>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V

Old 29-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #46
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Total Awards: 3
Great idea, yesterday I thought I would print the screens I got so I could quickly sketch on them even at a work break, the bus, etc... but I hadn't changed the material so I'll follow your advice today.

Btw, I've got some doubts:
- I was trying to get the head shape and I was wondering, closed mouth? open mouth? I want it to be like the avatar image I pasted before in the thread. Would you just sculpt it in the final pose for details like the mouth and face expression? Morphing in Max/Maya just to get the right expression seems a bit out of scope in this challenge but I've got no previous experience so... what do you say? how much sculpting, how much traditional rig&pose?

Ref image:

Thanks!

Blog
wil_himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #47
koyima

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached 
Total Awards: 1
Both are valid and there is time to do one or the other, but locking to the expression will probably mean locking to the pose (which will always have to be dynamic and aggressive) which is a bit limiting this early on and will also hinder your ability to make some different shots if you want them.
You should have time to pose him and make an expression with morph targets-blend shapes. It will also be a test for the model and your abilities.

I would only suggest doing the expression straight on if you were really time pressured
koyima is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatkoyima! Thank you:
wil_himura (30-03-2011)
Old 29-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #48
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
I see, that would fit the purpose I joined too. I need to learn the full path in order to apply the knowledge for game development.

I'll try to look at the forums only when I'm back home hehe this is becoming an addiction!!

Blog
Old 29-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #49
paulius-st

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason:  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 16
so you want to make it in agressive pose? as koyima said - it very limiting then, and consumes precious polys . but if this doesnt worie you i would suggest you to make some morph tarhets/blend shapes you need and use when posing. if you want to sculpt the details in some expresions than in combination with your morphs/blends use a morph material with displacement or normal maps . but i would suggest you to answer to your self this wery important question - "will you be able to handle it and will you make it in time?" .
paulius-st is offline   Reply With Quote
Greatpaulius-st! Thank you:
wil_himura (30-03-2011)
Old 29-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #50
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Thanks paulius-st because that's exactly my main concern

Blog
Old 30-03-2011, 12:36 AM   #51
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Small update:

- Trying some shapes for ears.
- Started ent-ing the right hand.
- some proportion tweaking.

As usually, crits are more than welcome!

Thanks for your time pals

Blog
Old 30-03-2011, 04:00 AM   #52
Puckducker
Da blue bus is calling us

Send a message via MSN to Puckducker
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Platinum Eye: Only 1 or 2 given out per year for posting the most incredible art ever seen! - Issue reason: DW5 The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: DW5 The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 8
Liking the pointed ears, I'd say you could make the proportions of those even bigger.

Also the hands on their own look nice, but feel too small on the entire body.

Looking cool overall though, keep it up!

CURRENT WIP:
DW5-3D-Götterdämmerung -Puckducker

LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT:
DWIV - 3D - Puckducker - Dark Matter
Puckducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 05:59 AM   #53
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Getting better each time. I think the ears work. You might play with their size as Puck suggested.

I think Puck's right, the hands look pretty good, but they're looking a bit small compared to the body. Also, the palm could use a little more shape, particularly around where the thumb joins the hand. [If there's one thing I've come to make note of, its that the palm can always use a little more shape, the palm is never right until you've over done it.]

Also, watch her eye sockets, you've carved those in quite large and rather deep. I assume once you get to working on the eyes, you'll fill a lot of that back out, but I thought I'd make a note of it.

You know, after looking at it again tonight, I'm kinda of the mind you could still pull her torso down a bit more. Also, maybe shorten the length of the horse bit a little as well. I'm thinking something like this...

...unless you really want to push the long and lean look like the girrafe-tuar, then disregard the notion of shortening anything. Its up to you, depends on the look/feel you're going for, and its something you can always tweak later if you change your mind, or even in your low poly once its all baked.

