>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives > Coming of the Ice - Feb 2010 > 'The Coming of the Ice' - Low Poly

Old 13-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
TerraBite
Master In Training

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Terrabite - Snow Creature - Berfu Tribe

Hey guys! I've finally found the time to start in this challenge. I've been going through a lot of concepts, and came up with something I hope you'll enjoy.

These little creatures are called Berfu (Turkish for "snow queen"). The tribe is made up of mostly females that hunt and catch fish with spears. Their bodies are mostly made up of a fish-like tissue and skin, and their cores are cold as ice. Because of this, icicles grow in an upward position on top of their heads, usually symbolizing a crown-like shape.

Anddd time to base mesh!

Last edited by TerraBite; 13-02-2010 at 11:58 PM..
TerraBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
Are they cold or warm blooded? you have to think of a means by which they regulate body temparature. great concept but i think it needs to be fleshed out more. Why do the have a patch of fur on their chest and not the lower section? right now they just look naked and cold, but yet happy.
TNTxGRAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 02:46 AM   #3
TerraBite
Master In Training

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
They're warm blooded for the most part, but also it's just a concept that I wanted to look interesting with a little bit of a side story to explain their outer appearance.

I don't see many other entries with explanations to their concepts. :P I just like making mine have a little meaning without writing a book.
Old 14-02-2010, 04:38 AM   #4
Appr_oved
Yojimbo level Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrabite View Post
they're warm blooded for the most part, but also it's just a concept that i wanted to look interesting with a little bit of a side story to explain their outer appearance.

I don't see many other entries with explanations to their concepts. i just like making mine have a little meaning without writing a book.
+1
Appr_oved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
strict9
xyz to uv YO

cold blooded is fine by me....the hair is just from a time in the past...we all came from monkeys.....and we don't really need the hair anymore either......
strict9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraBite View Post
They're warm blooded for the most part, but also it's just a concept that I wanted to look interesting with a little bit of a side story to explain their outer appearance.

I don't see many other entries with explanations to their concepts. :P I just like making mine have a little meaning without writing a book.
i never said write a book. i like the concept. All i am saying is...push it even further. And flesh out your so called back story. You say the are warm blooded , and yet their core is cold as ice? Icicles growing on their heads means their physiology is dependent on external temperatures (that's a cold blooded trait). you say their skin is fish-like (fish are cold blooded).

Mayhaps a small back story for your characters would have been that, they were once warm blooded mammals that migrated to an arctic region. over generations of evolution, they began developing cold blooded traits such as fish-like skin and a lower core temperature (resulting in being able to maintain icicles on head). They still retain some older traits like hair, but they are in a transition phase to better suit them to their current environment.
Old 14-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
strict9
xyz to uv YO

go and model it
strict9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
this is such a terrabite thing to do! I really like the concepts!
Old 14-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 6
I like the concept!
Will you do one creature, or more? Because if you do one, you will have some spare tris, which you could use for some more jewels, or some equipment like fish net.
A like the simplicity of course, it makes this creature a whole, but i think you can add some stuff which won't make them more complicated, but will make the scene / character more rich for the eye.

It is also a good idea to model a "family" showing off some personalities with different equipment and facial expressions.

Anyway, i like it
(don't forget to make them pigeon toed...)

Good luck
Old 14-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
thefmilyofblood
Threadjacker

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 3
Awesome! Now make it! Make it NOW!

Fight in the Dominance war!
thefmilyofblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #11
Randize
The Passerby

Send a message via MSN to Randize
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTxGRAVE View Post
Are they cold or warm blooded? you have to think of a means by which they regulate body temparature. great concept but i think it needs to be fleshed out more. Why do the have a patch of fur on their chest and not the lower section? right now they just look naked and cold, but yet happy.
HAHAHA! That's a good one.

I like the concept too, and you do have a point TNT, but sometimes concept alone don't make your design beautiful. Some people can design something visually great but did not have any concept behind it. Yet, we did not dispute the artwork.

Some people good at concept, some at design. I appreciate both skill set coz I don't think I'm good at either one. Still learning here but we all do wanna be better at these.

Randize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
Randize
The Passerby

Send a message via MSN to Randize
Right, some note to you TerraBite I forgot. How big is the creature? Assuming the 3-4 head proportion body they are rather small aren't they? Or maybe I'm wrong, cos the fish is rather small. An anchovy is larger then that I suppose.

Randize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
TerraBite
Master In Training

Awards Showcase
Thanks everyone! I'm starting the base today, may have an update for that later tonight....have some dinner plans this afternoon

strict9 - Ah, true. And thank you! ^_^

TNTxGRAVE - I see, I should of put a bit more thought into the story. I just wanted a quick explanation to their appearance. Maybe if I said it more that they were demons? Then how their bodies work could be endless possibilities, as they wouldn't really be alive, just replicating living things. But thank you so much for the critique on something other than my concept, I don't get a lot said towards my stories and I only want to get better. I will try to adjust the story before the final renders are done.

Raul - Haha really! Finally my style is developing Thank you!

Cordero - Oh yea, at least one pigeon toed XP And yes my plan was to make a few of them. Most of the concentration will be put into the texturing and basic shapes, so there will be distinguishing features on each of them. Wonder if there should be one male? :P And thanks!

thefmilyofblood - It's on the way! ^__^

Randize - Ah, I sort of wanted them to be pretty little creatures, only about 2-3 ft tall....they may have to catch some bigger fish. And thank you, I'm working on my concept and design, hopefully my skills for that will grow quickly.
Old 14-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #14
TNTxGRAVE

Awards Showcase
No problem TerraBite. You have one of the more interesting designs in this competition. You went the extra mile to give us a story. Most people aren't even doing that. Randize said above that "people can design great visually looking characters without concepts", this is true. However when they are drawing said character they are thinking of the character's story in their heads. Like why is there a scar on his face, why does he have a gas mask, why are his clothes distressed. Story and character design go hand in hand. There is no way around it. When it comes to character design, its amazing how some people completely neglect story. You can have the most awesome looking character in history but if his/her story sucks, or you have a bunch or meaningless details then no one can relate to your character and all your hard work will go unrecognized.

none the less, now that we got that out of the way, GO MODEL...lol
Old 16-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #15
Raul

Send a message via Yahoo to Raul
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
yep, what he said!