>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Speed Painting Challenges

Old 15-09-2004, 11:21 PM   #16
ROB

Hey Androgs,
I checked out the tutorials, which are good.
But I was thinking more about tips on a smaller scale for example:

Paint what you want using grey tones on one layer then use a colour layer over that to colourize your painting.

small tips like that, You know what I mean?
perhaps we dont really need the section, I dont know.
Anyone have an opinion on it?
ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2004, 07:12 PM   #17
Michael
Lone Brushboy

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 3
Hmm... maybe you also check my tutorial covering some parts of colour theory. Then, idf you have any more questions - I'll be glad to help.

The tip that you wrote - Hmm... I never do that. It may be faster, yeah, BUT when you will read the tutorial, you'll find out that lighted and shaded areas don't have the same colour, the transitions between them is smooth. You won't get it with one colour layer, you would have to paint the colour by yourself with some opacity mode applied to it. And that is not very easy to hanlde, furthermore you could end up with different colour that you wanted. This could make it more time absorbing etc.

I wrote that I don't do that. You can find this technique good and it can suit your needs. That is the matter of choice.
Old 28-09-2004, 08:57 AM   #18
CHK

I always have troubles painting "fish scales" to be realistic enough without just tracing a photos. Any idea or tricks? This could be a good thread also don't you think guys?
BTW if you know any tutorials, I'll be most gratfull!!

Ck.
CHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 03:03 AM   #19
Smack Monkey
Funkius Monkius Smackae

I really liked the way you described the scene for the last challenge (#6). The idea of telling a story with a single picture reall interests me. I would love to see more of that in future challenges.
some ideas include:
a tragic death without showing any bodies.
a sci-fi or fantasy sports match (quidich anyone?)
animal people (animal heads on human bodies or vice versa)
Illustrations for classic novels
alien landscapes
sewer cities
post apocolyptic environments

looking forard to the next challenge!

Bear Man WIP
Smack Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 04:13 AM   #20
Michael
Lone Brushboy

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
PLEASE PUT YOUR INPUT ABOUT THIS ONE :

How about making a 3 challenges cnnected - it would be character concepting - broghters or sisters warriors - ONE CHALLENGE; putting them into action scene - environment and action painting - SECOND CHALLENGE; defeat - one of them or both fell during battle, if one survives - he could mourn over the body or grave - this all would be free for interpretation, the topic of challenge would be "defeated" - THIRD CHALLENGE.

What do you say about that? I think it wuold be nice - you would have to think about your characters, make connection with them. It wouldn't be just one-time concepting. You would have to think about their skills, personality, the way of fighting. Who would be defeated and why ( maybe both of them, maybe they would be in their heaven or something ). Then - if you would like it - we could make TWO WEEK LASTING BIG CHALLENGE and paint ONE PAGE COLOUR COMIC BOOK with them. I would give description.

Input?

I see that most of you would love to paint some scene challenges. Will take care that you won't suffer from not having them

EDIT - What I meant is to make three challenges - one challenge per week, one for voting - just like we do it now, but all three connected. But if you want - we can make it in ONE week. It's all up to you. I would stick to three weeks' version, though....

Last edited by Michael; 01-10-2004 at 01:18 PM..
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:48 AM   #21
CHK

I like the idea!!
So if I understand correctly we will have to post 3 paintings before the time limit right? It that's the way it is than this is gonna be a very tough one but again very challenging.
Great idea Michael-3DT!

PS: Did you guys thought about painting some fish scales???
Old 01-10-2004, 11:43 AM   #22
Androgs
Digital Artist

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
Thumbs up

absolutely great idea!!! its about time to put this speedy challenge to the next step level .

CHK, what is the fish scale ?

Last edited by Androgs; 01-10-2004 at 11:47 AM..
Androgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 01:36 PM   #23
LittleFish
Sketcher

sounds great. would winners be picked for overall, or for each stage? okay, I guess for each.

edit: that brother/sister warrior thing sounds like great fun from the getgo. Looking forward to whatever you do decide.

omnia vincit veritas
LittleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:42 PM   #24
CHK

Andorgs: I was trying to draw some nice fish scales. for a project. Do you or anyboy knows how a good way to draw proper fish scales?
Old 04-10-2004, 03:21 AM   #25
Michael
Lone Brushboy

Awards Showcase
Humm... I've never tried that... Maybe you just take a reference photo and stick close to it? Sorry if that's not much of a help... but that's what I would do.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:48 AM   #26
Androgs
Digital Artist

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 2
here's another idea from me:
- self caricature.
- drawing threedy member's avatar caricature group.
- future city in night.
- paint a random cartoon characters.

Last edited by Androgs; 06-10-2004 at 10:53 AM..
Androgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2004, 09:35 PM   #27
noouch

Send a message via ICQ to noouch
Maybe we should do less characters, although a self-caricature sounds cool. I also like the "reference photo" idea. I myself would prefer a panorama scene painting. Maybe make a panorama that is seamless on the edges and goes around 360 degrees.
noouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 04:00 PM   #28
Michael
Lone Brushboy

Awards Showcase
Yeah, as I see the character concepting is not very popular We'll try something else next week.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:13 AM   #29
elvenartist

one of my ideas was a motherearth thing. Like what you thing she looks like.
elvenartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 04:45 PM   #30
Michael
Lone Brushboy

Awards Showcase
NIce one, Elven will be used.