Don't suppose you've considered giving her one ent hand, and one rock hand? I know its a little cliche but it might be worth thinking about at anyway.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatWarlock 279! Thank you:
wil_himura (30-03-2011)
Old 30-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #54
Pockets
The Common Karl

I was actually also going to comment on the eye sockets but warlock beat me too it. I'd suggest you get the eyes in pretty soon, because they give a good measure of proportions for the face, without em it can be hard to tell sometimes.
Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #55
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Thanks a lot, I'm glad to see that you like the fixes I'm doing although they come like one small fix per day.

Warlock 279, Pockets, Puckducker - The hands' palm needs some tweaking Since I'm working on the ent one right now (hard to decide when to disable symetry ffs) the human one will have to wait. Good point, it's on my TODO list ^^. About their size, I'll try out at 115% of the size, I don't want a big handed girl either. And I realized that the horse body makes everything else small in comparisson hehehe

Pulling down the torso causes the female body to look a bit incomplete. Lemme explain myself, it looks good when I pull it down, general silouette is somehow more proportionally correct but the oblique muscles look weird that way and make the problem link directly with the half-horse proportions

Right now I'm going with ent, rock maybe ice, fire hair etc because my eyes will explode if I look at the joint for one more second Tomorrow I might come back to play with it a bit more and I hope I can meet all my expectations: Pulling down the torso, get an stylized horse body for the female characteristics and make it look perfect. Hopefully, I won't need too much detail there, just some alphas and a nice texture transition. So I need to focus on the rest of the model asap. Although I already like how it looks, I agree playing a lil more with it won't hurt, and tomorrow ppl usually don't like what seemed perfect the day before you know

Following some sculpting workflows, they usually start by getting good crane proportions, I'll fill the gap. My intention: It's a cute girl, a cute natural girl.

I might make ears bigger, I'm lacking some geometry there tho, at least at the subd level I'm right now. I hope my comp can handle one more level Any tip on how to get more geometry there?

Thanks a lot for the crits and tips guys, you're really helping me out a lot. I don't know if I look new to CG or not, but I am. I've spent long hours reading 3dtotal and some other websites for the past 6 years more or less but I've always failed at turning theory into practice hehe electric guitar, iOS development, consultant full time job... I need more time!!!!

Blog
Old 30-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #56
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
I found a way to do this. I'll have to retopo my model later on. I can leave the detailing of the ear to the point when I'm doing the retopology, trying to add more geometry to the ear at that time. Then I can finish the details I couldn't achieve before. What do you say?

Thanks!

Blog
Old 30-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #57
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
For getting more detail, and pushing to higher sub-d levels there should be a way to hide parts of your mesh, I'm not familiar enough with zbrush to be able to tell you how to do that tho.

As far as retopo'ing to add more geometry for better definition in one area or another, do what you gotta do! Nothing wrong with doing that half a dozen times and continuing to refine it, as long you're getting a decent projection of the detail from the old mesh to the new mesh.

That horse/human transition is gonna be probably the hardest part of the whole model, there's not really any natural existing creature to reference, so you're stuck with your imagination and what other people before you have done. I'm sure you have a collection of reference images already, and it might be worth studying those again just focusing on how other made the transition, maybe run another Google search see if you can't turn up any new ref or pop in a movie, I think the first Narnia movie had decent centaurs.

Don't worry, this stuff takes time, just keep picking at it one little problem at a time, and it'll come together.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #58
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Thanks a lot Warlock 279, Narnia centaurs rock. You can see them in almost half of the movie hehe

I pulled down the torso, reviewd horse part proportion, made it slightly smaller to keep a good width-height ratio.

I'll show my progress tonight (GMT +1 :P), I think I've got a decent start with the ent shapes in her arm.

We'll see!

Blog
Old 31-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #59
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Hi, just sketched the hair. I want it to be fire... if I find many technical difficulties, it will be something else ^^

Also sketched some horns, just major shapes.

I'll decide between one of them, a combination of them or ... none of them but a new one instead ^^

Blog
Old 31-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #60
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Total Awards: 6
H3 , fh1

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote