>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V

Old 10-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #61
MarioC

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! 
Total Awards: 2
i'm still using max 9 T_T
well, i think i'll wait till i update to a newer version, thanks however ^^
Old 10-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #62
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Total Awards: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by discmage View Post
Is there a way to select all edges that have different smoothing groups on either side? if not, would that be hard to script?
Hmm...That's an interesting one. Let me see what I can do tonight, and I'll get back to you. I'd imagine something really dirty like this would work:
Code:
For each edge in this object do
  Make a new selection list.
  Then try to
    Select the two polygons that share this edge.
    If the smoothing groups don't match, add the edge to a list.

Set the object's edge selection to the selection list

Throw a party
Old 16-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #63
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: The particles tutorial got plugged along the top bar. Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Speed Modelling - Gold: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a speed modelling challenge! 
Hey there, I'm sorry. I've been really busy; is this still a needed item? I think it can be done rather quickly if you still want it.
Old 17-04-2009, 02:30 AM   #64
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
It would be handy. It will make the transition from a low poly 'rough' with smoothing groups to a nice chamfered high poly much easier. As long as it selects ALL the edges of all the different smoothing group edges. That would be really cool if you could!
Old 17-04-2009, 03:20 AM   #65
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Discmage, click through to my blog and you can download the select smoothing groups boarder script. It was pretty easy, and I'm surprised not a standard feature in max. It's kinda cool.

Cheers!

Last edited by Mr. Bluesummers-3DT; 17-04-2009 at 03:23 AM..
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 07:10 AM   #66
discmage

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
You are a genius Cheers for that!
Old 22-04-2009, 12:12 PM   #67
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
Total Awards: 9
It's a bit cheeky but it's probably better to thread hijack than make a new one..

Since I needed to this earlier I figured I might as well put it up here.

This'll import all the .obj files in a folder to your scene - pretty handy if you've exported a load of separate subtools.

You have to manually enter the path to the files because I couldn't be bothered to do a gui (don't forget the double backslashes)

max 2009 makes sensible object names, max 9 doesn't. I cant remember whether 2008 does or not.

anyway - dump the following into a script file and run it

Code:
--enter your path here
files = getFiles "T:\\whereveryoukeepthings\\import\\base_obj_files\\*.obj"

for f in files do ( 
        --import various obj files from the path specified above
        fullFilePath = getFilenamePath f + filenameFromPath f 
        importFile fullFilePath  #noPrompt quiet:true

)

http://johnsarthole.blogspot.com/
poopipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 06:31 AM   #68
discmage

Awards Showcase
Um...about that select edge script...it doesn't seem to work. I finally used it on a model I am working on (it was too close to the ed of my character for the DW) and when I run the script, nothing is selected.

Is there anything I need to have done to make it work? eg. use an editable poly or editable mesh, have the faces selected etc? Oh I'm using Max 2009 if that makes any difference too.

Last edited by discmage; 18-05-2009 at 06:46 AM..
discmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #69
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
What about a thread for 2d supplies as well, such as brushes and the like? (really need to find some good, useful rock brushes...).

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #70
BiG ToE-3DT
Reputation beyond repute

Awards Showcase
The Ultimate 3DTotal Award!: Only available in Platinum, given to select few for incredible service to the community. - Issue reason: For being a totally count-on-able moderator, we proudly bestow upon you the Ultimate accolade that Threedy is capable of. Congratulations! :) Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason:  The Golden Grenade II: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War II and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Speed Animation - Gold: Winner of a speed animation challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence in Speed Animation Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Wasteland Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! 
Total Awards: 14
you can post 2d requests in here too.

"something wrongI think"
Threedy 4 Life
I hate Justin Bieber every day
BiG ToE-3DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #71
hulahuga
Dr. Hula

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 5
Okay then, nice!

Then it stands as it is; some good, useful rock brushes

Currently using: Maya - Mudbox - ZBrush - Photoshop

WIP
Hula's 2D Sketchbook http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=777808
Hula's 3D Sketchbox http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=76693
Hula and Waska's Joint Project Thread http://forums.3dtotal.com/p=792813
hulahuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #72
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Gold: Contributing to the forums with 2,000+ posts - Issue reason: too much free time Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: he finished The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: I finished Dominance War 3 Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason:  Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! 
a code snippet for selecting alternate edges in a ring would be handy - I'll do the rest ..

Old 11-11-2010, 04:39 PM   #73
Buzzy
Quadcore

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: DomWar4 work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: 'Bronze Age Barbarian' was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Starlet thread was linked from the frontpage! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 2nd place in low poly challenge! Low Poly Game Art - Bronze: 3rd place in a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a low poly challenge 
Total Awards: 11
This ended up being WAAAAAAYYYY more complex than I thought it would be. There is probably an easier way, but this works.

2 rules:
1 - The object must be an Editable Poly
2 - You must select 1 edge and 1 edge only

It will then propagate out from that edge, alternately selecting edges.
It does occasionally get a little confused if your edge ring crosses itself because I uses the inbetween faces to determine whether edges are adjacent or not.

Code:
obj = $
firstEdge = getEdgeSelection obj
firstEdge = firstEdge as array
edgeRing1 = #{}
curEdges = #()
altEdgeRing = #()
curEdge = #()
tempEdges = #()
a = true
b = false
faceEdges = #()
feIndex1 = undefined
feIndex2 = undefined
if firstEdge.count == 1 then
(
	obj.SelectEdgeRing()
	edgeRing1 = getEdgeSelection obj
	edgeRing1 = edgeRing1 as array
	altEdgeRing = #(firstEdge[1])
	curEdges = #(firstEdge[1])
	while edgeRing1.count != 0 do
	(
		for f in curEdges do
		(
			feIndex1 = findItem edgeRing1 f
			if feIndex1 != 0 then deleteItem edgeRing1 feIndex1
			edgeFaces = polyOp.getEdgeFaces obj f
			if a then
			(
				append altEdgeRing f
				for ef in edgeFaces do
				(
					faceEdges = #()
					faceEdges = polyOp.getFaceEdges obj ef
					for fe in faceEdges do
					(
						feIndex1 = findItem edgeRing1 fe
						b = (fe != f)
						if feIndex1 != 0 and b then
						(
							append tempEdges fe
							deleteItem edgeRing1 feIndex1
						)
					)
				)
			)
			else if not a then
			(
				for ef in edgeFaces do
				(
					faceEdges = #()
					faceEdges = polyOp.getFaceEdges obj ef
					for fe in faceEdges do
					(
						feIndex1 = findItem edgeRing1 fe
						b = (fe != f)
						if feIndex1 != 0 and b then
						(
							append tempEdges fe
							deleteItem edgeRing1 feIndex1
						)
					)
				)
			)
		)
		curEdges = tempEdges
		tempEdges = #()
		a = not a
	)
	polyop.setEdgeSelection obj altEdgeRing
)
gc()
Buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #74
poopipe
conscientious objector

Awards Showcase
woop!

go buzzy!

it's the only thing from graphite tools i miss on 2009.

maxscript is such an ugly language.

Old 30-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #75
Mr. Bluesummers-3DT
Supplies Coordinator

Awards Showcase
Updated WireBundle script for you guys. Indeed, Maxscript is a truly awful language. Someday, maybe they'll switch everything over to C#...

Download the wire bundle maxscript here.