>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge

Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #46
capitan_popo
3d junkie

Awards Showcase
The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature 
Total Awards: 1
pinups would be an awesome topic!
Old 19-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #47
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
hmm actually ,there arent many people in here to agree with ideas.
pin-up is fine by me for a future topick.

i was hoping for feedback on post #41
member tell me what u feel, it helps me to change direction of my thots, i cud gve u better ideas then.

here goes:
1) we havnt done scenes or multiple characters ,just put any topic wth this condition.
2)railway
3)bees vs bears (yup! over honey)
4)pokemon. seriously i dnt know why u guyz hate it. its got so much potential ,u cud just use human characters if not the pokemon.
5)inventions of dreams. ( umm flying shooz fr eg.)
6)hands ( lets see who can use this the best)
7)kerem beyit ( lol dnt run away ! i know hes a detail monster but sculpting his works would be a cool excersize.)
8)artix entertainment's characters maybe.
9) anime (i know dbz fans will be unleased XD)
10) butchers
11) General Blastall ( yay lol this guy got a gep gun)
12 )umm babes XD ( sry got carried away )

thats all fr now u got this and 41 to reply to.
aby arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #48
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
Total Awards: 3
Hi aby arty, thanks for all your suggestions

1 - scenes or multiple characters: I think the reason we haven't gone for this (yet) is that it could be too detailed/difficult for a speed sculpting challenge, but we'll certainly keep it in mind anyway

2 - railway: do you mean a railway scene, such as sculpting a train, the tracks, the station? I'm a bit confused - I think sculpting just a railway track would be a bot boring, hehe

3 - bees bs bears: Winne the pooh? hehe! Erm, this topic is very specific; perhaps if we had something a little more open, like something along the lines of a battle between a big land animal and a small flying insect, then we might be onto something...

4 - pokemon: hmm, well the reason this isn't perhaps loved is because pokemon is already a highly stylised subject so there is not alot of room for manouvre for those who aren't into that style. It's a niche subject really, that would not appeal to the masses.

5 - Inventions of dreams: not quite sure what you mean by this? Do you mean inventions that people dream about creating, like a robot that makes me my breakfast? let us know what you're thinking

6 - Hands: I think some subjects like sculpting body parts would be great - a bit like a sculpting class, where we all sculpt a reference or something would be good, and the best, most accurately detailed wins!

7 - Kerem Beyit: I think it's best to allow artists to create their own unique characters, rather than using someone else's artwork as a concept.

...I'm finishing my lunch now so going to stop this reply before it gets mega huge and boring. Feel free everyone else to join in and give your comments and suggestions!

Follow us! Facebook.com/3DTotal
Tweet us! Twitter.com/3dtotal
Lynette-3dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 05:23 AM   #49
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
@Lynette-3dt :1) nah theyll enjoy it. theres a lot of room in a scene to go crazy u know.

2)oh i just ment a train ! pp can do extra if the time limit and basemess allow.

3)all people dnt make same bees and bear i guess .

4)493 creatures and along wth many human characters is what u call niche.
hmm thank god ken sugimori aint reading this lol poor old man wud have heartbreak.

5)yeah ur on right track ,but u got of on an early station . just kiding . u r right.

6)yep i have been saying the sim. may be uhave mod effect

7) umm i thought all 3d artist dnt concept themselves. and all concept artist dnt model themselves.
that is why i said lets try to replicate kb's awesomeness.

aaw u got stingy here i wrote 12, u respond 7 . more please, u respond damn good ,it helps me a lot.

if u got time respond to post 41,

see ya
Old 20-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #50
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For helping out with the Dom War and the Avatar competition. 
haha, yeah i came to the end of my lunch at #7 and wanted to get back to work, but will have a read of your posts again later on and will reply again

just a couple of points though: sure, modellers in the industry model, and concept artists create concepts, but you'll get a long way if you can come up with your own concepts and designs for your own models! it also saves problems of copyrights when you want to come and sell a 3D illustration for example; if you've used an existing concept by someone else then you wouldn't have the permissions to do that, you see. so ... i think it's good for us to encourage people to come up with their own concepts

when i said "niche" for the pokemon i didn't mean not many people like it (i used to watch it religiously a few years ago, hehe), i just meant that it terms of modelling/sculpting, then the style of model is very particular, and it wouldn't be good for encouraging creativity in that respect. I think the challenges work well when they allow people to use their creativity and make some really unique work! for example, pokemon worked well when we did the real-life cartoon challenge, as someone represented pikachu (i think) in their own way; however, as a whole challenge on pokemon ... i don't think it would really work. but, i have been proven wrong on many occasion, so this is just my personal opinion

will reply again soon ...

Old 20-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #51
Lord McGoat

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 2nd Place 
Total Awards: 2
I think an ecorce would be cool. Could be of anything - a face, body part, animal, alien, existing drawing or sculpture. As long as it's flayed, it's good
Lord McGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #52
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
........what's an "ecorce"? (sorry if i'm being thick, hehehe)

Old 20-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #53
Lord McGoat

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: THE Sculpting Challenge #1 - 2nd Place 
Total Awards: 2
Hi Lynette,
It's basically a study with the skin removed, like you'd see in an anatomy book.
Lord McGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #54
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ok, i'm there now

Old 20-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #55
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
ok, here we go:

8)artix entertainment's characters maybe - again, i think this would only work like in the pokemon suggestion sense: it could work in a broad topic such as real life cartoon, but I think it's too specific for a whole challenge to be based on it. again, just my own opinion!

9) anime (i know dbz fans will be unleased XD) - I think this could work!

10) butchers - we had this as a topic on the 2d stylised challenge (over on Conceptart.org) and it was very popular, so ... it could work! It would be cool to add props and see what people come up with.

11) General Blastall ( yay lol this guy got a gep gun) - who is this? hehe

12 )umm babes XD ( sry got carried away ) - time for a cold shower? hehehe I guess the pinup topic would cover this one

Old 20-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #56
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Quote:
hmm it seems lyn maam woke up and all others went to sleep

ill get some life in this dead thread, here ya are :

1)futuristic car
2)"Reebok wants u to design their next premium sneaker, and they want u to go crazy"
3)a wood modellers shack (scene)
4) hidden treasure uncovered ( scene)
5) most artistic hairdo (well have lots of hair practice )

ya i know all above ones are inorganic, coz i feel we need a change from the manotany of organic an faces seriously. scenes base meshes can be primitives placed like in a room thats all.

1)the kiss
2)dance
3)a treat at pizza hut (mmmm XD)
4) the lost city
5) towards paradise riding on a camel

these are expression based ,scenes mostly , but they are more organic than above .

1)fishermen
2)rockstar
3) archaeologist
4)entrepeneur
5) cobbler
6) the jet pilot
7) soldier(the huge hulk type , wth game like styling , somone ho can use rocket launcers wth one hand )
8)the clown
9)the ice skater lady
10)sorceress (emphasis on clothing )
11)dragon king (bored) sitting on his throne ,and hear his ministers blabber
12)the mafia
13)doctor
14)scuba diver
15)kungfu teacher/ sensei (yeah something hotter than the third in naruto)

these are profession based, or role based, these are broader concepts.well if patient these cud awesome scenes too.

oh lol i can go on and on , ill cut off the list here , coz if its too much lyn maam will sleep again XD.

would like to hear everyones feedback on these

p.s. we cud have a z-sphere build up too for a change i guess.
wow, your past post was huuuuge! ok, let's have a go at a reply...

1)futuristic car - yep, like it!
2)"Reebok wants u to design their next premium sneaker, and they want u to go crazy" - I would like it if it was a made-up label or something; i'm never keen on using brands and stuff due to copyrights, but something to keep in mind for sure!
3)a wood modellers shack (scene) - yep, this could work - not sure what the popularity would be, but it would be good to do more inorganic stuff!
4) hidden treasure uncovered ( scene) - again, this could work - maybe with some props, too?
5) most artistic hairdo (well have lots of hair practice ) - this could be fun! maybe we give a base mesh of a finished head and everyone just does the hair? hmm, interesting ...

