>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge

Old 05-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #16
mdale13

Send a message via AIM to mdale13
a copy of a rodin piece?
mdale13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #17
AndrewQ

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 3rd Place 
Total Awards: 2
I like mdale13 idea, recreating existing pieces could be really fun. Maybe some older stuff like Bernini or some greco roman stuff!
AndrewQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:03 AM   #18
mdale13

Send a message via AIM to mdale13
im glad we have generate so many good ideas here! to expand on what i previously posted, and what andrew posted, really any famous sculpture would be good. i cant wait to hear which ones the mods decide on!
mdale13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:14 AM   #19
gumby666

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 1
All good ideas I reckon!
The anatomy topic could also extend to animal and plant too.

How about a Carnivale, Freakshow, Fairground topic?

I used to help come up with topics for a weekly art challenge on my college's forum. We used to use a random text generator to create a topic. You could choose how many words, whether they were nouns, adjectives etc. The topics were abstract but very open for interpretation. It was interesting to see how differently people interpreted the same phrase. The only problem would be if this style proves difficult for non-native english speakers.
An example of a different (the ones I used to use are no longer active) random text generator is:

http://www.seventhsanctum.com/genera...ame=quicktheme
Example: - Setting: cyberpunk/western. Theme:man-against-the-world/metamorphosis story

I'm sure there's plenty of other similar sites available
Just an idea
gumby666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #20
Loafie

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
freakshow or steampunk would be fun
Loafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #21
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Total Awards: 3
Hey gumby666 - I love the theme generator!! I'm going to show this to the team and see what they think - very, very cool!

Follow us! Facebook.com/3DTotal
Tweet us! Twitter.com/3dtotal
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #22
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
1.chess pieces as lving beings
2.dragon child cant tell his reknowned and veneered father that he just flunked dragon academy flying exams?(just a simple 2 dragon sculpt ,the childs approach and conveying possibilties shud be the high light)
3.lynnete maams bday party wth cake off course XD ( imagine the scene)
4. what would a hairless were wolf kid fell when mocked at school.
5. the clothes u would love to wear someday.( get wierd ,get unrealistik, sculpt ur attire desire)

P.S. please bring stylized challenges bck
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #23
Subliminalowl

oh i like the chess pieces as living beings, aby arty, i kind of worked on that a little a while back. With that said:

1.Demons and fallen angels...if you actually look up demons, there is a list of MANY of them. Creative freedom is open and they are always interesting. This not only informs but provides a great challenge! Take a gander.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_theological_demons

2. Humans infused with objects or machine.
Subliminalowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #24
omnicypher

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
clothing sounds interesting, alot of zbrush work ive seen is nude, which i think is because clothing wrinkles are hard to get right, but a clothing competition would be good practice, and to see everyones wrinkle workflow would be usefull.
omnicypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #25
frebel
Felipe Rebelo

Send a message via MSN to frebel
first suggestion > animals in general
Second > universe of blizzard (refs from all games and chars of blizzard *.*)
Third > chars of classic 2d games ( doing their own interpretation of how they were in 3d )

http://frebell.cgsociety.org/gallery/
frebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 08:44 PM   #26
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
@frebel game characters han , hmm ya why not LF2 , tht lil thing is a goldmine of characters.

or we could do pokemon , i dnt think we have tried it even once?

if any one wants inorganic then, amm wizard stuff , the staff the trinket, the amulet ,the robe ,the orb, and the pet pheonix XD
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #27
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm just checking in with the team to see when the next challenge will be on its way - please stick around for that as it'll be coming soon

Old 20-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #28
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
If anyone's got some more ideas, now's the time to shout it, people.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 09:18 PM   #29
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
hmm. I wonder if we could do something silly, like take 3 random photos of people off Google (or wherever - could be photos of friends, colleagues, or even the 3DTotal staff - eek!), and cut those 3 photos into horizontal strips, separating the eyes, nose and mouth (I can do an example if no-one gets me ). and then: sculpt it!

I used to do this for paintings back in college (a loooong time ago) using photos from magazines and you can get some pretty cool results - surprisingly! using PS you can scale the photos up/down to get a good face shape, too ... perhaps you could even use animals, and mix men/women, adults/children ... ? just a thought anywho!

Old 20-04-2009, 11:58 PM   #30
WildWire

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #6 - 1st Place The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #7 - 2nd Place The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place Sculpting Challenge #17 
I would like more simple themes. Like:

a bust of a......

Gangsters of the thirties
cyborg kid
Monsters from MIB
Alien house pet

six hours sculpt time
and two own simple base meshes for accessory

Cheers

Ralf Stumpf
WildWire is offline   Reply With Quote