>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > 3D - 'Work In Progress - Organic models/scenes'

Old 16-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
TekNeek
Wait, whut?

Send a message via MSN to TekNeek
Beginner Modelers - Check this out!

Welcome to Threedy!.

First, to select the "best" software. There isn't one. The fundamental rules in 3D do not change between packages, and basically, choosing between is a personal preference. Or when you will land a job, what programs is used in the pipeline.

"I would suggest you just pick an app and learn it. Max or Maya or Cinema4D, whatever, they all are fully capable of doing anything equally well. Just pick one and learn it. Which ever one you choose will become the one you like." -Buzzy.

Here are trials for:

--3DS Max -- : --Maya-- : --Softimage-- : -- Cinema4D-- : --Lightwave -- : --Silo-- (which is for modelling only though) : --Blender-- (which is free)

Just pick one and get going. It's seldom question about the tool, is more a question about the artist.

Now, what you have to do is study anatomy and get the fundamental understanding of topology. I recommend reading this thread. I also recommend checking out Ben Mathis's tutorials especially the Delilah and Gahn Eysh video tuts (he's awesome explaining the hows and the whys of modelling.. oh and excuse the lewd link, i promise this is safe).

As for inorganic modelling, what I recommend most is Sathe's video tutorials.

And speaking of which, here are very good --video explanations-- of the fundamentals and foundations of the world of 3D, thanks to NinthJake.

Now.. also what you should do is open up a sketchbook in the either organic or inorganic section of these forums, where you post your models and wireframes so we can comment and give you advices.

The Joan of Arc tutorial's a classic, though, study it, get the understanding of character modelling, but use them techniques on your own character afterwards.

3dtotal's tutorial section has very indepth tutorials

As for sculpting (note, a sculpture and a model is -not- the same), you've basically got 4 choices.

--ZBrush-- : --Mudbox-- : --3d Coat-- : --Sculptris-- (which is free!!).

Each has it pros and cons, and since I'm very very biased, and to each is own, I won't recommend any over other.

But, to get started with ZBrush, check out --this tutorial-- (note, it's a bit old and some of the buttons may have changed places, but the basis is the same)

To get started with Mudbox, check out --this-- and --this--

To get started with 3D Coat, check --these-- and especially --this video--
out.
To get started with Sculptris, check --this out-- .. or just.. press the space button and fiddle around.

I also --highly-- recommend you checking out and listening to --this video-- on sculpting the face.

Also, youtube's got real good speed modelling and sculpting videos and tutorials, all you've got to do is search.

Experimenting is key!

--use references--

Google is your friend!

If your Mom says it's cool, it isn't!. Listen to peoples advice, we bother 'cause we care.

This isn't easy and this isn't given dude, so get crackin', but this is fun and immensely rewarding!

When you've finally pull yourself through blood, sweat and tears after many a sleepless night,and feel confident enough to go and apply for a job at a CG studio armed with a presentable Demo Reel, you could check you CG Studio Map finder.

--Showreel--

Last edited by TekNeek; 07-02-2012 at 09:46 AM..
TekNeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
TekNeek
Wait, whut?

I encourage other forum members to post other findings and/or advice, to post them in this thread. The idea behind this thread is having it similar to the Topology thread

--Showreel--
Old 16-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Good initiative man!

For Mudbox I would recommend: www.mudboxhub.com. This is a site that is dedicated to Mudbox and its usage, and it is independent, so it is all from the users. There you can find loads of free vids including Wayne Robson's quickstart videos.

Furthermore I would push for asking forum members for tips and tricks as well as general help, but do try to find the solution first, don't ask for precisely everything . The challenges on the forum, and other forums, are also a good way to go. You don't have to be a pro to compete and everyone who visits the thread will see your work and will hopefully give you advice.

Books are also good if you are starting out in any dicipline, though at the absolutely initial stages it might be worth looking around the web first. There are a number of different books out there, all covering different topics from different angles, thus it might be a bit daunting to pick one but you just have to check the reviews and compare it to what you are interested in. The books can also be of great help as they usually cover everything in the process and you can use them at any time of your work as a reference. For finding and purchasing you can look into www.amazon.com as well as the 3dTotal shop.

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
Freespace-3DT
Commando Moderator

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: Continued service to the threedy community throughout! Very well deserved. Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For coming up with a cool logo suggestion! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For winning second place in the SMC Mix Me Up One More Time. 
Total Awards: 10
Excellent idea! Stickied this so everyone gets to see it.

Everyone feel free to add to this thread, so that it may become a valuable resource for this community!

StarCraft: Final Metamorphosis (Final 7.5 Minute CG Animation)

Speed Factor 2 (23-NOV-2010)

Demo Reel 2010 (1-OCT-2010)

StarCraft: First Contact (08-JUL-2009)

Freespace-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatFreespace-3DT! Thank you:
TekNeek (16-06-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 02:02 AM   #5
Neil_F01
Neil_01

Send a message via MSN to Neil_F01
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in speed painting challenge Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #61 -  
Total Awards: 9
you know those links to the tutorials dont work very well... i'm assuming you were trying to link them to the right place on the site... but for some reason it stacks and then just dumps on the front end of the 3dt page..

but its a cool idea never the less..
Neil_F01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #6
TekNeek
Wait, whut?