Old 20-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #57
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
1)the kiss - is this the classic painting you're talking about, or just kissing?
2)dance - ermm, i guess this could work? might take more than a speed sculpt if doing a full figure - not sure...
3)a treat at pizza hut (mmmm XD) - errmmmmm, not sure on this one ... you hungry?
4) the lost city - this might be fun, but could be alot of work for a speed sculpt if it's an entire city!!
5) towards paradise riding on a camel - ermmm ... would people model the camel and the person on it? not sure ...

1)fishermen - sure, why not, this could work
2)rockstar - ... and this
3) archaeologist ... erm, might be a bit of a boring one (no offence to archeologists, just not sure what defining features would make this fun to sculpt!)
4)entrepeneur - as above
5) cobbler - i guess this could work...
6) the jet pilot - this would be great if we give props for the glasses and hat - i'm thinking a cool retro open aircraft pilot!!
7) soldier(the huge hulk type , wth game like styling , somone ho can use rocket launcers wth one hand ) - yep, definitely; we did super solider before didn't we? so perhaps this has already been covered...
8)the clown - yep, could work!
9)the ice skater lady - again, would be a full body sculpt, similar to the dance suggestion I guess
10)sorceress (emphasis on clothing ) - yep, could work!
11)dragon king (bored) sitting on his throne ,and hear his ministers blabber ... very specific, let's just go with the dragon we're doing now, and maybe we can consider king for the future?
12)the mafia - this would be cool!!!
13)doctor - see my comments on archeologist. now surgeon would be different - could have props and a cool expression! but doctor is kinda dull...
14)scuba diver - yup, good one!
15)kungfu teacher/ sensei (yeah something hotter than the third in naruto) - yeah, this could work too - similar to the dance and ice skting onces where they'd be full body poses, i guess...

phew, that's me done, finished my lunch now so over and out!

Old 20-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #58
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
@lyn maam - u have comited double double post , u have been gvn a warning , be careful ehahaha

thanx for making the effort of replying to everything . hail lyn maam . aaw there aint any appropriate smiley ,damn we need fresh smileys for sure now .

8)artix entertainment's characters maybe ver 4 games and u say specific .
this has the strongest potential,u could tie up for thier latest art book as prize eh

9) anime (i know dbz fans will be unleased XD) : i am glad
10) butchers :aah done onece ? hmm no sweat seond times more charm XD
11) General Blastall ( yay lol this guy got a gep gun): no one just a indicative name.
12 )umm babes XD ( sry got carried away : nooo i want real ones

post #41 response

Quote:
1)the kiss - is this the classic painting you're talking about, or just kissing?
2)dance - ermm, i guess this could work? might take more than a speed sculpt if doing a full figure - not sure...
3)a treat at pizza hut (mmmm XD) - errmmmmm, not sure on this one ... you hungry?
4) the lost city - this might be fun, but could be alot of work for a speed sculpt if it's an entire city!!
5) towards paradise riding on a camel - ermmm ... would people model the camel and the person on it? not sure ...

