>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Challenges! Massive Monthly Competitions! > Game Art Challenge

Old 13-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Send a message via MSN to tsabszy
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 2
tsabszy - Battle Chess

thought i'd join, sounds like a nice competition..
my idea is simple, i just would like to practice a little since recently i have to create only diffuse hand drawn textures and i haven't touched zbrush for almost 3 months from now so it's time to find out if i still remember something.

i was thinking to make a king, or a queen figure. nothing special about it. queen would dominate with boobs, king would dominate with wisdom...

theese were my initial thoughts, but after i have sketched a bit i feel like going for the king, coz i won't have much spare time, and that's the easier choise
tsabszy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
since noone seems to create only portrait figures, maybe my figure is gonna be dominated but creating a portrait figure instead of a character with full body will help me assuring i'll finish the contest
so here are the sketching, i don't draw pretty but it'll do to get the feeling out from my brain
in the end it's gonna be a little figure sculpted out of bone (maybe some gems, but i don't wanna put painting on it basicly)
the style i hope is going to be more real at the end, or kinda like starcraft 2 in-game cinematics that i love so much and wich is not just real but a bit idealized style
(i mean this:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/57...4999D694853D4/ )

or at least that's what i'm aiming at..

good luck and work for everyone
Old 13-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Lookin' good! Can't wait to see the sculpt of this!
AlucardAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 6
old dude is old!

love these two, especially that they are very chess figure like!
Old 17-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
AlucardAssassin thx, i know it's nothing special but at least i can finally sculpt something :P
Cordero yeah, very old.. it's only scetching though so i hope the final face will look much more expressive, wise and king like, not just old.. but we'll see
Old 17-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
started with the model, just to show some progress where i am now..

Old 17-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Cordero

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For contributions to 3DTotal and the 3DTotal forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
oh well, you are one fast *******

I totally like it! What do you think, can u put a neckalce in there? just trying to say something other than "awesome"
Old 17-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
thx but it's only a basic sculpt of some stereotipe king face.. and yet his face look more like he could cold heartidly send his men wave after wave till he run out of all.. rather then a wise king.. i hope i can find the balance between a "know what to do" kinda wise look, and a strong emperor at the same time.. since he has only a face, the expression is important

i was thinking on some jewelry, like necklace and hanging stuff off the crown, or braided mustage or something.. i'll see while detailing if it suits to him or not

Last edited by tsabszy; 23-07-2011 at 10:20 AM..
Old 18-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
AlucardAssassin

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
In my opinion, the only thing making your king look cold hearted is the eyes. A little tweaking of the brows, wrinkles, and maybe even placement of the eyes is all it would take to change the entire personality. Can't wait to see it finished!
AlucardAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #10
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
i know mate thx for the advice
btw my only problem is i'm not sure if i'll be able to catch the expression i want to. yet i have only spent on it a few hours though
Old 19-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
SnappedStrings
Criticism Fairy

Awards Showcase
Hey looking great so far!

What's wrong with making him cold-hearted? :-P

He looks coldhearted in the concepts (especially the second one). A good option might be to make him MORE cold hearted :-P
Solid work so far, looking forward to seeing where you go with it.
Good luck!

Portfolio
SnappedStrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
some progress
i wont add more wrinkles and micro detail since it's gonna be a little figure sculpted out of ivory and it wouldn't be believable

Old 20-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #13
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
SnappedStrings you're right but i don't want to create a dark character, only a strong king, that's all :P
peter21caldwell yep, maybe i'm the only one making only head-based figure

btw i'll be out for a few days i have another duties to do.. i hope i'll have time to continue after a few days
Old 20-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #14
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Like the splotch sketches.
Great sculpting so far tsabszy! Nose, ears, and crown +

Member initiate of the very secret splotcher congregation...

If you really like what you do, you can make marvellous things, if you don't: use your eraser and take a breath!
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #15
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
washka yep.. lots of work to do..

decided to model it in zbrush coz i don't have much spare time
besides that i haven't touched the crown, i have much tuning left to do. the beard and hair polishing chews up lots of time, so i'm going to lay down the main details (also the crown) then move back to polishing