>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Help, Advice and Chat > CG Chat

Old 22-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
elidaman

Am i overpaying this freelancer ......

Hello,

I started a new project and using most of my personal money.

The artist i hired can not rig or animate or even do proper 2d. He is a great modeler + texturing with my expectation....

So the assignment or work that was requested of him is.

- 18 models ( I had to provide the work of art )
- He has to provide screenshots of all characters
- He has to provide 360 imaging of all the images
- He needs to do touch-ups and probably redo one or two models after completion.
- He has to provide the source of his work
- He started Aug.24 and due date Sept.25
All that for; $3700CDN (Paid him so far $2500 and the rest on completion)

* Status of situation: He trying to finish #17...(I am sure he will be able to)
He does his work in Zbrush and is not able to with other 3d apps.... Overall i have 20+ more models to do but i think he lacking ; AM I WRONG???

Opinion from professionals or... would be much appreciated.

Thank you
elidaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
the problem here is that I don't know what canadian dollars are worth, how much canadians get paid or what he's making.
18 complete high-res, textured characters in a month is pretty effing fast ( i wouldn't claim to be able to do it) . 18 low poly boxes is not fast at all.

i pay my garden landscapers 8 per hour for unskilled labour (eg. digging a hole) and 15 per hour for skilled labour (eg. building a lovely stone terrace thing). This is irrelevant, I just wanted everyone to know I'm rich enough to hire gardeners

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
elidaman

He is Romanian and i am paying him in Canadian.. so its good pay i think. I want to be sure is it overpriced or just. The due date can be ignore and delayed as long he working on it daily.
Old 22-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
bclark22

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
As poopipe said, it really matters if the work is high or low poly. I wouldn't claim to be able to do 18 high res and textured models in a month either. Low poly would definitely take less time. As for the pay, I think it sounds reasonable, but again it also matters what kind of work it is, high or low poly. 3D isn't cheap most of the time!
bclark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
walkerism

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopipe View Post
the problem here is that I don't know what canadian dollars are worth, how much canadians get paid or what he's making.
18 complete high-res, textured characters in a month is pretty effing fast ( i wouldn't claim to be able to do it) . 18 low poly boxes is not fast at all.

i pay my garden landscapers 8 per hour for unskilled labour (eg. digging a hole) and 15 per hour for skilled labour (eg. building a lovely stone terrace thing). This is irrelevant, I just wanted everyone to know I'm rich enough to hire gardeners
ha ha, that cracked me up. Give yourself some praise, or better yet pay your gardener to give you some.
walkerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
elidaman

Understood. They are supposed to be high-poly.... I will try to post some photos later for criticism. (currently at work )

so the pay is good but the deadline is what doesnt make sense from what i see
Old 22-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
it depends - if he's only making zbrush sculpts then it can be done pretty quickly, If he's doing full on, complete, textured and riggable models then its nowhere near as quick to do the work.

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
elidaman

From what it seems to me and when i show you the photos you can validate it later.

- I THINK only sculpting + texturing
Old 22-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
elidaman

I like you site and work poopipe.... " very nice artwork and.. ". If you agreed to same terms i would hire you for the fact of your presentation is much better and...

Anyways here is the #17 he finished today... I am at the office so sorry if cant show another sample yet..(will try tonight or later)
Attached Images

Old 23-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Send a message via ICQ to Zlatovous Send a message via MSN to Zlatovous
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Hybrid'' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.058 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! SMCs 69 - Wish you were here Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge No.059 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For second place in speedmodeling ''Pimp my sleigh'' 
Total Awards: 7
The textures are horrible, stretched photographies without any work. He has some knowledge of the ZBrush (the modeling isn't bad, but he should learn how to smooth)

Honestly, there are people who would made it better with the same price. This is probably just some guy who never seriously textured and it hurts the work. Find someone else, this guy is still learning the basics
Old 23-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
elidaman

Are you recommending someone... Because most of the people i spoke with think highly of his work.

Here is another model he did for me. I am not saying you are wrong but i am unable to agree or disagree. I am just hiring and that's the work i got.. if you aren't happy can you specify whats wrong with these art...

thank you
Attached Images

Old 23-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #12
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
I'm no expert on rates but this is my take.

There is definitely room for improvement, but I'm a bit forgiving here. I actually feel a bit bad for the guy. 18 high rez models in a month, that's a tall order, especially if there is a lot of character work. The fact that he's made it to #17 in less than 2 months even says a lot for how diligent he's been working on this.

You're getting around $200 per model, which seems reasonable considering how it's looking, you may even be underpaying a bit. Another way to look at it, your paying around $100 a day if he works 5 days a week in 2 months. In Hollywood that's considered a very low rate even for a first time freelancer, so you're actually doing pretty well there.

Quantity wise I'd say you're getting a good deal. Quality wise there is room for improvement, but having a higher standard also means the time and money required will increase exponentially.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 23-10-2010 at 10:11 PM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Total Awards: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elidaman View Post
Are you recommending someone... Because most of the people i spoke with think highly of his work.

Here is another model he did for me. I am not saying you are wrong but i am unable to agree or disagree. I am just hiring and that's the work i got.. if you aren't happy can you specify whats wrong with these art...

thank you
The thing is that it's not us who are supposed to be happy with his works, it is you (assuming you are the manager/director/project leader/whatever else highly ranked person)

Yes, the quality is not great but as Chrispy said, it is to be expected with such a short time-frame.

I have never been freelancing or working with this myself so I cannot say anything about the payment but it seems pretty reasonable.
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #14
elidaman

Thank you for the words of wisdom and yes short time he has to do it all. He also warned me that for great models it takes usually a few weeks for 1. This deadline does cause sacrifices and the price is acceptable overall the feeling i got.

The models arent terrible and i guess touch ups will be done later... Overall the animator will have his hand full in rigging and converting the models for cinematic animations or events...

He did some great work and with a deadline.I am happy that he did good work. It aint 'wow' due to the deadline given but i would surely give it a thumbs up (18 in two months about).

Last edited by elidaman; 23-10-2010 at 10:32 PM..
Old 23-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Yeah it's not a bad deal for you. In fact I'd say things worked out pretty well, especially considering he was a freelancer from out of country. A lot could have gone wrong.

In his shoes it probably would've been good pay had he finished in a month, but that's his fault for taking on something like this that clearly was more than a month long job for a 1 month rate. He basically did the equivalent of working as an Assistant Manager at McDonald's for 2 months in the states, but hey, who knows what that comes to in Romania.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 23-10-2010 at 11:15 PM..
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote