>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > THE OLD THREEDY CHALLENGE FORUMS > Speed Modelling Challenge

Old 17-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 9
The SMC's - #65 - "Mowed Down"

The Challenge Rules

1). Each challenge we'll post a subject for you to model along with a time limit on how long you should spend on it. Spend no longer than the allocated time then post a render of your model. No cheating, we are relying on your honesty here and the idea of speed modeling is to simulate a "real world" environment. If you are working on a project and asked to show a concept model you'll need to be able to get somewhere near the target in the allocated time. Your submission should be a model created especially for this challenge and not one you have stored on your hard drive. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what we have asked for. Any images of models that do not match the brief can be removed and the poster disqualified.

2). You may enter as many times as you like as long as each model is completely new and uses no components from other entries. Entries using models which are not original will be removed and the poster disqualified.

3). Your entry may contain as many views of your model as you like but it must include a clear and easy to see wire frame of the mesh before any smoothing/subdivision has been applied. Please use a screen grab. No other method is acceptable and any "wire renders" or wireframes we can't see properly will be removed and the poster disqualified.

4). You must include the following details with each submission: software used and time spent creating the model. Any further information is voluntary but posts not containing the required information can be removed and the poster disqualified.

5). Post only one image submission per entry which must be no larger than 1024x768 pixels in either landscape or portrait format with a file size of no more than 195k. These images must be uploaded to our servers using the "browse" button on the forum reply page. Do not link to external images files. Images larger than the maximum size or posts containing links to external images (other than for reference materials) will be removed and the poster disqualified.

6). The creation of displacement maps, normal maps and any splines drawn out in an external program other than your modeling software are to be included in your modeling time.

7). Time spent on rendering or texturing or building a scene in which to display your model is not included in the allocated period to allow those with slower machines to participate on an even playing field. What we are looking for is the quality of the models you can produce "under pressure". If your model is not complete, you can still post as long as it's recognizable.

8). Posting the same entry twice in a challenge is considered to be double posting and will result in a disqualification. When asked to fix a previous post due to DQ or any other reason, you must fix the first post, or delete it altogether and create a new one.

9). The Winner must email jo@3dtotal.com to claim their prize.

10). Only 1st place can claim a prize.

These rules apply to everybody taking part there will be NO exceptions!

Subject: Lawn Mowers.
Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday June 24th 2009.
Deadline Counter:

Description: Lawn Mowers/Strimmers - We want electrical/gas/fuel/steam powered lawn mowers. Strimmers are also allowed, something to cut that overgrown grass.
Modelling Time: 120 Mins.

Have Fun and Good Luck!

Starters:

I know I know it's looks like a Go Kart, but the next entry will be better I hope lol.
Twitter

Last edited by ClassicGamer-3DT; 17-06-2009 at 11:44 PM..
ClassicGamer-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ClassicGamer-3DT Send a message via Yahoo to ClassicGamer-3DT
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Platinum: Contributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts - Issue reason: ontributing to the forums with 5,000+ posts. Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Because Tom plastered my ugly face promoting the new navy look 3DTotal T-Shirt Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
OK this is another 120 mins challenge guys, only 1 week though so there's plenty of time to get those entries out and in before next weeks deadline. You can even Steampunk a lawn mower!

Good Luck to all who enter.

Kind Regards

CG.
Twitter
Old 17-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
Varsh

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
This one looks interesting, don't think many people will atempt a drivable one though.
Varsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
........he he I have
Twitter
Old 17-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #5
Varsh

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
You've managed one in 2 hours? Can't wait to see this then.
Varsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
....don't worry it's crap lol.
Twitter
Old 17-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
mr_lemon
Continue?...9..8..7..

Send a message via MSN to mr_lemon Send a message via Yahoo to mr_lemon
Awards Showcase
Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
if we are talking about your "crap" then i want a pile of this

----- Some of my previous post to speed modelling challenge -----

Finally the final :

http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=56459

My Gallery:

http://positivedope.deviantart.com/gallery/
mr_lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #8
ClassicGamer-3DT
Reliable Moderator

Awards Showcase
no no no and no..........trust me it is awful, I had too much client work and had to knock this one up from the top of my head very quickly and spent far too much time on the wheels lol. I will definately without a doubt be doing another totally different entry to make up for this shoddy starter. It'll be shaded aswell because I just want it rendered. Then I'll start on entry #02

CG.
Twitter
Old 18-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
Rachel vd M
Rachèl van der Meer

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Photo-Real modelling - Gold!: Best model in the photo real challenge - Issue reason: Best model in the photo real challenge  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  SMC 72  Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge SMC 74 for making a camera Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge  #68  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: nd place in a speed modelling challenge #66 -  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge #68  Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''pirates'' 
Total Awards: 16
haha niiiice subject
sadly i was too busy to make a console, i hope i can enter for this one,
i might make some alternative lawnmower
Rachel vd M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 09:51 AM   #10
DaddyDoom
has them big as mellons!

Send a message via MSN to DaddyDoom
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For all your help and support and inspiring words. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in BULL challenge! Stylized Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: Second places in EXECUTIONER challenge Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in Swimming Dinosaur challenge Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge  Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge # 031 ''Is it safe? '' Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd Place in The SMC's - #67 - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Speed Modelling - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed modelling challenge ''Is your thumb gre 
Total Awards: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicGamer-3DT View Post
no no no and no..........trust me it is awful, I had too much client work...
Finnaly mate! Good luck on that, and may it be the beginning of a tidal wave of work!

All the best
DD
Old 18-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
liquidbear

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: i won second in the heat is on speed moddeling 
Total Awards: 2
im in this one

DOM WAR THREAD PLEASE SUPPORT
http://forums.3dtotal.com/showthread.php?t=82649

THE MORE SUPPORT I GET THE MORE THE BANANA DANCES
liquidbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #12
Pine
Beginer

Bad my NDS accelerator data was out of date, I lost this forums for several months.

CG, for easy found image reference of Lawn Movers, how about to add this link on first post? And same kind of this link on future SMC?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...h+Images&gbv=2
Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #13
deadfish

ahhh i really wanted to get involved in last weeks challenge, but didnt have the time! hopefully i'll model something for this one

oh yeah (shameless plug! lol) check out my animation project which i've entered into the virgin media shorts competition
http://www.virginmediashorts.co.uk/f...lephant-jokes/
deadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
Barks
Embrace the Evil

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in SMC  
Awesome topic. I'll be churning out something for this one for sure.
Old 19-06-2009, 04:12 AM   #15
Barks
Embrace the Evil

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in SMC  
Alright, let's get this party started. Here's my first one. Old-fashioned push mower.

Time: 42 mins
Maya 2009
Maxwell 1.7
Photoshop CS4
Attached Images

Last edited by Barks; 22-06-2009 at 05:20 PM..
Barks is offline   Reply With Quote