>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > THE Sculpting Challenge

Old 21-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
THE Sculpting Challenge 019: Zombies

Zombies

Welcome to THE Nineteenth Speed Sculpting Challenge. Whether you're new to sculpting, to the Threedy forums, or you're a seasoned veteran, come and join in on the Sculpting madness – there's plenty of fun and learning to be had by all!

The Rules:

1. The competition will run until the 8th of November 2009, 12:00 PM GMT+0 (For information about GMT click here); the time between now and then will be allocated to creating and submitting the entries, followed by several days of judging and voting for the entries – at which point the next competition should start.

2. You will be supplying your own base mesh for the competition, from which you will start sculpting. You can create your base mesh in any application ( 3dsmax, Maya, XSI, Cinema4D, Zspheres in Zbrush, etc ) using any technique, with no limits other than the number of meshes used. In this challenge, you must use only two base meshes, whatever they may be. Do not use an already made base mesh, you must build it specifically for this challenge.

3. There will be a time limit for the sculpting. Spend no longer than the allocated time limit, then post a screen-grab of your model. No cheating – we are relying on your honesty here!

4. Do not add any meshes other than those sanctioned in this competition brief.

5. You will have to supply a wireframe screenshot of your base mesh/meshes along with your final entry image ( see rule 7 ).

6. No rendering, texturing, lighting or rigging – let's keep it all about the high-res sculpt! What we are looking for is the quality of the sculpt you can produce "under pressure". If your entry is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognisable and on topic.

7. For your final entry, post a screen-grab from your software with your finished work in it, along with your screenshot of the base meshes used ( see rule 5 ). It's fine to present this stuff nicely, with nice labelling etc., but do not add any post-production to the images themselves. These images must be uploaded to our servers by using the "Manage Attachments" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external image files. Larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified.

8. You can create multiple sculpts, but you can have only one final entry for each competition.

9. Do not create your own WIP thread. Simply post all WIP screen-grabs in here and your FINAL entry in the Submissions thread.

These rules apply to everybody taking part – there will be NO exceptions!

The Prizes:

1st Place: 3 x 3DTotal products from the 3DTotal Shop. These can include our books, ebooks, texture DVDs, Shorts DVDs, training products and 12 month subscriptions to 2DArtist Magazine and 3DCreative Magazine.

2nd Place: 2 x 3DTotal products from the 3DTotal Shop (see above).

3rd Place: 1 x 3DTotal product from the 3DTotal Shop (see above).

Note: We do unfortunately have to limit prizes to 1 book per winner per challenge, due to high postage costs for heavier items. Please note that we cannot offer any non-3DTotal products as prizes, such as the Design Studio Press books, the 3D Printed models, the Anatomy Models or the Artist Busts.

Plus! don't forget the status that comes along with a 1st place Speed Sculpting Winner is always pretty cool! The award you receive is also polished and shiny.

The Brief:

Time limit: 2 hours base mesh creation + 4 hours sculpting

Start Date: 21st October 2009

Deadline: 8th November 2009, 12:00 PM GMT+0 (For information about GMT click here)

Subject: Zombies
The day of the dead is nearly upon us. That's when THEY rise from their graves and walk among us again. They go by many names, living dead, undead, but most of us know of them as zombies.

The challenge is to sculpt your very own zombie and make it as unique as possible. It can either be a gritty realistic zombie, or it can be a stylized one, as long as it is a representative of the undead. Since you can create two meshes, you could have the second mesh be a weapon ( perhaps a huge butcher knife? ), or an axe planted in your zombies head, or an accessory, etc. Be creative!

While actual texturing is not allowed, you can use two colors ( skin + blood for example ) to better define your sculpt's details.

Do read the rules carefully since I'm tweaking them with each contest to get the best user experience, so there are no misunderstandings. For other questions feel free to ask in this thread.

There are new rules for the contest ( see rules 2 and 5 ), meaning that you will be making your very own base mesh for this. In this challenge, you will be able to create two base meshes ( though you can choose to only have one ). The meshes can be anything from someone's head, body, accessory, weapon to whatever you can imagine as long as the result will be on topic. Your final character can be only a bust ( head + chest ), but full a body sculpt is highly recommended.

The time limit is now divided as follows:
- Two hours for base mesh creation;
- Four hours for sculpting;
Note, if you finish the base mesh in under two hours, the remaining time does not add to the four hours of sculpting.

That's a pretty tight deadline, so don't waste time on minor details unless you've got minutes to spare. Block your mesh out, use reference, check proportions, and keep adding details in controlled iterations, as you subdivide further toward infinity.

