>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Game Art Challenge

Old 24-06-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Total Awards: 3
Wil_himura - Battle Chess

I might join :P Although I dunno if I'll be able to finish, it's a great challenge where I can learn a lot for sure!

Regards and good luck!

This is just the begining, I don't know where will this end up, just sketching ^^

Blog

Last edited by wil_himura; 24-06-2011 at 02:16 AM..
wil_himura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 02:38 AM   #2
Pablo Ferro
Because that´s my name.

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 2
What piece?
Old 24-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Stylized Challenge - Bronze: 3rd place in a stylized challenge! - Issue reason: dragons 
Still have to decide if I'll go for the pawn or the rook

Thanks!!

Blog
Old 24-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
snakeeaterjns

Cool start.

Game art competition - Battle Chess
snakeeaterjns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
That'd be a mighty hefty looking pawn, looks much more suited to a rook. I reckon the hands could stand to be a little bigger to better fit with the proportions of the upper body. Nice start.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #6
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Some face sketching.

Blog
Old 27-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Hi again!

since the challenge is about inspiring fear among the other chess pieces, I'll stick to my original idea of a combat pawn specialized in short range combat

I'm planning to play a bit with UDK and this may serve future purposes aswell.

Color test(just for a proper sketching wf):

My other idea was to put the upper half of the body inside some kind of tank and make it a Rook. But I'll do a nice pose with a combat knife, put a lot of complements on and focus on a high quality low poly model. That plan fits better my learning curve aswell. I'll have more chances of doing big stuff later.

Evenmore... looking at the high level on this forums, winning is out of scope, so focusing on learning isn't a bad idea

Blog

Last edited by wil_himura; 28-06-2011 at 01:34 AM..
Old 28-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Nice progress, I like your thoughts on this as well .

I think you should care with making the face to flat, unless you of course want to keep it stylized, but even then it might be a good idea.

Also regarding his clothes I think you should work in some more stylized, broad detail to really make it pop as a model. Have a look at Battlefield Heroes or something for inspiration

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Thanks a lot Hulahuga,

This is the detail level I'd like to achieve with this model:

I love this image aswell:

I'm want to sketch all the diff pieces before remeshing the model. But I plan to start drawing flows tomorrow!! hehe Quite a tight schedule tho...

Thanks again!!

Blog
Old 28-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
I keep on defining major forms

Blog
Old 29-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #11
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I think the military helmet should have a rim along the edge, but other than that it's good.
AlucardAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #12
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
AlucardAssassin - Yeah, it will have details on the helmeet, I can't decide between two diff helmet models, I'll ask here for your opinions when it's helmet time hehe

Right now I'm remeshing the body... I hate this part....

Blog
Old 29-06-2011, 11:47 PM   #13
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
I feel your pain man...worst part of modeling, hands down. Good luck anyway though!
AlucardAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #14
Kaiune3D
Available for freelance

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: old school challenge Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: evolution Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: good vs evil Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Avenger Mash Up Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: mount up 
Total Awards: 8
I have had some luck with the re mesh option in zbrush. You'll still have to do some topo work but it certainly helps with starting in z rather than modeling software.
Kaiune3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #15
wil_himura
Noobie

Awards Showcase
Only hands left!!!!

Please take a look at the topology and tell me what you think. This model is gonna be animated (at least i'll try to animate it!! hehe).
The back needs some adjustments and also the abs, but I won't spend much time on it. Those parts won`t be visible anyways.

Thanks!!

Blog

Last edited by wil_himura; 01-07-2011 at 12:46 AM..