>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Atomhawk Challenge (Sponsored by Wacom)

Old 27-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
Mr. Reedux
Professionally Casual

ATOMHAWK 2D - Super Hawk - Mr. Reedux

I've got tons of thumbs in my sketchbook, gonna see if I can get a picture of the page.

Here's a quick sketch, I really liked the face and gaze so I'm experimenting with this quite a bit.

Hawk always strikes me as a name for a Scientist.
Name:  atomhawk_sketch2.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  107.5 KB

Last edited by Mr. Reedux; 30-03-2011 at 03:42 AM..
Mr. Reedux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Mr. Reedux
Professionally Casual

Atomhawk is obviously a super hero
Don't like the mean dudes face but that's easy to fix.
Name:  atomhawk_sketch3.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  104.5 KB
Old 28-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
Mr. Reedux
Professionally Casual

I really like the comp on the previous one with our hero to the right and some baddy on the left...
But this one is just so simple and stylish. Hmm :|

Name:  atomhawk_sketch4.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  115.8 KB
Old 28-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
BradMan

Love your natural sketching ability.

My advice...Try dropping your main character lower in the layout while bringin the evil eyes up to fill top space, so you could play on the focal atom superhero which then leads up to the eyes...
BradMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
Mr. Reedux
Professionally Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMan View Post
Love your natural sketching ability.

My advice...Try dropping your main character lower in the layout while bringin the evil eyes up to fill top space, so you could play on the focal atom superhero which then leads up to the eyes...
Haha, "natural". Thanks

I took your advice and lowered the main character, but only a little bit.
I tried many variations of shrinking from the example above to a full body shot with the eyes still above him. It made it seem more and more like the eyes was the focus point of the image rather than our hero. It also made him seem small and weak. Not the image I want for our hero!

I'm still sketching on some other ideas but unless I can find something I like better, this will be the one I take to finish.

Infact, I have an idea of switching places of them. Hero being the big eyes and evil person dude being the smaller character
Old 29-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
elgama

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! 
Total Awards: 2
keep up, my only advice would be a little more of negative space on the sides and top, just a little more room to breath, but ei..im a negative space fan so...

gl
elgama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 03:38 AM   #7
Mr. Reedux
Professionally Casual

elgama, I totally agree with you. Posters, if anything, are based on negative spaces and simple compositions.

I really like the brighter one here. Guess it's time to start thinking about the title design.
Name:  atomhawk_sketch6.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  95.4 KBName:  atomhawk_sketch7.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  93.8 KB
Old 30-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
Mr. Reedux
Professionally Casual

I was already pretty sure about the design from the earlier sketches but took a few minutes to try some ideas. I came up with a second candidate which, if this was a game could be an unlock or upgraded suit. In a movie, perhaps to save the day he needs the added functions of the suit.
Name:  costume thumb.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  47.1 KB
Old 30-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
vnmribaya

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Won on speed painting challanges no. 75 ''Deep Sea Creature'' Digital Painting - Gold: Winner of a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: Lost Jungle Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge 'scary!' Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge No.76 ''The Aliens Are Coming'' 
Total Awards: 8
nice concepts man, looking forward for more updates
vnmribaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 01:58 AM   #10
throne
Problem ?

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
So much potential in there, keep going.
throne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #11
BradMan

It's looking really good. I love the last option you posted.

on colour. If you get that right it would be awesome. I suggest colder/cooler colour for the background with warmer colours on the main character. If you could foreshorten your right hand and together with your atom enlarge it, it would add more dynanism...just a thought
BradMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #12
Mr. Reedux
Professionally Casual

Thanks a lot for your advice, I promise you I will try as many variations as possible

I'm also going to try and record some of the process, depends a bit on how stable it is though :x

Currently redrawing it in the right dimensions.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
migroe

very nice style, can't wait to see it coloured! i prefer the right caracter - he looks like a superhero and that fits perfect
migroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
Mr. Reedux
Professionally Casual

Hey hey hi whazzup!

Cheers migroe, It's the design I'm going with
I've started to paint over the sketch, basically I resized the sketch to 4000ish pixels height and traced over it.

I am -really- unsure about the colours cause I -really- like it sort of monochromatic.
Here's where I'm at now. Also, I don't know if I'm overdoing it or not but I'm trying to mirror hawk like shapes in the guys face, check the overlay to see what I mean.

Ideas about the wings are also greatly appreciated as I find them quite stale at the moment, but giving them a more detailed silhouette has proven to be worse :/
I also flipped the text cause the hero is facing left so I thought it would be better compositionally since we read to the right.
Name:  atomhawk_sketch9.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  159.4 KBName:  atomhawk_sketch9-overlay.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  60.0 KB

Last edited by Mr. Reedux; 02-04-2011 at 10:30 PM..
Old 02-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #15
RogerP
Your Cuban Daddy

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Sculpting Challenge - Gold: Winner of The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 7
looking good, loving the character.

SKETCHES & WIPs
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote