>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Archives > Challenge Archives

Old 24-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #151
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Aha so you were keeping the xray. good!

Is this guy sucking up other people's life force to keep himself material?

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #152
JuST

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
Looks good! Somehow I'd expect his eyes to glow, too...
JuST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #153
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
hulahuga - Never intended to get rid of the xray. All the shots without it are just screen caps from zbrush.

JuST - Making them glow was my original plan. I'm also considering giving them that dead look by removing the pupil completely. We'll see what happens, definitely something I want to experiment with.

So I think if I'll be able to squeeze in one of these two. You know the drill.
Attached Images

Crispy4004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #154
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
A for me, because it's more aggressive, B makes me laugh with its peak
but I would say the A with the facing of the B.
Old 27-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #155
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
I like A as well. With the tusks sticking out like that, it could also be used as a stabbing weapon if needed.
Old 28-04-2009, 02:46 AM   #156
polysmooth

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: My current DWIV entry was linked to the frontpage The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! The Sculpting Challenge - Silver: 2nd Place in The Sculpting Challenge! - Issue reason:  Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge ''Anime Style'' 
Most recent sculpt is awesome... I would definitely do
away with the x-ray look though. U've done a good
job modeling so far and the x-ray look just seems outta
place and breaks up the continuity imo...
Old 30-04-2009, 07:18 AM   #157
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
An update with more temporary stuff, and some updates on the skin color.

polysmooth - I understand the crit about the xray. It definitely throws the balance off, and I'm trying some things to make it fit a little better with the body.

However, I'm keeping the x-ray for 2 reasons. First, it makes my entry unique; no other entry to my knowledge has attempted anything like it. Second, it demonstrates something only possible with the rules new to this year. In short, the xray shows my ability to think outside the box in this competition. I've been focusing a lot of my effort on it for that very reason.

I'm still working out ideas on how I can balance the left and right side. He has to wear or cary something in his left arm to add weight. I'm actually leaning away from the pig pike idea because the mass needs to be more central to his body. Any ideas would be more than welcome.
Attached Images

Old 30-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #158
Agent-X

Send a message via AIM to Agent-X Send a message via MSN to Agent-X Send a message via Yahoo to Agent-X
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
On your glow map are you using a 32 bit targa file with alpha to control it?
Old 30-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #159
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Interesting, I actually find the left side [ his right ] to be the side in need of visual weight. I think his right arm/hand needs something to bring it back to the "solid" world.

Anyway, point of view aside, you could always go with a bulky bracelet of some sort to add weight to which ever side, without getting to far from the shape. Maybe rosary beads, and a cross? That'd be kind of spooky given his otherwise demonic nature. IMaybe something like a ball or orb, He is [was?] a kid, maybe he's got a toy ball of sort he totes around?

Keep going, almost there!

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #160
SR_6274

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge No.60 Speed Modelling - Silver: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in a speed modelling challenge! 
Looking good man. I was looking in a magazine this morning, and I saw this ad. Maybe you can use it to get that finished feel.
Attached Images

Old 30-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #161
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Agent-X, right now there is no dedicated glow map. Instead there is a transparency/glow hybrid map that is going through some surface sampling nodes to get the desired rim glow effect. In fact, I can still add a glow map to add some local intensity which is something I may or may not do.

Warlock 279 You made another valid point, and some great suggestions. I'll see what I can do.

SR_6274 Very cool image. Maybe I can use the lighting to help unify things a bit more. Also looking at that gave me one hell of an idea. Hopefully by the next update I can reveal what that is, if it's working.

Last edited by Crispy4004; 01-05-2009 at 12:58 AM..
Old 01-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #162
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Took a break from working on the clothing to put in a rig. Just a temporary pose.

So my idea for the left hand is to have it made out of metal. Somehow, I want electricity to transfer from his left hand to his right making it glow red and yellow like heated metal. Like this:

My only idea so to transfer the electricity is through some sort of coil, but I'm not sure if that would fit with the design. Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Images

Last edited by Crispy4004; 01-05-2009 at 07:47 PM..
Old 01-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #163
jjvdb15

Awards Showcase
The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 1
Im not sure you even need to add anything personally. Some things just can't or don't need to be shown. Certain things happen under the skin of these designs that we can explain in the word document. I say if you like the design so far keep it and just polish what you have instead of making all of the people who say "how does it work?" happy.

I looks great so far, just keep plugging away. If you set it up so that the metal arm looks hot i think the idea will translate.
jjvdb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #164
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
I should have clarified, I don't want to add the coil under the skin, I want it on the outside.

I want it to be very clear that the energy from the right arm is heating the left. Here's a mock up:
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2009, 12:48 AM   #165
Crispy4004

Awards Showcase
Another render slight update.
Attached Images