>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge > THE Sculpting Challenge - Archives

Old 22-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
MonteCristo
Can't stay away.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Sticking with us through the years and being generally cool! (and not to forget, being a super human moderator too!) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII artwork featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII final renders featured on the frontpage The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For the Countess. The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For successfully repping Threedy on the Mini Challenge #2. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: To try and temp you to come back again! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: cute but viscious The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #5 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 14
THE Sculpting Challenge - 005 - Cemetery at the Edge of Nightmares (Nudity Warning)

Name:  SculptingBanner005.jpg
Views: 6813
Size:  174.7 KB

Cemetery at the Edge of Nightmares - 1752a.d.
As I emerged into a twilight landscape, the night mists were already abroad, rising swiftly as they were from the fringes of the cemetery and slipping across its graves like cobwebs. In the West, a murder of crows made wing towards the failing sun, until, within that wooded horizon their black forms were lost amidst an ancient battalion of pines that stood vast and unmoving, the shadows beneath their boughs ancient and impenetrable. I stepped out of the small archway and on to cobbles. Ahead of me, a countless array of statues marked an arrow-straight path to a vast but distant portal, beyond which the flames of a nightmare realm beckoned; my first glimpse of the place I had travelled so far to find.
Yet, there was no one to guard it. There were only these statues, a rank of curious visions frozen in stone. What were they, I asked myself, the fallen victims to a quest such as mine? The sleeping guardians of this realm? Or were they merely visions of the nightmares that awaited me: a silent warning that I should turn back now?
Within five paces I had reached the first. I looked up...

Right, that should get your imaginations going. Welcome to the fifth challenge of The Speed Sculpting competition. So few limitations except no imitations.

Taking inspiration from Alex Oliver's Thread we are going to work from the same basemesh and create our own dark masterpieces.

Name:  cube_1.jpg
Views: 6637
Size:  99.2 KB

The idea is simple. Create a statue as you might see in the piece written above. It can basically be anything, but it must appear to be a statue. Therefore, it must appear free-standing. Even better, it must appear to have been sculpted. It could be a monster, a beautiful nymph, a demonic apparition, but in some way should be aimed to evoke a sense of great unease. Get your gothic reading-glasses on, go plug in some dark baroque, and construct a vision of nightmare. We feel this is a broad subject that you can really get your teeth into. What statue do you picture in your mind's eye? Is it something from Tolkein? Silent Hill? Harry Potter? Clive Barker? Edgar Allen Poe? Greek Myth? Norse? Hieronymous Bosch? Or the Sistine Chapel Ceiling? It doesn't matter what, just make it weird and wonderful. And please try to stick to the spirit of this competition. If not, expect the other participants to give you a hard time.

So. To mix things up for everyone. We are going to lose the time-constraint this once. We have two weeks, and anything goes. There's no 3D Prize here, so you are free to extract and add bits to this mesh. There is only one restriction, anything you add cannot be as large as the original mesh. They must be enhancements only (eyeballs, earrings, wings, etc.). That said, these sculptures don't have to be human or animal-based. You might sculpt a diorama: A castle under siege, a skeleton hanging from a tree. It could be anything. Let your imagination run riot, and let us sculpt an array of strange and, most importantly, macabre visions to behold.

Name:  Gargoyle1L.jpg
Views: 6521
Size:  11.5 KB

Prizes
The winner can choose any 2 3DTotal products from our shop. Please note a few products here are not 3DTotal's but 12 month mag subscriptions are fine.

Time limit - None
Start Date: Tuesday June 24th
Deadline - Tuesday July 8th, 10:00 AM GMT +0 (For information about GMT click here)
Subject - Creepy Statue

The Rules:

1. The competition will last two weeks, which will be allocated to creating and submitting the entries, followed by several days of judging and voting the entries -- at which point the next competition will start.
2. The moderators will be supplying a base mesh for each competition (this week's provided by forum user (Alex Oliver aka Oliver1 -- Thanks buddy! ), from which everyone will start sculpting. This is so we all get an equal start and it keeps us on topic.
3. Once done post a screen-grab of your model.
4. No rendering, texturing, lighting or rigging, let's keep it all about the high-res sculpt. What we are looking for is the quality of the sculpts you can produce "under pressure", albeit greatly relaxed this time around. If your entry is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognizable and on topic.
5. For your final entry, post a screen-grab from your software with your finished work in it. It's fine to present this stuff nicely, with nice labelling etc, but do not add any post-production to the images themselves. These images must be uploaded to our servers by using the "manage attachments" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external images files. Larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified.There is a good reason for this. We want our archives to survive. We do not want a load of broken imageshack links in the months to come.
6. You can have multiple entries, but you can have only one final entry for each competition.
7. Do not create your own WIP thread. Simply post all WIP screen-grabs in here, and your FINAL entry in the Final Entries Thread at the head of this forum.

