>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Atomhawk Challenge (Sponsored by Wacom)

Old 01-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
Fri94

ATOMHAWK - 2D - The Atomhawk Research Station - Fri94

Hey guys, I read the competition and really liked the idea so I decided to sign up to throw in my 2 cents.

So here is my WIP from the top.

I played around for quite a while before I settled on a poster idea, so heres some of my thumbnails.

Name:  Atom-thumbs.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  109.7 KB

heres a little info on each 1:
1. An animation of a mutant chicken.
2. A wannabe superhero.
3. The last human colony
4. The first privately owned portal to another dimension
5. The first Synthetic brain/girl
6. Again the first synthetic human (kinda liked that idea )
7. A giant nuclear space station
8. some big mutant dude (looked like a tank from left for dead so i ditched it)
9. some future chick with an awesome sentient bike called atomhawk...(but after tron was released so recently I decided to move on)
10. this is a few guys looking up at a giant nuclear airship (but its too independence day so i scrapped it)
11. Some massive building, atomhawk would be the corporation name...yawn.
12. this was supposed to be a digital flower, kinda liked the idea but its not epic enough.

I was torn for a few days between the idea of atomhawk being the company that created the first synthetic human, and the idea of Atomhawk being the name of one of the last human colonies after a global disaster. In the end I thought the synthetic girl was a little bit blade runner so I went with the colony idea.

Heres my initial concept sketch.

Name:  atomhawk-comp1.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  60.2 KB

yeah.. its 1 lame looking poster hahaha but its my starting point

Last edited by Fri94; 01-04-2011 at 07:23 PM..
Fri94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Fri94

These are some more sketches I did while toying with my idea, I was unsue that the building will have enough of an impact just by its self.so I was playing with the idea of adding some characters and maybe a vehicle or 2

Name:  ideas.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  103.1 KB

I really like the third one, It looks like a movie poster... but after alot of thought I decided to ditch these ideas and stay away from the typical Hollywood style layout. Because I want to create a very cold and stoic image. Unfortunatly this decision means I wont get to paint cool androids or massive vehicles

But we will see how it goes, Im having fun with it anyway hopfully the final image will have the same impact it has in my head.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
Fri94

Heres the WIP so far.
Name:  WIP1.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  45.2 KB Name:  WIP2.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  37.8 KB

Sticking with my original Idea, Im just working into it at the moment, Im considering keeping it greyscale for impact, but we will see.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
elgama

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 2
Hi, i would consider the composition and your values. You should avoid having your center of interest smacked in the middle, instead move it to the right, following the rule of thirds.

http://photoinf.com/General/KODAK/gu...of_thirds.html

Regarding the values, you should save the darker ones for the foreground and the lighter values as you go far away in the three dimensional space.
elgama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
Fri94

Yeah, these values are not final and the layout will change slightly when I fit it to the correct poster ratio.

But I want that building to sit bang in the middle, I want it to appear imposing and overbearing. The light will spread from the sun on the left which will draw the eye and hopfully create a nice contrast between the natural landscape and this industrial structure, which has survived the ice age.

anyway heres another update:

Name:  WIP4.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  38.1 KB
Old 07-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
Fri94

Heres another WIP in the correct ratio now, Ill post up a colour one soon. the text is just me messing around that will get changed. let me know what you think guys

Name:  WIP5.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  50.4 KB
Old 08-04-2011, 03:13 AM   #7
Inspirewood

Love how heavy it looks - I have trouble making tech. buildings look good. I am too symmetrical I guess.
Inspirewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
migroe

nice, waiting for the coloured version. keep it up!
migroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #9
dalton_muniz

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won on speed painting challanges no. 74 ''Fight Scene'' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 2
Hi man! Really thanks for the words in my thread, I have to say that you are doing really well too! I liked your idea, and the feeling that you are passing with it, but I think maybe the tower is too short, if it was taller it would help in the impact (maybe take the horizontal line lower?) . And its position..I liked it more when it was more on the right! But these are only suggestions.. The posters of the Lord of the rings Two Towers are a nice reference Keep it up man, I am looking forward for the updates!
dalton_muniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatdalton_muniz! Thank you:
Fri94 (10-04-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Fri94

Thanks dalton Im pulling the thing to bits at the moment because I have painted it up in colour but it just lacks the big impact and its alot of work to make big composition changes at this stage so Im not sure if it will all come together or if ill stick with what i got, but thanks for the tip hopefully I'll be happy with it before hand in time. (although part of me wants to start over lol)
Old 13-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
Fri94

heres a bit colour, not realistic but I like it The whole thing is still pretty sloppy but im working on it.

Name:  WIPCol.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  193.1 KB

on a side note I played around with the composition alot, I wanted to make it more dynamic but it would require a full repaint which I cannot do at this stage in the competition so I decided to just go with what I have and try to convey as much feeling through it as possible.

Thanks again to the guys who gave me the feedback, by the way dalton I fixed the horizon, Its not shown on this pic but it will be on the final one
Old 13-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
BradMan

Nice mood as per your idea rationale. Lovin it!
BradMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #13
Fri94

Name:  WIP9.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  72.9 KB

Here is another WIP, I noticed we got an extension for a few days so Im going to do my best with it, although Its almost done now... I already ditched the birds they were messin up my scale

But yeah that's pretty much where I'm at, got some more text to add at the top in the big black space, then some finnishing touches etc hopefully I'll improve it a bit more before hand in
Old 18-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
Fri94

This comp rocked figure ill post my final here too to complete the thread

Name:  Atomhawk-F2.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  188.1 KB

Name:  atomhawk-wip.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  193.4 KB