Thanks for the head up dude.

It was just linked just onto 3DTotal's homepage, since there isn't a one Tutorial page, but package specific ones.

I changed it now so it links to the Project Overview page.

--Showreel--
Old 11-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
RHedendahl

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: creating the topology resource thread! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Mug Shot 
Total Awards: 3
Thats my new background image, thx for that . Also if someone links something good, you should add it to the first post. Good work.

Last edited by RHedendahl; 11-07-2011 at 11:07 AM..
RHedendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
TekNeek
Wait, whut?

Yeah! But if any people find good stuff, they should just post it here.

I think having everything in the first post, it'd end up as a huge clusterf**k and make people less likely to rea through it.

Oh, and that image's been my background for ages

--Showreel--
Old 11-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
Nice thread!

Quote:
The best thing you could do it try out all the trials of the Autodesk software and see which suits you best
I would have to respectfully disagree with this. If you are new to 3d, you really have no basis for comparison, so its nearly impossible to judge whether you like Max or Maya in a mere 30-day trial period. It will take you 30 days to just figure out how to model a simple shape, let alone develop any sort of preference for tools and workflow.

Rather, I would suggest you just pick an app and learn it. Max or Maya or 4D, whatever, they all are fully capable of doing anything equally well. Just pick one and learn it. Which ever one you choose will become the one you like.
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
GreatBuzzy! Thank you:
TekNeek (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
The Prime
Registered Abuser

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
My words of advice for noobs,

START SMALL!!

So many people make a few very simple models, and then say "right now I'm going to do a character with massive guns, giant wings and a horned tail" before they've so much as mastered something simple, like a barrel.

If you try to make something complicated and fail, you will just become disheartened.

Start small, and build up gradually, being an artist isn't about 'leaps and bounds', it's more akin to dragging yourself through a marathon.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
The Prime
Registered Abuser

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
nice thread!

I would have to respectfully disagree with this. If you are new to 3d, you really have no basis for comparison, so its nearly impossible to judge whether you like max or maya in a mere 30-day trial period. It will take you 30 days to just figure out how to model a simple shape, let alone develop any sort of preference for tools and workflow.

Rather, i would suggest you just pick an app and learn it. Max or maya or 4d, whatever, they all are fully capable of doing anything equally well. Just pick one and learn it. Which ever one you choose will become the one you like.
+1
Old 11-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prime View Post
My words of advice for noobs,

START SMALL!!

So many people make a few very simple models, and then say "right now I'm going to do a character with massive guns, giant wings and a horned tail" before they've so much as mastered something simple, like a barrel.

If you try to make something complicated and fail, you will just become disheartened.

Start small, and build up gradually, being an artist isn't about 'leaps and bounds', it's more akin to dragging yourself through a marathon.
Definitely agree with this. My advice is usually to start with something familiar that you can see right in front of you. That way you have the perfect reference making it easier to see where you have gone wrong with your model. Once you have made the first model you will have made mistakes and hopefully learned from them, or at least started thinking about different ways you can make the same thing. When you get to this point try making the same object again but using what you learned from your first attempt and also trying different methods until you find a method that works well for you. Once you have made the same object a few times you should be getting comfortable with the application you chose and also you should be getting more familiar with working in three dimensions, so now you can start experimenting with other objects

Basically it's like learning to draw well; repetition leads to improvement and practicing the basics is a must until they become second nature.

Also, remember to take frequent breaks. Often you will get frustrated with a part of a model, so walk away, do something else for a bit and come back to the problem with fresh eyes

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #13
TekNeek
Wait, whut?

@Buzzy: Cpt Hindsight here: Yes, I second this. The point I was trying to make was that there is no "best" program. But of course, like you said, when you're starting out, you're more figuring out what's what instead of where what is.

This was a ill thought statement

Changing the post

--Showreel--
Old 11-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
The Prime
Registered Abuser

Awards Showcase
From experience, I'd say 3D Studio Max has the most intuitive user interface, and the most straight forward. It's strength is that it is quite simple, yet powerful.

Maya is still the best in my opinion, though I've only used Max and Maya professionally. Tried the rest (and I do mean tried) and have gotten stuck in my ways. No doubt my next job will need me to use Lightwave :|

edit: Instead of deleting this, I should say that this isn't part of starting an argument about which is best, just trying to pass on my advice when it comes to choosing a starting point.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
TekNeek
Wait, whut?

I agree. Max's interface and workflow is a lot more friendly and common sense than in Maya.

Also, I think almost everybody on Threedy has a solid background with Max, so it'll be easier getting help in the help section.

--Showreel--