last visited this thread. I tried out the Scatter compound object and it was perfectly made for rocks and gravel : I also saw the animation in your website. Really darn excellent. Are you using SSS shaders on your Zerg models?
SgtHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #25
Tank[NL]

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
nice update freespace. zergling looks really good. i was about to spam for an update

as for the battlecruisers, yes but no.

yes, it looks better. yes, the bubble thing could work(maybe, i think..i dunno). but....

you cant see the bubble and even if you could people wont know what the hell it is. also, fast movement makes the cruisers look smaller, more like fighters. it detracts from their hugeness.

you've got the beta, right? you've seen that bad@ss cruiser in the background, yes?

put the camera right underneath one of the cruisers, have some turrets or something move around and other cruisers in the foreground. the size of the ships will be more then apparent and it'll looks awesome.
Old 17-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #26
SgtHK
Vertex Violator

Send a message via MSN to SgtHK Send a message via Yahoo to SgtHK
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 2
Quote:
Well... for example, a video tutorial on how you create scene from the beginning (except modeling and texturing), how do you export it to passes, and how you join and color correct passes in After Effects (and also effects) until you got a finished shot.
Yes please. I'd like to learn that very much. I already know how to render the characters, props, trees, backgrounds separately. The problem is that I don't know how to work with rendering elements (or render passes) and how to composite them correctly in AE.
SgtHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #27
Tank[NL]

Awards Showcase
*points up*
same, yes plz
Old 18-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #28
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
SgtHK: Glad to hear you've found Scatter useful. Yes, I'm using Mental Ray's fast SSS skin shader for the zerg. It's an awesome shader, once you get a hold of it.

Tank[NL]: Well I didn't model sufficient details for the cruisers for such a close-up as the Hyperion gets in the beta menu. I want to move on with the cinematic, otherwise I'm not gonna make it before the release of SC2.

SgtHK & Tank[NL]:

The way I use passes is the following:

I always manage my scenes with max's Layers function. I have layers for terrain, characters, rigs, props, cameras & lights, etc. This way you can quickly access exactly what you want from your scene in a couple of clicks, and you can also set global parameters (like visibility) extremely fast for sets of objects.

I don't really use the Render Elements feature (diffuse, specular, etc ) except for the Z-Depth element and sometimes a reflection/specular pass (so I can increase reflections on objects in post). With the Z-Depth I can add Depth of Field on post production.

What I do for rendering out passes, is take a character layer and render just that (output to Tga with Alpha, of course), while everything else will be Not Visible to Camera. This means everything leaves a shadow or is reflected on the character.

Then the same applies for other passes, like terrain. Terrain will need the character to leave shadows on it, so the character layer will be Not Visible to Camera this time, thus projecting shadows on the terrain when rendering the terrain pass.

That's about it.

Old 18-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #29
artquest

Hi all, I'm new to the 3dtotal forums(first post here!). Freespace asked me to drop by and post post pictures of my contribution to "Final Metamorphosis." So far I've modeled a Protoss carrier based on this amazing concept by Peter Lee.

Here are a few renders and a turn around.

Front
side
artquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #30
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Carriers look very neat man! .

Welcome to thee!

Regarding the Scourge I think the specularity looks way cool . Shinyy... But it seems you accomplished it better on the zergling, the scourge looked a bit plastic perhaps...

Regarding the Battlecruisers I'd like to take a look at how blizzard did it... You guys remember the cinematic where two guys battled a bunch of zerg inside a long dark trench?? Think of how massive and slow the cruisers were there... They are frigging massive! Would really want to see something similar to that =).

Cheerios!

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote