>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Matte Painting Challenges

Old 02-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
Challenge #2: October-November 2007 - Lost Valley

Hi there and welcome to our second Matte Painting Challenge!

The first one went out quite well, and we decided to step further and bring a classic yet interesting theme here.
  • Topic: Lost Valley

This time there are no elements and limits so let your imagination fly!

Below you can find some examples and inspirations:

Note: Please submit only final images here! For work in progress and feedback please use our sub-forums here: http://forums.3dtotal.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92 (In fact I encourage you to use it as often as you can)

Note: The minimum accepted width/height is of 1024px and the recommended one is 1600px.

Judging

The challenge will end on October 31th, after which we will temporary lock the thread while we pick the winners.
EDIT: We extended the challenge with one more month so the new deadline is November 15th

We will judge the following aspects of your images:

- Originality
- Topic Fidelity
- Technical Execution
- Composition
- Impression

This month's board is formed by:

Tiberius Viris – Suirebit-3DT
Waheed Nasir - waheed nasir-3DT
Tom Greenway – tom-3DT
Richard Tilbury – rich-3DT
Chris Perrins – Chrisp-3DT

Good luck and have fun!
If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me!

Last edited by Suirebit-3DT; 31-10-2007 at 12:26 PM..
Suirebit-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:47 AM   #2
eyecon
Matte what?

Send a message via Yahoo to eyecon
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Great Topic Suirebit!

This is going to be fun! Now to re-arrange my schedule again to fit this challenge!

The things you do just to give time to the things you like....

BTW, since its lost vally and no elements have been specified, can we post fantasy-like images?

Thanks again, and to all the guys who woud want to join, good luck and have fun!

My CGportfolio and Deviant
CGsociety Deviant

2008 Mattepainting Reel : HIGH RES Low Res
eyecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
BySilent

Some very inspirational examples you have given.
BySilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
eyecon you can do anything you want as long as it's photorealistic and a lost valley
Old 05-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
sovino

Great!

I'm in!
sovino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:01 PM   #6
jbsniff

nice, count me in!

You can view my portfolio here: Joshua Bolduc's Portfolio
jbsniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:39 AM   #7
Smily

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! 
Total Awards: 1
Hello I am new to this but I would like to try, greetings.
Smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #8
otas32

Send a message via ICQ to otas32 Send a message via MSN to otas32 Send a message via Yahoo to otas32
Hmmm... might as well start trying myself with matte painting I'll give it a go
Old 30-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
anklebiter

Lost Valley entry

Hi everyone,

Here's my entry for the competition. The way this worked out the style is more traditional painting than matte painting. I hope this is okay.

I've copied this to the new forum thread for final images:

http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread...542#post587542

Last edited by Suirebit-3DT; 30-10-2007 at 02:59 PM..
anklebiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #10
eyecon
Matte what?

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: winner of a matte painting challenge  Matte Painting - Gold: Winner of a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a matte painting challenge! Matte Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a matte painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
now i'm confused, are we supposed to post the final images here? Its supposed to be on the other thread right? The one with the thread header: Final Images October, right?

CGsociety Deviant

Old 30-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #11
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
yes, he posted wrongly, no worries, I'll move it there.

Guys do you want the challenges to run for 2 months? I'll probably have to delay the deadline again....
Old 30-10-2007, 03:03 PM   #12
lilguy

Hey suirebit, I agree with you, one more month to finish the lost valley...Thanks
lilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 03:11 PM   #13
Suirebit-3DT
Redefining Reality

Awards Showcase
Ok, I feel that way too, so I'm going to give you an extra month for this one....
Old 30-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #14
eyecon
Matte what?

Awards Showcase
... and when I was done with it... oh well... is it final? Is the deadline pushed to a month from now?

CGsociety Deviant

Old 30-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #15
otas32

Send a message via ICQ to otas32 Send a message via MSN to otas32 Send a message via Yahoo to otas32
Cool!!! Now I can finish it! Thanx a lot for that