>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 20-03-2004, 01:21 AM   #106
Pinchy

Which tool is sub divide, is it chamfer, is it in edible mesh, edible poly?, i dont really understand sub division, just that it makes smooth sharp cornors, instead of round ones... i think lol
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 04:44 PM   #107
novoAlias
Found snow.

Send a message via MSN to novoAlias
lol sub divide is meshsmooth only its part of edit poly i think
,,`,,`,,

http://forums.3dtotal.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=726&dateline=11981294  96
novoAlias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 11:03 AM   #108
rage
I am Ecthelions Bane

meshsmooth modifier dude!

you can do that also directly from the editable poly also...

cheers!
Old 14-04-2004, 10:48 AM   #109
shirish

wow,subdivison modelling my favorites topic....
shirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2004, 10:53 AM   #110
shirish

subdivision modelling had change theCG industries standard of workin and more on that its too fast and easy as compare to nurbs.. wht u guys says...
shirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2004, 12:57 PM   #111
czacen

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: 100 posts Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 03 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 3
sorry to be a stick in the mud, but meshsmooth in max is not subdivision surfaces at all. true subdivision surface modeling as seen in maya and XSI does exist in max - and is called the HSDS modeling modifier. meshsmooth is just a tesselation modifier with smoothing attached. the difference being - and all maya users will know this - u can't meshsmooth a single polygon of of an editable poly model in max to a higher degree than that of the overall object itself. u can increase the low poly cage value but it messes up alot of the smoothing - the whole point of true sub-D is the neverending ability to increse the tesselation of a polygon component while maintaining the smoothing of the original parent state, plus creasing edges is an ability of subD not availabe in meshsmooth - u can only harden edges in meshsmooth by chamfering, i.e. adding polys. last i checked HSDS in max still had a lot of probs. dunno if max 6 has fixed this.

Machine Blog
czacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2004, 09:59 PM   #112
JHarford
Director@Airship

Send a message via MSN to JHarford
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My skateboard model was featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Whipslash bane featured on top row The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Female thread up on plug bar The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Rick whipslash bane was on the top row of the forums The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Posting a video in the Sculpting thread 
Total Awards: 11
HSDS still sucks hard :/.
JHarford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 09:07 PM   #113
Shuger PL

Czacen, thing about you said about hardening edges in meshsmoth, I have max 6 and in meshsmoth modifier there is "separate by smoothing groups" options witch is great at hardening edges.

Shuger_pl@wp.pl
Shuger PL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2004, 02:13 AM   #114
Emperor
Cookiefreak

True, meshsmooth and turbosmooth are just subdivisional algorithms. It's still just polygonal modelling. Sub-D's are quite astounding IMO. So ms/ts modelling in max is subdivisional modeling...not sub-d surface modeling. Capise?

Hardening edges with division by smoothing group gives you unnatural edge hardening..simply because you get thin slices. If you want to get a nice slick hard edge you have to model it in. It's not hard at all tho, just extrude som edges in a smart way and boom

I have only tried the ones in Maya but they are quite nice and comfortable to work with. I really liked the fact of applying detail to a certain part of the mesh without it looking all screwed up. You can be alot more reckless with sub-d surface modeling then youd have to be with polygonal subdivision modeling. You can really see where Discreet chooses to put their effort as far as modeling goes. The spline/surface and expecially the polygonal tools are really extensive. I'mm pretty safe to say that out of the big packages, max has the most extensive standard polygonal toolset available. Trying to model with polygons in XSI or Maya is a real pain in the ***, if compared to Max. order of the three would be Max, XSI Maya...maya really ticks me off...takes me 1 hour to do something I can pull of in perhaps 20 minutes in max. Simply because I cant select edge loops and rings and slice and dice like I want to. Sure enough there are free scripts done by ppl for this. MJtools was it? If you plan to do any polymodeling in maya..get that before you do..or else...
Old 20-12-2004, 09:49 PM   #115
3D_challenged

back to the quad/tri discussion...

Can anyone help me with this? I have imported an object from a 3D scanner, and the mesh is all in triagles. I work in quads; I want to attach the object i've imported to one i've created.

Does anyone know of an easy way to turn an object made of tris to quads? The ****** thing has 6000 polygons, so i don't want to have to individually select edges and delete them individually.

Cheers
Old 26-01-2005, 04:03 AM   #116
Jenn

Which app are you using?
Old 26-01-2005, 04:06 AM   #117
3D_challenged

I'm using max 5.
Old 26-01-2005, 05:56 AM   #118
Jenn

check www.scriptspot.com I remember seeing something that does that but it may be for max 7
Old 27-01-2005, 02:42 AM   #119
3D_challenged

Thumbs up

Thanks! I found a couple that may work.
Old 27-01-2005, 06:44 AM   #120
Zytrex
I am mad, you know.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
hey rage.... did you know your never-ending, all Tolkien, Balrog discussion thread is not there?

Discuss Lighting Here
Discuss Subdivision Surfaces Here
Discuss Materials Here
Zytrex is offline   Reply With Quote