>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 08-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
undin

Is freelancing as a 3D modeler possible?

Hi,
I was wondering is it possible to make a living as a freelance, work from home 3D modeler?

I only need around 10,000 euro a year to live off, maybe less.
I have been an artist my whole life and studied art for 6 years and animation for a year, and 3D modeling briefly and really loved it. I don't expect to love it if it will be my career , but I think I would find it fulfilling.

I am willing to spend the next 4 years or more learning modeling and building up a portfolio, learning good networking skills, time management skills, learning how to price myself, doing jobs that pay nearly noting to work my way up the ladder and whatever else it takes!

I'm not asking can I be an amazing modeler and work on AAA games, but simply if it is possible for me to earn around 10,000 euro a year doing this. (not that I would not aim to work on AAA games). I would be willing to make any sort of models for any industry or for 3D print etc.

I understand these threads already exist and many like them:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119200
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1004316

But I think the amount of money I need to live is much lower then a lot of people
so I think a lot of these answers might not be relevant. I am building up a large body
of research to figure out of this dream could be a reality, so I would really appreciate
advice from modelers and freelancers
Thank you
undin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Nukie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
There are indeed already a million threads like this, but ok.

Anyway. Everything is possible. So that pretty much answers your question.
Now keep in mind that to bring this to a reality has nothing to do with your 3D skills. Well. Of course it does, in a way. But much more depends on you selling yourself, finding clients and getting projects.

You might be the best 3D artist that ever exists. But without clients and projects, you won't make a dime.

Tags
freelance remote jobs