You have the option to sculpt a pedestal for your character, regardless if you used one or two base meshes for the sculpt. Eyes for your character are also neutral, thus not considered a second mesh.

Last edited by Freespace-3DT; 27-10-2009 at 06:53 PM..
Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
bgen
- Modonaut

Send a message via MSN to bgen
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place 
Total Awards: 7
sweet, this well be freaking awsome !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
rocneasta-3DT

Send a message via ICQ to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via MSN to rocneasta-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to rocneasta-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Silver!: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 2nd Place in the photo real challenge Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of SMC #89 Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge sms #40 Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge SMC #73 -  
Total Awards: 33
basically little time to learn how to sculpt and do the actual sculpting along side my job and freelancing but no harm in trying i guess - this surely will be a theme where we'll get to see the big guns of sculpting
rocneasta-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
rodrigoCOX

Awards Showcase
Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 1
Nice one!

Any rule about fullbody or bust?

GL all.
rodrigoCOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
bgen
- Modonaut

Send a message via MSN to bgen
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Bronze: 3rd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place 
Total Awards: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigoCOX View Post
Nice one!

Any rule about fullbody or bust?

GL all.
Your final character can be only a bust ( head + chest ), but full a body sculpt is highly recommended.
Old 21-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Shuggie

It mentions a body in the brief so I don't think we are restricted to just busts, its a cool topic so this should be a fun one.

I would say I find this base/sculpt time situation somewhat arbitrary, I thought the idea with moving this way was to give the user more freedom?

It would be better if we just had 6hrs in total and it was left to the user to decide how to manage their time, this would seem more realistic to me, and would accommodate both those who like to have an advanced base mesh and those who like to just have the bare bones base and move things along in their sculpting package.
Shuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
It mentions a body in the brief so I don't think we are restricted to just busts, its a cool topic so this should be a fun one.

I would say I find this base/sculpt time situation somewhat arbitrary, I thought the idea with moving this way was to give the user more freedom?

It would be better if we just had 6hrs in total and it was left to the user to decide how to manage their time, this would seem more realistic to me, and would accommodate both those who like to have an advanced base mesh and those who like to just have the bare bones base and move things along in their sculpting package.
Body, bust or head is fine.

I was listening to the suggestions from our suggestion thread, who wanted to have the time split in two. If this doesn't work out, rest assured I will revert to the standard timelimit for future challenges.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Old 22-10-2009, 01:22 AM   #8
lampshadehead
<B>BOLD</B>

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
This is totally awesome! I am really impressed with, and excited about, the topic. Rawr! I like the way the rules have been definred for this run too. Great job
lampshadehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #9
Darchand

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: The Circus 
Total Awards: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshadehead View Post
This is totally awesome! I am really impressed with, and excited about, the topic. Rawr! I like the way the rules have been definred for this run too. Great job
I am also excited

And I totally agree this is a brilliant topic
Old 22-10-2009, 04:51 AM   #10
gumby666

Awards Showcase
Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason:  
Yay Zombies!!!
Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!
Think I might have to rent some B-Grade flicks for inspiration!

Now which is the best Zombie flick ever?? (need a new thread for this topic!)
Braindead (Dead Alive for peoples in USA) is one of my favourites?
Some quality New Zealand splatter!!
Has one of the best movie lines ever "I kick arse for the lord!!" and some fantastic lawnmower death scenes!
Was actually made by the genius behind the Lord of the Rings films

Here's a list for others craving some BRAAAAIIIIN!! action.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_zombie_films
Attached Images

gumby666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 07:21 AM   #11
Pedro Toledo

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the sculpting challenge The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challeng  #007: 'Pirates - Past, Present & Future Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 5
Cool! I'm in

20 minutes for the basemesh and 2 hours of sculpting.

I think the next step will be to pose him, before detailing, don't want to waist time on things that won't show up at the end.
Attached Images

Manufato
Pedro Toledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #12
thee

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
zombie bump because of bot ntvinh986
nice one pedro toledo
thee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by thee View Post
zombie bump because of bot ntvinh986
That bot's a zombie now.

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Old 22-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
Oniram

Send a message via AIM to Oniram Send a message via MSN to Oniram
Awards Showcase
wow pedro.. really nice. did u use zspheres? or construct in max/maya/xsi?
Oniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #15
Pedro Toledo

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of the sculpting challenge The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of The Sculpting Challeng  #007: 'Pirates - Past, Present & Future Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 5
Thanks dude, the basemesh was done in Max.

Manufato
Pedro Toledo is offline   Reply With Quote