>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Low Poly

Old 22-02-2010, 01:34 AM   #31
MightyReg
Artist In Progress

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: fan art 
Total Awards: 2
Agree with making a blue version, this thing don't look it could survive cold areas ,so just change the hue of the diffuse in photoshop and it should be good. Looking nice!
For the wires, there is a way to render it in Maya
http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/.../t-392955.html
This tutorial should show you how, already did it and it's not hard at all.
MightyReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 02:17 AM   #32
Stoneking

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyReg View Post
Agree with making a blue version, this thing don't look it could survive cold areas ,so just change the hue of the diffuse in photoshop and it should be good. Looking nice!
For the wires, there is a way to render it in Maya
http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/.../t-392955.html
This tutorial should show you how, already did it and it's not hard at all.
Hey great Mighty!
Many thanks for the help, with Maya and PS very much appreciated
Means a lot of help man
I agree with you guys and by tomorrow i'll try to do a nice blue version
And some poses also, i hope i can have time to do same pedestal untill the
final day,

Glad you like it

Cheers
Fernando

www.stoneking.com.br
Stoneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #33
Stoneking

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
First of All thank you guys for the imputs and tips,
Mr. Mighty, i really cannot thank you enough, the photoshop Hue technique
made my Day
And now i'm really happy to show my first true Low Poly!!
In my opinion the Blue version as you guys suggested are 1000% better
Now it is posed and Blue,
9860 tris, render in MODO, and btw MODO RULES !!!

Hope you like it
Cheers
Attached Images

www.stoneking.com.br
Old 23-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #34
kogen
Scripting Monkey

Send a message via ICQ to kogen
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: he was the 3rd in the Speed Sculpting Challenge #11. Stylized Challenge - Gold: Winner of a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 5
Hei Mr. Stoneking,

that looks marvellous. Very good job. It's so cool that you've been able to capture all the little details.
The only thing I'd like to point out are the little "gaps" between the color areas. I mean: When the guy was blue there were kind of yellowish gaps that made a part of the skin in the belly region look like scales. Theese gaps are still there but it's hard to see them. Maybe you could increase the contrast of the turquoise in theese areas?
kogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #35
MightyReg
Artist In Progress

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: fan art 
Total Awards: 2
Looks great man, the blue sure fit him better. Congrats on your first low poly too, looks really great for a first.
One thing you could maybe try is putting your creature on a white background, would maybe help popping him out of the background since blue is kind of a dark color.
I am glad I could help and return the favor for your great tips for sculpting in Zbrush!
MightyReg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #36
Stoneking

Awards Showcase
Hey Mr. Sadone
Glad you liked it,
Thanks a lot for the comment and the imput, really appreciated
yeah! you really made a good point about the colour, it needs more blending, i'll try your tip regards the contrast, letts see what i can do to make it better,

And Dr. Mighty!, glad you liked it, the white background was the initial idea,
and it stays in my mind, not only to have more contrast but because it is all
about ice! i tried many white materials presets and i couldn't make it good, all
looked "blown", but i sure will try to figure it out, also i'll try to make some
"snowish" pedestal

Cheer !!!!!!

Fernando

www.stoneking.com.br
Old 24-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #37
Insania

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 3
Good work.
Insania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #38
Stoneking

Awards Showcase
Hey Insania, glad you liked it, thanks

Here's my final,
I would like to ask you guys some help,
Please help me with the Winner shot, i'm posting 3 options

if you could tell me which you think is the best one, or
what can i do to make it better i would appreciate very much,
Thanks in advance !!

Hope you like it

The 3 winner shots:
Attached Images

www.stoneking.com.br
Old 27-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #39
Stoneking

Awards Showcase
Beauty, construction and Maps:
Attached Images

www.stoneking.com.br
Old 27-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #40
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
I think your all your options are just fine, the only thing holding you back is your background color. Black isn't the best thing for this model. Go with something lighter, it will help push your model out, instead of hiding the darker detail. and what resolution are you rendering at, I would go with something around the 2000x2000 range, nothing smaller than that.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #41
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
I think your all your options are just fine, the only thing holding you back is your background color. Black isn't the best thing for this model. Go with something lighter, it will help push your model out, instead of hiding the darker detail. and what resolution are you rendering at, I would go with something around the 2000x2000 range, nothing smaller than that.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 27-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #42
Stoneking

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG ToE-3DT View Post
Thank a lot BigToe,
I'll try my best to make a lighter BG for the render, any colour suggestion?
And about the resolution, i'm doing 1600x1200, i thought it was fine, thanks for the advice, i'll also render it bigger,

Appreciated your imput, thanks for the help

Let's RUSH !

Cheers
Fernando

www.stoneking.com.br
Old 27-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #43
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
well the way you want to think about your renders is about how they will look when printed. most will print at 300 dpi, and you don't want your prints to be pixely, so keep this in mind, if your printing an 8x10 image at 300 dpi, your render should be 2400x3000 pixels. Even if you don't print, this will give you super clean renders with an option to print later. 2000x2000 will give you clean renders as well, but print size is smaller.

as for a background color, I would start with a grey, play around with different shades of grey, something to show your character in a snowy environment. To match the stand he/it is on.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
Old 27-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #44
Stoneking

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG ToE-3DT View Post
well the way you want to think about your renders is about how they will look when printed. most will print at 300 dpi, and you don't want your prints to be pixely, so keep this in mind, if your printing an 8x10 image at 300 dpi, your render should be 2400x3000 pixels. Even if you don't print, this will give you super clean renders with an option to print later. 2000x2000 will give you clean renders as well, but print size is smaller.

as for a background color, I would start with a grey, play around with different shades of grey, something to show your character in a snowy environment. To match the stand he/it is on.
Hey BigToe,

Thanks again for the help, very much appreciated
Thats the best thing on been part of this comunity, to learn really important things,
Ah, you've cleared my mind a lot, i just got to the computer and i'm
really curious to try the 2400x3000 resolution, i'm glad that MODO is 300dpi
default so i will not loose these images,

Let's see what can i do with the Background and resolution,

Now i'll RUSH

Best rergards

Fernando

www.stoneking.com.br
Old 27-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #45
E4sY
aka E4sY_506 (xbox live)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  
really nice texturing and color.
E4sY is offline   Reply With Quote