>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Animation

Old 25-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #46
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespace-3DT View Post
hulahuga: I understand what you mean, but in the case of half a dozen Zerglings it would only complicate things. For huge armies I go the route of point-cache, with further characters being without Turbosmooth and displacecemnt altogether.

Here's the final frame from the preview I showed two posts earlier, and a shot of a zergling getting torn apart by uranium rounds.
Wicked!

Hmm, half a dozen might have worked with this but how do you do a point-cache (haven't heard of it before..)

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #47
mel_danes
Occupant

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahuga View Post
but how do you do a point-cache (haven't heard of it before..)
Point Cache

Looking good Freespace, are you hitting your milestones for completion?
mel_danes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #48
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel_danes View Post
Thanks man . Sounds pretty cool!

Then you can do the varieties beforehand on a couple of models and then save those caches as modifiers that you then offset a bit. Thus you have an enormous variety , or you just do it easier like he did :P.

WIP
Old 26-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #49
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
bobi: Thanks! Can't wait to show you.

Raul: Thank you, this interest from everyone really pushes me further to finish this thing.

mel_danes: At the current stage I'm at, I think the whole thing will be complete by the end of July... just barely in time for me to lock myself in my home and play the StarCraft II campaign for a couple of weeks.

hulahuga: So you see Point Cache is brilliant for such situations. I used Point Cache for the ~30 Mulalisks in the large battle briefly seen in the teaser. I will also be using it for more Mutalisks and Scourges in the Carrier battle that I'm starting to work on next week. Currently finishing up a one minute chunk with some marines being ambushed by zerg.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 05:14 AM   #50
M0H_Robert

Ahh, I hope you remake your hydralisk to match the quality of your awesome zerglings.
I hope Mr. Jack is receiving some measure of credit for the designs of the excellent air units, too. :P
Looking forward to this very much.
M0H_Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 05:53 AM   #51
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Yay . Sounds awesome! If you have any wip screens of the scene it would be great.

Ps: Will any Hellions or Firebats be incorporated? (If you don't want new models you can always attach something to the end of a rifle to shoot the fire from there...

WIP
Old 27-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #52
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
M0H_Robert: Actually I have come back to the Hydra and did a detail pass on it, render attached. And everything's going in the credits, mate.

hulahuga: I'll show WIPs, sure. It's just that I haven't started on the Carrier battle yet. I'm not planning on having Hellions or Firebats though. There's simply no time. I was planning on making modifications on each of the marines ( one would have a massive knife attached to the tip of his rifle, another would have a shield, one would have a rocket launcher )... but I couldn't have finished by the end of July like that. Bah... Deadlines.
Attached Images

Old 27-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #53
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
A knife doesn't have to be that visible though You might just model it quickly and strap on a quick material... But it's your call :P

Hydra looks great btw .

Are those scourges flying behind him??

WIP
Old 29-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #54
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
hulahuga: Thanks, and you got it, those are some scourges floating about. It gives the scene a bit of depth, there are other events going on.

Here's my take on Ehlna, the birthplace of the legendary dark archon Ulrezaj (anyone who read the Dark Templar saga will know what I'm talking about). And if you haven't read the book, I'm certain Ulrezaj will make an appearance in StarCraft II - he's too awesome not to.
Attached Images

Old 29-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #55
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
We are into some deep **** here.. COOL! Can't wait for when it is done...

Ps: isn't the cinematic to be followed by a campaign???

WIP
Old 29-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #56
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
hulahuga: I'm not planning a campaign for the cinematic. The SC2 editor is a huge pain in the ass... I don't plan on spending perfectly good CG months to learn the editor. However, this cinematic is mostly a montage of important lore events that are found both in the SC1 campaign and in the great StarCraft books such as Twilight, Queen of Blades, I Mengsk. Mostly.

I thought the lower terrain looked weak, so I updated it. This will only serve as a backdrop for what happens in the scene, but I want it to look sharp and razory. Is that a word? Razory? Google says no. Well heck. It looks razory to me.
Attached Images

Old 29-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #57
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
You usually say sharp and crisp .
Or razor sharp :P

Looking better now. I like the flying rocks...

WIP
Old 29-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #58
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Razor sharp! Thanks man.

Alright this would be pretty close to what I want it to look like:
Attached Images

Old 29-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #59
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
The increase of contrast looks great overall but the omnipotency of the pillars disappeared with the volumetric style lightning...

The water looks terrific

WIP
Old 29-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #60
bobi
Scorpion

I kinda liked the green sun in the first picture of that last renders.
I don't know why you removed, it had a more atmosphere feel with the sun.
Maybe it's just a different frame?

Other then that, great!