>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 23-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #91
Sebiomegas
I am Alpha and Omega!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War character! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
Well... my graphic card is outdated. It doesn't support all the options from Buzzy's shaders. In the long run, I might use a random render engine. It's just that realtime viewport is closer to final game result. Am I right ?

War General Pet Portrait-

Old 25-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #92
Novian
Mentallic Design

Send a message via AIM to Novian
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reache The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
HELP PLEASE!

So I have seen that SR was able to generate a Glow Map using Mental Ray however I am using Default Scan Line and have no idea where I've gone wrong. Below is an image detailing my settings (on the left), my glow map (on the bottom), and a sample of the output so far (right).

Problem is that just his runes (around the forearms) are supposed to glow and yet all of him glows. Where did I go wrong? Please help.

Thank you all.

Cheers~
Novian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #93
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
First off, why are you using default scan line when you could be using mental ray?

I'm not very fluent with Max, but it looks to me like you are trying to apply glow in the completely wrong spot. You need to apply it to the shader in the self-illumination slot. Also from what I've read, you may have to turn off Self-Illumination by checking the color in the "Basic Parameters Roll out".

But don't hold me to any of that, I've never bothered to explore the shading system in Max. It's too archaic for me. I need my graphed shader node network.
Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 10:10 PM   #94
Sebiomegas
I am Alpha and Omega!

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War character! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
About glow...
This is how I do it:
Check the color box next to self-illumination.
Choose a new map type for the self-illumination slot, select output in the list. Put your Glow map in there. Now you can boost the effect above a hundred.
This is a scanline render.

War General Pet Portrait-

Old 26-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #95
Novian
Mentallic Design

Send a message via AIM to Novian
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reache The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Thank you!
Novian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #96
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
anyone know of a way, other than shuting down the program, to stop a render to texture bake, after an "out of memory" error pops up.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #97
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
esc? Works for some things
Old 27-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #98
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
for you max users out there:

light maps. Not as good as an AO map, but it sure does help.

All you do is apply your normal map to the mesh. Open up the render to texture window. "Add" a light map, change the map size to whatever it is you want. Then hit render. It will use the normal maps info in the render. You can then take that render add it as a layer in photoshop and overlay/mutiply/darken to get the look you want. You can always use the oppacity as well if the outcome is too strong for your liking.

Another thing to keep in mind while trying this trick, adding lights into your scene. Setup your lights and do a few test renders till you get what you like, then render out another lightmap and see how the two differ.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #99
aUGIS

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Does anyoune know why mudbox cannot find symmetry, and sometimes it gives unknown error.
I figured this out - model wasn't at 0.0.0 when exporting

Last edited by aUGIS; 29-04-2009 at 11:23 AM..
aUGIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #100
MarioC

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
i'd have a question about the rigging, someone know if it's possible to mirror bone along the axis of another object, just for example, i select the right bones and want to mirror them to the left, using a bone from the spinal column as mirror axis?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #101
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
Astaroth - Are you in Max? it requires some scripting to do properly, which I can show you, but I need to know which axis you are mirroring across.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #102
MarioC

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
Astaroth - Are you in Max? it requires some scripting to do properly, which I can show you, but I need to know which axis you are mirroring across.
thanks buzzy, i'm working in max, and considering the character is facing the front view it's a mirror on the x axis, but considering the spinal column it's on its local z axis
Old 04-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #103
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Ok, so I'm going to give you the basic math, which you can apply on a per bone basis (you will NOT be able to do this on multiple bones at once).

Code:
obj1 = getNodeByName "Bone1"
obj2 = getNodeByName "Bone2"

obj1.pos = [obj2.pos.x, -obj2.pos.y, obj2.pos.z]
obj1.rotation = qorthog (quat obj2.rotation.y obj2.rotation.x obj2.rotation.w obj2.rotation.z) [0,1,0]
obj1.pos = [obj2.pos.x, -obj2.pos.y, obj2.pos.z]
First, copy this bit of script into your MaxScript Editor.
Now, you'll see two names in quotes in this script. "Bone1" and "Bone2"
Replace those names with the names of the bones in your scene. Bone1 is the bone you want to mirror from Bone2 (in other words, Bone2 is the one you already have properly positioned and Bone1 is the one you want to move so it mirrors Bone2)

For example, if you have already properly set up "Bone_ForeArm_Left" and you want "Bone_ForeArm_Right" to mirror it, you would change the script to say:
Code:
obj1 = getNodeByName "Bone_ForeArm_Right"
obj2 = getNodeByName "Bone_ForeArm_Left"
Now, to run the script, in the MaxScript Editor window, go to the Tools menu and select "Evaluate All." Should do the trick.

If you want to do several bones, remember that you have to go DOWN the heirarchy. In other words, you have to do the clavicle bone before the bicep, the bicep before the forearm, etc. You can't do the hand and then the bicep. It would end up throwing off the hand again.

If I knew what sort of naming convention you had, I could propogate this script down the heirarchy automatically and do the entire skeleton all at once.

If this script is mirroring across the wrong axis, let me know and I'll give you the new math.

And make sure you save a backup of your scene in case this causes your character to explode.

Lastly, if this causes your bones to explode and get all warped, you might want to try going into Bone Edit Mode before you run the script.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #104
MarioC

Awards Showcase
thank you buzzy, i've tryed it, but it seems to mirror the bone on the y axis

btw i've thinked of another way of mirroring the bones, just using another temp bone that start from the spinal column and end on another bone of the left part, lets say the clavicle, and then mirror it and use its end bone as an offset on the opposite axis, so that you can mirror the left part bones then, activate snap to pivot, select all the bones, and clicking on the clavicle(since we used it as offset), snap it to the temp bone, and then delete the temp, mirroring all the bone at the same time
would it be difficult to put this in a script, so that one could avoid the naming convention too?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #105
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Change the last three lines of that script to this and it should mirror the correct direction:
Code:
obj1.pos = [-obj2.pos.x, obj2.pos.y, obj2.pos.z]
obj1.rotation = qorthog (quat obj2.rotation.y obj2.rotation.x -obj2.rotation.w -obj2.rotation.z) [1,0,0]
obj1.pos = [-obj2.pos.x, obj2.pos.y, obj2.pos.z]
Your new solution sounds interesting, but I don't think I 100% understand what your plan is. It sounds like it might have some problems though. Can you explain it a bit further?