>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 10-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #46
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH
The idea behind no normal maps is, almost all mmo's don't use it.
MMO's generally don't use Spec Maps or Gloss Maps or any other per-pixel shading maps either.

Whatever, I'm going to do full-lit diffuse only.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:16 PM   #47
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
i think i'll wait for a oficial rule change, cause now we can talk our selfs in to total bull**** and in the end no one will know for sure what we can do and what we cant.

but at the time being some more progress. just throwing the basic shape to lay all the armor on.
Attached Images

paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #48
setschaos
Is portfolio-less

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I guess we should get to GA and clarify with Fred on a post...
setschaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #49
Imajus

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: v Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
I think you can use zbrush for certain things. If you plan on using zbrush to basically make a full rez character and bake all the info into diffuse then you're missing the point of the challenge. Just use your own judgement.

Also the sword master ebook is a good reference for this type of challenge. It's pretty old, I bought it years ago.
Imajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #50
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordero View Post
setschaos good luck

Here is the 3 different armor sets. I'm gonna mix some elements maybe, and then develop a real idea from there with different color schemes.
He will have a flag, which he can raise after owning everyone in midfield I also have the perfect weapon of choice for the dude, but I'll probably make more ideas for that too.
The designs turned out to be a bit more dynamic, and less heavy then I first wanted, but I like these a bit more.

Also, a pipe is a must have for a frog, so that I'll give to him

Which one do you like?
I definitely think he should have some some of extension to his breastplate as a chin guard . Also I like flaps on his legs as they can twirl in the air. Furthermore why not have a flag sitting strapped to his shoulder?
This would be especially good since you probably want to make him as dynamic as possible without sacrificing his heavy look nor his weapons in any positions

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #51
MarioC

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
do you guys think something like this can go???

Old 10-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #52
L3XICON
3d Artist

Send a message via MSN to L3XICON
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime style'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
looks like this will be an interesting one Seems like they want the challenge to be old school. and maybe problem is; that if people were to sculpt high res models, it would be very little difference to this challenge and the main challenge other than extra polies and texture space... 4 weeks isn't all that long and to do full high res and low res and all the stuff that comes with it would be a push.(even harder to translate ahigh poly on a 3000 tri character than a 10k+ imo)

think I ll go with just Diffuse and Spec, Interested to see how it goes in regards to no high poly to low poly bakes for AO in the diffuse. sometimes it can be nice to have some high poly stuff (like tech type stuff) in max, baked out for lighting.
L3XICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #53
NinthJake
The Ninth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool design for 3DTotal website 
Total Awards: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
MMO's generally don't use Spec Maps or Gloss Maps or any other per-pixel shading maps either.

Whatever, I'm going to do full-lit diffuse only.
Oh Buzzy you silly goose, the next-gen MMO's are going to have normal and specmaps that are over 1K resolutions and a poly count of OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAND!!!

I will probably only have a lit diffuse map as well. This might be a good time to try out Deep Paint 3D If I can get my computer to work that is

Last edited by NinthJake; 10-11-2010 at 07:15 PM..
NinthJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #54
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
Slightly updated rules from DominanceWar.com

"1024x1024 for diffuse, specular color, specular level, glow, opacity, and ambient color. Example, one 1024 diffuse sheet, one 1024 spec sheet, one 1024 Gloss sheet, etc. No Normal maps, no bump maps, no high res sculpting, No baking light info, and no painting normal maps in any fashion."
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #55
Krallis
D3

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Concept done in photoshop.
To get a rough idea of what I want and the placement and general shape sof armour etc.
Attached Images

Softimage User.

------------------------------------------------
Nadir-- FINISHED
[CENTER]
Krallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #56
Imajus

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: v Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Thanks for the update. On a side note I worked on a MMO that used normal maps and the characters were around 7k tris, but yeah this is old school.
Imajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #57
L3XICON
3d Artist

Send a message via MSN to L3XICON
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime style'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 1 st place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
also worked on a MMO with higher specs, but I guess thats not the issue I'm guessing they want a 4 week challenge to be realistic, it's more like a standard GA mini challenge where most entries don't seem to use high poly to low poly workflow.

It's going to be like the good old days. and no light baking at all? wowsa, been a while since I couldnt do that, is going to be a fun challenge
L3XICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #58
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XICON View Post
think I ll go with just Diffuse and Spec, Interested to see how it goes in regards to no high poly to low poly bakes for AO in the diffuse. sometimes it can be nice to have some high poly stuff (like tech type stuff) in max, baked out for lighting.
going by what Fred says in that post there's only a restriction on map types used which is fine by me.

A rule that said you couldn't generate a texture from a high res model would be a: ridiculous and b:impossible to enforce

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #59
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
difuse, specular, glow maps and no high res sculpting will be enough for me . it'll be fast work i see .
i have a little question. can enaybody post a link to a 3000 poly model , or just a face of that model. i want to see what poly limit should be for a face so i dont push my model too far.
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #60
gintoki

i have question so you choose between this challenge and other or you can still join both of them.
gintoki is offline   Reply With Quote