These rules apply to everybody taking part, there will be NO exceptions!
We've attached the base mesh at the bottom of this post. Take it and go subdivide.

Ok, go.
Attached Files
File Type: obj cube.obj (27.1 KB, 525 views)
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #2
MonteCristo
Can't stay away.

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Sticking with us through the years and being generally cool! (and not to forget, being a super human moderator too!) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII artwork featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DWIII final renders featured on the frontpage The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For the Countess. The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For successfully repping Threedy on the Mini Challenge #2. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: To try and temp you to come back again! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: cute but viscious The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #5 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 14
Ok, so I probably won't get a chance to post this in the morning, so rather than give this to you late, I'm gonna give it to you early.
That way those of you who are done with #4 can have something to get rolling on!

Enjoy!
Old 24-06-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
Korda

wow this ones going to be hard. Looking forward to seeing how this one goes

-Korda

You need at least two.
Korda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 12:23 AM   #4
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Fantastic theme! Been really looking forward to participating in these challenges, and have been waiting till I had the time available.

And now that I've got time for week05 I find that we're working on the same technique that Alex Oliver used for his recent sculpt, which was something I really wanted to try out after he posted that up.

Looking forward to the next 2 weeks very much.

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 12:48 AM   #5
Intervain

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Goblin mechanic made it to the frontpage! 
Total Awards: 1
ooh sweet theme there MonteCristo! damn, must find some time!
Old 24-06-2008, 01:01 AM   #6
Wartooth

Great theme I can't wait to see what people come up with,
I wanted to try this after seeing Alex's thread so I'm in
Wartooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 12:49 AM   #7
Paper scratcher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 4
Awesome ideea Monte!
"There will be a time when heroes will be diminished and the great glory of Man shall be just a dim star reflected in fading waters of time, when no life nor sacrifice shall be required for the honor of such title, but just the empty banner of a victory."

Locarn D'Arcy, Master Paladin, last Avatar
"Of Heroes and their passing"

www.avatarart.com
http://www.avatarart.com/shards/
Avatar-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
grommie
DDD Addicted

Send a message via MSN to grommie
wow, an amazing challenge isn't it guys?
I love the theme, but at the same time I sure that I'll be so hard!
And, come on. Alex is such a great sculptor
lol
I'll be here again, of course.
And the team of 3dtotal is great.
I'm so happy that I've just discovered this challenges, and I'm telling everybody to come here, sculpt and learn with you guys.
Thanks for suporting us, and I hope this speed never stops.
See ya folks, I'm thinking in what I'll do,
Sorry about my english, but I'm sure that I can speak portuguese =D

www.codornafilmes.com.br/glauco
grommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 01:04 AM   #9
Sathe
Hardstyle

Send a message via MSN to Sathe
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #3 - Joint 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 6
Cool idea, even though its the broadest subject yet, i think its going to be the most difficult.

Hard Surface Essentials http://vimeo.com/10941211

Threedy 4 life
Sathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 01:16 AM   #10
mafida
nic mi sie nie chce:p

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason:  The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the sculpting challenge 15 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #2 - 3rd Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge ''demonic overseer'' 
Total Awards: 6
Great theme!Just opened basemesh in zbrush and dont know what next-never sculpted from so 'complicated' base
mafida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 01:23 AM   #11
Ordibble Plop
High fiddlety

Great challenging theme!

I'll probably spend the next 13 days thinking about what to do
Ordibble Plop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 01:39 AM   #12
funkdelic
3D Dude!

Send a message via ICQ to funkdelic Send a message via MSN to funkdelic
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: the 2nd place at the 22nd LowPoly Contest  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 3
Holy Shi....

love this one, gonna give that a lot of tries!
Old 24-06-2008, 01:48 AM   #13
ryvick
Lucid Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to ryvick
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 4
ok so i am starting to get some concepts done.
i am gonna try to make it an inviting statue from the back and from the front have it really creepy.
here is a sketch if you guys can make it out.
Attached Images

Last edited by ryvick; 24-06-2008 at 02:04 AM..
ryvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 01:56 AM   #14
Mantis

Great challenge, I hope I can find some time to make something.

But I got a question, what is a "free-standing" statue and what is not?

Thank you.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 02:04 AM   #15
gnome
Stray Soul

Send a message via ICQ to gnome Send a message via MSN to gnome
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed animation challenge ''Wrestling Move'' 
Total Awards: 3
This sounds promising, looking forward to great entries.

Although I've never really sculpted anything before, maybe I'll even give it a shot, if I can spare some time. In case I do, I'm probably going for a gargoyle....