>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > The Creative Ones > Realtime/Low poly art

Old 24-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Send a message via ICQ to Zlatovous Send a message via MSN to Zlatovous
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Hybrid'' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.058 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! SMCs 69 - Wish you were here Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For second place in speedmodeling ''Pimp my sleigh'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge No.059 
Total Awards: 7
Low-poly challenge thread, everyone welcomed

Hello,

we put this thread together with Perversonality, to have a separate place for our mini challenges, so everyone else can join too.

So what is going on? This challenges will be quite short compared to threedy ones - each challenge will last maximum one week, then moving onto next topic. Topics will be quite simple, yet, I hope, interesting. Since there is already a character challenge every month, we will be mainly focusing on props or some basic characters. This challenge thread is mainly for practice. So if you are greenhorn, be welcomed as well as if you are a pro industry wanderer. All you need is an effort to actually be able finishing the models in time.

So, no more talking, let it roll!
Old 24-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Hybrid'' Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.058 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! SMCs 69 - Wish you were here Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: For second place in speedmodeling ''Pimp my sleigh'' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge No.059 
Topic: Drones

Details: Drones were originally pilotless airplanes, but today it's any vehicle without pilot sitting inside. It can be driven by remote control (think of tactical scout drones used in Iraq these days) or equipped with AI, thus controlling itself (think of R2 - D2). It can be multifunctional or with one spec (scout, assault, defensive, utility, you name it). It can be fyling, on wheels, tracks, swimming, as you wish. Can be sci-fi, fantasy, stylized, existing, everything, just everything, there are no restrictions

Restrictions: Really, there are none. Well...

Tris, textures, etc:
maximum limit of 1000 tris
1024x1024 - any maps, diffuse, spec, normal, AO, glow, what you want.

Dead line:
28 of February, midnight

I guess there is no need to make special thread for our challenge, so just post all ref, wips, finals, etc. to our own threads and then just link for finals here (hope you don't mind perversonality. If so, I can move the whole challenge into my thread)
Old 24-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Awards Showcase
And here is something to start up.

Finished hi-poly (both packed and unpacked) and starting of the low-poly version. I am actually sitting at 192 tris, with leg having 46 tris (my budget for each limb is 200 top, so I am doing quite well). Going to post finished low-poly before going to bed
Attached Images

Old 24-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Total Awards: 8
I'll probably mostly be posting in my own thread and saving this one for the major updates so this doesn't get flooded with small updates! Here's where I am right now with my second idea. It's exactly 1000 tris

My physical model shop: Buy my crap
Perversonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland 
Total Awards: 4
Zlat you totally need to add a Deceptacon or Autobot symbol to yours.
dhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 05:32 AM   #6
dhin
Soy un Perdedor, baby

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland 
Total Awards: 4
Oh-kay here is my rough pass on the mesh.
Attached Images

dhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Awards Showcase
Whoo, we are sticky now!

Perversonality: I like the curves, fresh design. Can't wait to see it textured

dhin: Maybe I will :-) Fine idea

I like your drone, it has a lot of personality thanks to the monitor-face. Hope you can preserve that in your low-poly version :-)

My low-poly version is done entirely, going for unwrapping and some minor texturing today (I will not have much time today, will get home late tonight)
Old 26-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Awards Showcase
Finally unwrapped my drone. Took me quite long, but I think it was worth it. Goin g to library now, will continue with texturing once I return.

Hope to see updates soon from you guys :-) Work week is at the end, a lot of time ahead
Attached Images

Old 26-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Awards Showcase
So, update. I spent like four hours unwrapping, setting projection modifier, matching low-poly to hi-poly, test baking, redoing, test baking... Uah, I was almost insane and still the normals didn't came out as well as I wanted. But devil take it, I am not returning back to fix it. Will fix it in photoshop when I wake up.

I putted up some very rough textures, just to see how it works. And it works pretty well :-) This stage is very early, so don't worry, it will change later tommorow

Only diffuse and normal map
Attached Images

Old 27-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #10
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Bronze!: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: 3rd Place in the photo real challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: or Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge '035 - Turn On & Tune In' 
Looking good guys. I'll be working on mine today though I've got the mother of all hangovers! Expect updates

Old 27-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Started texturing, though there's still a long way to go...

Currently I'm using diffuse, normal, spec and a self-illumination/glow map which means that I can't get the same effect in Marmoset as I can't find a way to use glow maps, so the image is a capture from the Max viewport with two omnis which are slightly behind the model

Old 27-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Awards Showcase
Nice start on the textures. Are you going for little retro feeling or it just look it this way right now? Looking forward for next updates and wish you luck with the hangover :-)

Here is my update. Fixed most of the normal maps and dirtied the main barrel. Will finish it before this day ends.
Attached Images

Old 27-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Looking good! Does that capture have the normal map applied as it looks a little flat to me right now?

I'm definitely going for a retro look with this one. I was going to steam punk it, but the shape wasn't ideal for lots of metal and bolts so this seemed like the most appropriate compromise

Old 27-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #14
Perversonality
Nick/Spud/Spudmonkey

Awards Showcase
Thinking I'm about done on this one, though there's still some tweaking I might do to make it more interesting

Old 27-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #15
Zlatovous
The Vousiest

Awards Showcase
Your drone came out really nice, it's very stylish. Just curious, what is its purpose?

When you are done, could you please show also textures sheet? I forgot to mention it in the original post

And as far as the normal maps on my drone are concerned... They are there and working very well on certain areas (gaps between wooden plates, metal parts of the leg), but it's almost invisible at the metal part holding wooden plates together. Will try to look onto that. I hope AO will help also