>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Inorganic models/scenes'

Old 17-03-2004, 03:14 AM   #1
Chrisp-3DT
Naughty Kinky Boy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: lots of posts! 
Total Awards: 2
Exclamation Attention car modelers!

One of our future 3D Texture cds is to be based for cars. We also plan to include a few models with this, for items such as generic parts (wheels etc..) We would really like some feed back from all the Threedy members that are car modelers as we would like to know what you would like to see on this cd.

Thanks Chris

ps the person that gives the most useful feedback will be getting a complementary copy of this cd
Chrisp-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2004, 03:54 AM   #2
JHarford
Director@Airship

Send a message via MSN to JHarford
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target Reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My skateboard model was featured on the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Whipslash bane featured on top row The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Female thread up on plug bar The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Rick whipslash bane was on the top row of the forums The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Posting a video in the Sculpting thread The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! 
Total Awards: 11
update:
leather materials and bump maps. quite important things.
different seat materials and designs would be good.
LDR images.
-

hi chris, for the car texture cd, i think there a few things that would be great : .

hdri maps. - outdoors . indoor studio . overhead showroom light rig hdrs.etc.

high resolution background images. such as street . towns. car parks. trees .
these could be 360 panoramas. which would be really great. or they could be 180 fov images.

floor textures. as found on the total texture cds.
some to match the HDRi's

such as gravel - with displacement maps
grass, roads, - tarmac, gravel, dirttrack,

reflection maps, for glass.

a selection of max preset shaders, for glass , car paint, chrome, bumpers, black bumped plastic.

headlamp displace/bump images. for different cut glass headlamp designs.

similar to DVGarage . dirt maps and TTcds . grime maps
for use as a layer of scratches across different parts of the car.

Dirt maps for dirty cars.

selection of rally textures - stickers. rollcage logos. etc.

thats about it i can think of now,
ill try and think more and update you ,..
hope this helps. i think these will sell very well.

Last edited by JHarford; 21-03-2004 at 12:52 AM..
JHarford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2004, 07:29 AM   #3
Chrisp-3DT
Naughty Kinky Boy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: lots of posts! 
thanks for your input and if you have any more ideas post them up ok
Old 17-03-2004, 11:35 AM   #4
3Dan

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Not much to add after cgstripe's suggestions which are pretty comprehensive. Perhaps some instrument and dial bumpmaps would be useful too.
Old 18-03-2004, 01:10 PM   #5
legato
Corrupted Member

adding to that (model wise) , include stuff that's pretty much the same on most cars ..wiper blades, brake discs, calipers maybe...
legato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2004, 06:38 PM   #6
splint

Tires, you got to have tire models. Theyre a pain to get right without blowing the poly budget. Other reusable models that are time consuming would also be nice. For example engine components, coil-over shocks, linkages, and such.

Also, I would love to see good tileable carbon fiber textures and some brushed metals. Ive looked for carbon fiber everywhere a while ago and found nothing. Interior textures would also be nice like suede, leather, tweed, and maybe even console backlays and gauge faces. A texture like that takes a while to do well, and since they are usually flat in real life it could be used straight out with little modification.
This also brings to mind those universal images found all over cars like the image on your oil cap, wiper fluid reservoir cap, and the excess of images found on buttons in the interior.

I second the HDRI images along with shaders for car paint.

Finally, logos of manufactures and automotive products might be useful. Finding usably sized images requires tedious scouring of corporate websites. However, I would imagine there might be a few legal barriers in selling the compilation of these images, so it might not be worth it.

This is about all I can think of
splint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2004, 11:15 PM   #7
nalhcal

Things that I would like, would just be cement, tarmac textures, maybe brick walls.

A variety of treads would be good.

Some different photos would be good, like highway shots, dirt roads - general pictures that you could composite models into.

I am pretty sure that you wouldn't be able to include things like brands or logos, because selling them without permission would probably cause problems with some companies. Or maybe you could include links to sites like

www.brandsoftheworld.com/ For logos

www.cardomain.com for custom car images etc
Old 21-03-2004, 04:55 AM   #8
Chrisp-3DT
Naughty Kinky Boy

Awards Showcase
thanks for all your input im making a long list
keep it going
Old 21-03-2004, 09:01 AM   #9
Goig!
Yep, a smiley. SO WHAT!?

Send a message via ICQ to Goig!
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by splint Also, I would love to see good tileable carbon fiber textures and some brushed metals. Ive looked for carbon fiber everywhere a while ago and found nothing.
Ive heard through the grapevine that one of the next Total Texture CDs will include a carbon fiber material...
Old 22-03-2004, 05:27 AM   #10
Psistorm

I totally agree with cgstripes suggestions, there aint much to add after that

what I would maybe like to have would be fotos of the manufactures symbols, so you can spline em more easily (some logos are hard to find in good quality, e.g. a mclaren logo took me ages to find a halfways decent pic)
Psistorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2004, 07:35 PM   #11
cgvideos

Send a message via MSN to cgvideos
I have an i dea which might be hard to come by, but what about getting some very hard to find blueprints in high res. Like Holden and Ford (Australia) blueprints are nearly nowhere to be found, things like that would make people buy the cd as they cannot be found anywhere else. Also would it be possible to make a Texture DVD for the car version. It would be really good to have pre made scenes for the cars to be placed in aswell, such as a dealership, car wash, showroom, garage, driveway, etc.

I know a lot of people who would definetly buy the CD if it contained indepth tutorials (preferably video)

Also things that arent the easiest to model such as tyres are good, aswell as maybe some of the wheels from aftermarket companies would be good (such as BBS). Also would be some materials such as car paint, chrome, glass, plastic, leather, carbon fibre, wood grain, rubber, metal.

I'll try to think up some later.
Old 24-03-2004, 09:12 PM   #12
Silverdog

Great idea! You have quite a list going, but I would like to add:

A good cast aluminum texture
Hi-Res shots of stadium/race track grandstands
Tire logo textures

Thanx
Silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2004, 11:45 PM   #13
novoAlias
Found snow.

Send a message via MSN to novoAlias
hmm the only other thing i could think of is maybe adding one or two of your car tutorials? maybe karabos and the recently added spline car

also what formats are these going to be in? is it for max only or multiple or maybe even diffferent disks for diff programs?

ill be looking out for this CD, ill probably order it too yay for 3dtotal
,,`,,`,,

http://forums.3dtotal.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=726&dateline=11981294  96
novoAlias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2004, 04:23 AM   #14
L10N
aka Kriv

Send a message via MSN to L10N
apart of everything already mentioned here, Id like some good quality scratch maps.. I dunno how to make them myself, and just try to find sth on the internet..

I dont know if headlamp is the same as headligh (probably) but headlight (and ofcourse back lights] maps would be great..

hmm... I just thought of a challenge: try to put in maps, like that ice on the frontwindow (windshield?) on a cold winter morning..

oh, also skymaps (maybe it was mentioned already )
Old 30-03-2004, 04:28 PM   #15
bullethead
mmmuuaaahahahhaahahahahah

Send a message via AIM to bullethead
I cant really think of anything else to add to this. I mean cgstripe just hit it on the money with all of his ideas on what I would want on this texture and the things he didnt mention other people have as well. I cant wait till this is released cause I will definatly buy it in a heart beat.

Click here to see my Russian Isu-152 Tank(WIP)

Click here to see my WIP 2Door humvee for HL2 mod
-------------------------------------------
"Life is but a dream in someones head" Bullethead
-------------------------------------------
AIM=St Metallica
MSN=bullethead_4@hotmail.com
bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote