>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Atomhawk Challenge (Sponsored by Wacom)

Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #31
dalton_muniz

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won on speed painting challanges no. 74 ''Fight Scene'' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 2
The last option is way better than the previous one, I cant say about the blacks because right now I am on a cheap screen laptop..haha. Keep it up!
dalton_muniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:37 PM   #32
Mr. Reedux
Professionally Casual

Thanks peeps
Gawd, I hate drawing cities. There's something about straight lines and artificial design that puts me off so bad :|

You don't want to know how many times I had to redraw this, still very rough, cityscape :'(

Mr. Reedux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #33
migroe

like your new direction (though I liked the first one also )!
on my "good" screen it's maybe just a little too dark, on my notebook a little too bright... hope that helps?
keep it up, would like to see this one finished!
migroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:34 AM   #34
Mr. Reedux
Professionally Casual

Allright, thanks migroe. I've been stressing over the composition all day, the hawk in particular but I think I got it right finally. I've also been messing about with the light so that it can be viewed on most monitors. It was really frustrating cause on mine I had it just right, then looked at it on a 7year old monitor and it was almost pitch black so.. yeah

Latest wip:
Old 12-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #35
Mr. Reedux
Professionally Casual

Right guys, now that I've decided on the composition I thought I'd share with you some of the voodoo crap that's going on in it.

What's happening is that the city is pointing and bringing your eyes upwards, the building right behind the hawk is pretty much an obvious arrow pointing at our hero.

Humans focus on eyes, faces and hands by default and to further bring that into my painting in terms of composition I've done a bit of selective detailing on those areas.
The face and hand has a little bit of more rendering than the city or his legs to attract attention.

Same goes for the hawk, had I left the head sketchy and went crazy on its wings you'd have looked at the wings rather than the head. Some basic composition theory for you.

The negative space wing is probably the most obvious part so far, it's practically a bunch of arrows that yell at you "LOOK THAT WAY!"

Composition can never be 100% correct. The area of focus is always in the eyes of the beholder, as a painter I can only try to manipulate your eyes to go where I want them.

Here's an image to visually explain what I'm on about.

Ok, back to rendering!

Last edited by Mr. Reedux; 12-04-2011 at 07:06 PM..
Old 14-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #36
KumoriKiku

I'm really glad you didn't get rid of the eyes because they're damn gorgeous. The only thing I can think of to recommend is possibly moving the hawk from it's current location, possibly a small silhuette in front of the moon? I see that you have the hawk there to help move the eye around the image but the eye would move much easier without it at that location and keep the composition from feeling too lopsided or crowded. But that might just be me being biased because I wanna see more of your pretty city
KumoriKiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #37
Mr. Reedux
Professionally Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumoriKiku View Post
I'm really glad you didn't get rid of the eyes because they're damn gorgeous. The only thing I can think of to recommend is possibly moving the hawk from it's current location, possibly a small silhuette in front of the moon? I see that you have the hawk there to help move the eye around the image but the eye would move much easier without it at that location and keep the composition from feeling too lopsided or crowded. But that might just be me being biased because I wanna see more of your pretty city
Hah, you don't know how many hours I spent just going between different places to have the hawk. In the end It looked better to leave the sky clear and cover up some of the city cause I'm not that good at cityscapes yet
Old 15-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #38
grafi
ƃ ɹ ɐ ɟ ı

Send a message via MSN to grafi
Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 1
Hey Mr. Redux,

Can't lie, kinda fell in love with the first design a lot more than this one, but I like them both a lot. Also loving the new text work & the painter quality on this new one; I can't wait to see it with the atom molecule in there like before.

I like what the eye movement is doing (especially the hawk looking at the title), but I think the bottom part of the 'wing mask' is actually throwing the viewer's eyes out of the frame instead of into it. Maybe those sharp points could be curved down slightly? Or maybe the city could be tilted so that it's sitting perpendicular to the frame? I do however like when the city is tilted, it makes everything a lot more interesting and adds more action to the shot. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what your next revision looks like, you have my attention.

[Edit]: Saw the Final Image, and it looks great! I like how the Atom Molecule is part of the glove (although I can't get enough glowing things). You actually smoothed out those curves on the mask too, looks a lot better. Nice Work!
SMC #03 - Toys :: Pyraminx - http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread...d=1#post847997
SMC #03 - Toys :: Juggernaut - http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread...d=1#post848527

Last edited by grafi; 15-04-2011 at 01:12 AM..
grafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #39
KumoriKiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Reedux View Post
Hah, you don't know how many hours I spent just going between different places to have the hawk. In the end It looked better to leave the sky clear and cover up some of the city cause I'm not that good at cityscapes yet
Heh, I bet! I could already tell by your attention to detail and stroke. I saw your final version in the main thread and man, I'm glad you went with what you worked so hard for. All of the color touches made it go "ba-BAM!" XD And what you sayin' you bad at cityscapes??? Looks amazing to me!
KumoriKiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #40
vnmribaya

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won on speed painting challanges no. 75 ''Deep Sea Creature'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Lost Jungle Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' 
Total Awards: 8
congratz reedux, nice image, one of my favs
vnmribaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #41
Mr. Reedux
Professionally Casual

Thanks man! I wish I could show more of the thumbnails I have but I just can't get a proper photo of them.

Been thinking based on the crits I got how I can brighten it up and add rimlights as suggested but it just looks cliché to me, maybe some aura type deal.
Old 21-05-2011, 05:57 AM   #42
heaton1

nice image,I like it
heaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote