>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 21-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #61
GARBO X
Maya Can Do It

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Wow Goliath Of Nature looks great but I prefer the man from your first concept, he is like a strong man with a good armor and too much experience.
GARBO X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #62
L3XICON
3d Artist

Send a message via MSN to L3XICON
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime style'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
wow! such nice comments I can be my own worst critic with my artwork, particularly if I have been staring at it for hours, so such possitive comments and suggestions are a real boost!

DaddyDoom love the idea of sails being used for the loincloth! I will certainly be including that in my next revisions The idea of the folks living in the houses will be fully explained when I get round to posting the backstories, but they are basically scavangers, so scavanging a sail from a ship would fit perfectly with my ideas.

Star_scream lol ya, talk about a big brother to take care of the bullies :P I have the idea that the folk living on the goliath are scavangers that salvage useful debri from the path of destruction left by the goliath, and have perfect protection by living in such an un-killable home

Mr.T Thanks

que thanks mate what I will come up with next... well planning on completing the warrior priest concept, modifying it away from the contentious warhammer look a little, and also to explore the idea of carved armour on the Goliath.. and to include somewere the artifact!

ryvick hehe, it may not be the safest ride and home... have tried to think about what happens to the folks living there if the Goliath bends down or falls over! gonna be a lot of broken crockery thats for sure.

markus_omega with the original design as it stands I was thinking of making some kind of weapon that looked natural. though struggling for something remotely believable for such a huge creature to carry.. with the statue - style carvings I am going to explore I may look at having a huge sword or some such actually part of the creature itself. much as a sword on a statue would be part of the actual stonework..

Reb0rn Glad someone still like the priest! lol I have a soft spot in my heart for him for certain, And knowing exactly how I would go about modelling him too kinda makes him a tempting choice for my final entry... The Goliath is growing on me more and more simply because of the challenge, but will be a hard choice to make, especially if I get sidetracked with further ideas!! I can fully appreciate how you had problems with the moss and weeds, I have done a fair bit in terms of natural environment work, and foliage of any kind seems to be a real artform in itself, would love to see any images of your guy if you have any kicking about

Dannat thank you very much glad you like the paintings, with such incredible work being displayed in the competition forums (the best being here on 3dtotal) its just a pleasure seeing everyones different styles.

omnicypher hey, glad you like the priest, he will certainly be getting some attention in the coming days and you have some great suggestions there From what I have seen on your dw3 thread and your low poly entries you are overflowing with great ideas, so I shall certainly be having a go at your suggestions!

vladoportos Thanks a lot mate I am actually incredibly pleased that people are noticing the warhammer style of the first concept, as it was warhammer artwork back in the 80's that really drew me into wanting to do artwork, it is really nice to be associated with their great work, even if its not even half as good as their artist's stuff!

Rych yeah the artifact is proving to be a bit of a bummer on the Goliath, my attempts so far have looked like something superglued on lol, really am open to suggestions in regards to the artifact

DemolishMan hehe aye, I have actually toyed with the idea that the folks living on the Goliath have augmented the defenses in this time of war.. maybe a ballista or trebuchet built onto a shoulder... sandbags to hide behind... we'll see.

Hopefully I will have a few further ideas posted by tonight, and just realised how many smiley faces I have put into this post! and thanks again for all the kind comments,
L3XICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #63
Rych
Master swordsman

Send a message via AIM to Rych
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
It might be hard to decipher on the overall but maybe you could do a Cemetary and the hero that was buried within, maybe his artifact animated the whole thing to finish the task the hero could not? What about that? That might be to deep though.

Baron
Old 21-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #64
Tekei

Send a message via MSN to Tekei
I like all your concepts so far. You really do know your 2D

Can't wait to see you get started on the 3d! Keep up the good work.
Tekei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 11:01 PM   #65
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Yeah, all your concepts are really great. I wondering, if you're planning on doing the nature Goliath type thing, how you plan to do the vegetation? I think alpha's work quite well for leaves when it's on the scale of just a single true...but I'm not sure how it would work simulating a dense forest.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #66
Reb0rn
caffeine addict

here you go, this is without the moss though, since i totally don't want to work with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrux_PHVtzE

if you look at my profile you might find the little short we put him in, too bad it aint so good...
Reb0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #67
neolith
h4xx0r

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
You're really,really good at this stuff.I was wondering the same thing as Puckducker,i think the concept is really awesome,but i dont know how you can get it to look as good in 3d.Anyway,great thread you have here,it is one of favorites Keep us updated.

Quote:
something wrongI think
neolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #68
L3XICON
3d Artist

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime style'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reb0rn View Post
here you go, this is without the moss though, since i totally don't want to work with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrux_PHVtzE

(
now thats just freakin awesome!

I am with you guys all the way in terms of turning the Goliath into 3d. choosing the priest would certainly be the easy option, though despite that, or perhaps because of it ;p I am tempted to follow through further on the Goliath

so, in that vein of thought, here is a very quick paint-over of my concept testing out some ideas of carved out ancient sculptures of armour on the beast would be great to hear what you think and any suggestions
Attached Images

Old 22-02-2008, 03:09 AM   #69
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
do the goliath and if there's any justice in the world you will place high.

I like the goliath - i like the necromancer too but I like the goliath more.

have i mentioned how much i like the goliath?
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #70
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Yeah. I'm gonna have to hop on the Goliath bandwagon here, and suggest you carry on with the armor concepting from a couple posts above, because its not overly fancy, but adds a lot to the character I think.
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #71
Agent-X

Send a message via AIM to Agent-X Send a message via MSN to Agent-X Send a message via Yahoo to Agent-X
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Yeah, very nice concept bro. You are very good with foliage, and I know you will do very well with your entry. Good luck my friend.
Old 22-02-2008, 09:07 AM   #72
Mr.T
lost souvlaki..

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XICON View Post
I am with you guys all the way in terms of turning the Goliath into 3d. choosing the priest would certainly be the easy option, though despite that, or perhaps because of it ;p I am tempted to follow through further on the Goliath
I believe this is the right choice, it might be a challenge itself because it's not
an easy task, but I'm sure you've got the power

As said above, I can already feel the floor shaking! This is one huuuuge character.
Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #73
Reb0rn
caffeine addict

the sculpture thing is a great idea! it makes him look so much more special, and old.
keep it up with more of those things, it's great!
Reb0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 09:19 AM   #74
Lord Rancid

Just gotta say how much I like this Goliath chap, especially with the "armour" on... and I don't reckon you should worry about the vegetation too much right now, even if it ends up being stylised like World of Warcraft this guy is gonna look badass....
Lord Rancid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #75
L3XICON
3d Artist

Awards Showcase
hey guys, quick update before I head off to work,

I think I shall be going ahead with the Goliath, for me it will be a far more interesting path to completion, and I hope my modelling skills are anywhere near good enough to do it =/

I have continued working on armour, and will bulk him out in other areas too, namely the legs which I wasnt too happy with in the original anyway I am also looking at weapons, currently thinking about either a huge but broken sword, or a spear.

In terms of the artifact, I have played with the logo on his chest, and also thinking about the weapon as the artifact, yet still make it look to be part of the whole, rather a seperate thing...

Thank you once again for the comments and suggestions guys

oh and if a mod stumbles into this thread and would be kind enough to change my thread title too DWIII - 3D - L3XICON - GOLIATH OF NATURE it would be much appreciatted
Attached Images