1)fishermen - sure, why not, this could work
2)rockstar - ... and this
3) archaeologist ... erm, might be a bit of a boring one (no offence to archeologists, just not sure what defining features would make this fun to sculpt!)
4)entrepeneur - as above
5) cobbler - i guess this could work...
6) the jet pilot - this would be great if we give props for the glasses and hat - i'm thinking a cool retro open aircraft pilot!!
7) soldier(the huge hulk type , wth game like styling , somone ho can use rocket launcers wth one hand ) - yep, definitely; we did super solider before didn't we? so perhaps this has already been covered...
8)the clown - yep, could work!
9)the ice skater lady - again, would be a full body sculpt, similar to the dance suggestion I guess
10)sorceress (emphasis on clothing ) - yep, could work!
11)dragon king (bored) sitting on his throne ,and hear his ministers blabber ... very specific, let's just go with the dragon we're doing now, and maybe we can consider king for the future?
12)the mafia - this would be cool!!!
13)doctor - see my comments on archeologist. now surgeon would be different - could have props and a cool expression! but doctor is kinda dull...
14)scuba diver - yup, good one!
15)kungfu teacher/ sensei (yeah something hotter than the third in naruto) - yeah, this could work too - similar to the dance and ice skting onces where they'd be full body poses, i guess...
1)no just kissing
2) umm yeah these 5 are all scenes.
3)just having pizza wth frends scene. (if the treats on u then iam )
4)we could gve 16 hr time i guess
5)humm yes both, but ur right too tough to enjoy.

----------------------------------------------
i see all profession based wer enjoyed by u.

umm archaelogist is so dam cool u just dnt let ur mind wander:
1.a dinosaur ( mistaken for corps e but not) bites the head reseercher butt after being taken out.
2. the team is scraping out jewels from the lavish tom walls. and suddenly a lady sees thereflection of the mummy checng the m out. X
3.the researchers are partying coz they think they found trace of a lost civ.
but actually its a part of the UFO that distroyed the civ , hahaha.

see!! an this is not all thats possible.

Quote:
1)futuristic car - yep, like it!
2)"Reebok wants u to design their next premium sneaker, and they want u to go crazy" - I would like it if it was a made-up label or something; i'm never keen on using brands and stuff due to copyrights, but something to keep in mind for sure!
3)a wood modellers shack (scene) - yep, this could work - not sure what the popularity would be, but it would be good to do more inorganic stuff!
4) hidden treasure uncovered ( scene) - again, this could work - maybe with some props, too?
5) most artistic hairdo (well have lots of hair practice ) - this could be fun! maybe we give a base mesh of a finished head and everyone just does the hair? hmm, interesting ...
1) hmm ty
2) u wanna start ur shoeline ?? eh fine well call it lynette's
3) yippee i love that too.
4)yeah now ur talkin , lady.
5)lubb u , , glad u like it XD

@lord mcgoat
aaha , just perfect soloution lol.

see lyn maam now , wichever of my idea is too specific , we can do ecorce of that. pokemon , and the similar ones.or we could do like animalda did skeletoonz.

wonder if kerem would drop by to kill me when we rend his creations skinless. ahahahaha , lol my stomach is aching now
(aargh!! i wanted a rolling smiley here , cant v bulletin board support better emotes?)

also lyn maam . i just posted in speed painting ideas , see if u like any of those, few are frome here tho but the are a lot. the post is 81 i guess.

me out

Last edited by aby arty; 21-05-2009 at 09:09 AM..
Old 21-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #59
Lynette-3dt
3DTotal Content Manager

Awards Showcase
Hi Aby Arty, sorry we don't agree on all topic suggestions - don't get me wrong when I say "specific"; what I mean is that I think the challenge may be better with a wider topic.

Anyways, I'm thinking what might be cool at some point (Freespace what do you think to this?) is running a survey of all the viable sugestions we've had so far, to see what everyone thinks? Everyone loves a good survey

Old 21-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #60
aby arty
loving...... Kerem Beyit

Awards Showcase
@lyn maam :no no thats what i mean , we gotta make it wider.

and ur a goddess of stingies, my post was huge u said 4 lines only hmf.

a new idea : lyn mams fabled coffe is furious at her, why? oh coz she slept on her keyboard ,after drinking the cofee( the cofee considers self royality), so her cofee feels she insulted it.

we can sculpt faces in the mug ,and show a caricaturistic lin maam ,in heads down.

this ought to be the idea for scene sculpting debut , what say lyn mam

survey ?? hmm , tha kills the fun of developing new ideas dnt know, it depends how the survey , maker does it.