>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 20-04-2009, 04:42 AM   #61
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 3
Awesome looking model, drGrim. Executes on your concept very nicely; it's very true to it. It's a pretty clean model (you could certainly optimize it, but you're not worrying about that yet, so I won't complain), but very detailed. It's gonna look really cool once it's all textured and spec mapped. Can't wait!

Current 3DTotal comps: none. Learning Character Rigging, Unity.
Comments & Critiques, always appreciated

Homepage: This is Vinsanity
VinsanityV20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #62
Ichiban

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: top News Bar plug The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
It's looking sweet. great job so far. It will be kick ass at the end
Old 21-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #63
drGrim
is a Lurker

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 1
chris_solo & washka - took your advice about the barrel and played around with it. i resized and lifted the barrel up a little and give him a bigger 'base' where it integrates with the body. added supports at the rear thats attached to his err.. buttcheeks. i think it works kinda well

Puckducker - extra joint.. yeah the legs do look like it's gonna be hard to move. the movement is gonna be awkward. i'll look into that. thanks for pointing that out man

VinsanityV20 & Ichiban - thanks guys for the comments. keeps me fired up to work on it till the end

i'm trying out mudbox since last week. thinking of adding more details using that but i dont think i can learn it quickly enough. the sculpt i did came out really sloppy LOL. i think i'm better off painting the texture and use crazybump for now

well here's an update of the new proportion and barrel ^_^v

Old 30-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #64
drGrim
is a Lurker

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
still finalizing the texture. i plan to finish texturing by monday. the sooner i finish texturing and rigging the sooner i can prepare those submission stuff

omg i still have lots to do.
Old 30-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #65
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
Whooo! I like it well!
Old 30-04-2009, 04:16 PM   #66
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Coming along very nicely. I would like to see a little more battle fatigue on him. Like more scratches and or rust. I see you have some on the back leg, but maybe a little more would help sell his bad ass appearance
Old 03-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #67
VinsanityV20
Vinsane in the Membrane

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
If I could type the whistle sound that construction workers make when they're hasslin' hot girls, I would - that is one sic looking model already! The blue highlights are a great idea, and overall, even though the texture shown is simple, it is totally working since the model is so damn detailed. Awesome looking machine, just all around. Though SR 6274 has a point - I'd like to see the texture dirtied up a bit. This isn't "Dominance Showroom floor" we're competing in - this is a war; he should look like he's been in one lately He should have blood on his feet and hands from all the demons and people he's squashed At the very least, put some dirt on that texture and see what people think.

My only other criticism is simply that, whenver you put anything on a pedestal, it starts to look like a toy. I believe this thing is supposed to be massive, correct? Is there anyway you can maybe do a blacked out silhouette of a person or something, put that on an alpha map, and attach it to the base - y'know, for size reference? Well, either that or change the camera angle - a "looking up" shot always makes something look bigger, while a eye-level or worse ("looking down") always makes them look smaller.

Remember though, I love the model And yes, I realize these are still just WIP shots. Just trying to think of constructive things to say, since *drool* isn't really one of them

Current 3DTotal comps: none. Learning Character Rigging, Unity.
Comments & Critiques, always appreciated

Homepage: This is Vinsanity

Last edited by VinsanityV20; 03-05-2009 at 08:08 AM..
VinsanityV20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #68
drGrim
is a Lurker

Awards Showcase
chris_solo, SR_6274 & VinsanityV20 - thanks guys. it is so good to hear the compliments when i am freaking out praying that i have enough time to finish this :P

i'm still working on the textures right now. but i think im almost done. will post up the update soon. maybe tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #69
Ichiban

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: top News Bar plug The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Come on, you can do it. keep it up, almost there
Old 14-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #70
drGrim
is a Lurker

Awards Showcase
here's the final texture. i experimented quite a lot with the texture but they kinda look too messy. i actually finished this one yesterday but didnt get to post it here.

i'm almost done with the beauty shots. will upload asap
Old 14-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #71
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Nice job. This looks sweet. Please tell me the blue parts are going to have a little glow to them
Old 14-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #72
drGrim
is a Lurker

Awards Showcase
yeah it is supposed to glow more but i guess i overlooked that. thanks SR_6274 i'll be sure i wont forget that for the final render.
Old 14-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #73
drGrim
is a Lurker

Awards Showcase
these are my rendered beauty shots. 3 of them. now i dont know if i shoud choose 1 (which? i cant decide >_<) or make them into a single image. i dont like to do that because i realize the images will be rather small.. and messy

Old 14-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #74
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
How about a combination of them. I really like the composition of the second one, but maybe the one in the background can be shooting like in the third pic.
Old 14-05-2009, 08:09 PM   #75
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Yeah, Sr_6274 is on the right track. The lighting form the third image is really nice, I think using the lighting/shooting idea from the third image, with the pose/layout of the second image [because it shows off the model a little better] would rock.

Nice work, textures came out pretty cool. I like the scale ref on the pedestal, makes him one massive beast of a bot.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote