>: CG Forums on 3dtotal - The best forums for CG artists :.
threedy forums home

Go Back   3DTotal Forums > Archives > Dominance War V

Old 19-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #46
The Prime
Registered Abuser

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
Total Awards: 1
Nice idea, but the colours are off. You need a more refined pallette, the colours just make it look ugly, in a bad way.
Old 19-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #47
Warlock 279
Stealing your polygons!

Send a message via AIM to Warlock 279 Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock 279
Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: arget reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: For doing a great job in helping out! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: For Excellence at Low Poly Art - Well Done! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Washed Up Super Hero'' Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason: Winner of a low poly challenge ''Animal Warrior'' Low Poly Game Art - Silver: 2nd place in low poly challenge! - Issue reason: second place in low poly challenge  
Total Awards: 9
Looking very cool design wise. Majorly epic!

The Prime is right tho, you really need to reign in your palette some, its all over the place at the moment. I think I'd recommend taking the blue/green out of the sky, and replacing it with an orange or a purple even, you've got a cool "sky on fire" look going now and that'd push that even more. I'd probably also pull the red out of the character, maybe bring the blue/green from the sky in to replace it. Something to help set the character apart from the background.

Really dynamic looking so far tho, so I definitely look to see what you do with from here.

* Lightwave * User
Warlock 279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #48
chris_solo
looking for job...

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade III: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War III and successfully finishing, well done soldier! The Golden Grenade IV: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War IV and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Thumbs up!:  - Issue reason: won the 3dtotal T-shirt competition. Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a digital painting challenge ''Armageddon'' 
Total Awards: 6
yep nice work mate!
so agree with warlock ideas...
Old 19-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #49
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Ok, so we all agree colors are completly off/ugly.
katana/polysmooth/frostsnake/The Prime/Warlock 279/chris_solo/ all the rest and me.

I'll change that.

katana: thanks!

frostsnake thanks for the trick, I usually copy paste the layer and put saturation of the copy to 0 ( there I correct the tones on it), then use the original coloured layer one and put it on top of unsaturated one as a color layer, but your trick is a bit faster, I'll use it.

The Prime: thanks for your frankness and honesty, I like comments like those.

Warlock 279: your comment is really contructive too, that's why I like DW. I'll make some layout test (with just colors) separated from the shape/concept/tone work, and test your idea (I really want to keep the chara with hot tones).

Thanks chris_solo, you're backsupport outsider this year or you're in?

Changed shape again, next fixes are colors/ legs & hand defining then I'll push a bit the concept further and go onto some background work, next WIP should be worth it.

[Edit]
Here we are.
Attached Images

Last edited by washka; 19-03-2011 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: Major Colors Sucks (MCS)
washka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #50
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Send a message via MSN to tsabszy
Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
Total Awards: 2
good luck washka with concepting!!!
i'm a bit late but my vote would have been for 8 for the 1st look, then 15
actually 15 looks like you mirrored 8 you lasy
i like the crab people idea as they have already tried to rule the world twice :P
tsabszy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #51
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Silver: Contributing to the forums with 1,000+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! The Golden Grenade V: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! - Issue reason: For participating in the Dominance War V and successfully finishing, well done soldier! Digital Painting - Silver: 2nd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: sea creature Digital Painting - Bronze: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge! - Issue reason: 3rd place in a speed painting challenge ''Revenge'' 
Quote:
actually 15 looks like you mirrored 8 you lasy
Noooooo! That's impossible. It couldn't be... Or it was out of my jurisdiction. Can I blame crabs please?

Ok, I used mirror, I've been a bit lasy...I won't do it again...or not....

Thanks tsabszy, I'm really waiting for your stuff.

Last edited by washka; 19-03-2011 at 10:13 PM..
Old 19-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #52
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of the forums! Low Poly Game Art - Gold: Winner of a low poly challenge! - Issue reason:  
i think it's ok for me, but...
(...)
You can use any 3d, 2d, or animation software package in the world to create your entry. You can also use traditional mediums like pencil, paper, paint, etc.
Only 1 entry per person per category (3d Character, Concept Art, Character Animation). Do not try to create multiple entries with different user names.
No Teams, groups or collaborations. Everything must be made by 1 single person.
If you enter 2d part you can't use mirror! EVER!
(...)
so be careful with that
Old 19-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #53
katana

Awards Showcase
Threedy Top Poster - Bronze: Contributing to the forums with 100+ posts - Issue reason: Target reached! 
It sure looks like it is going to rock.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #54
GregStrangis

Awards Showcase
The Golden Eye: Producing art worthy of being linked from the frontpage of either forums or 3DTotal.com - Issue reason: Art work was linked from the frontpage! 
this is turning out great! I like that his face looks like is a disgusting area of rows of teeth. Would love to see a clean line drawing tho fleshing out each area. Keep going!
GregStrangis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 04:15 AM   #55
miclepickle

Send a message via AIM to miclepickle
looking good, I like how he is looking silly yet mean...

Portfolio-
MCampbell3d.blogspot.com
miclepickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 04:37 AM   #56
mix_mash

It's looking really good. You're lucky because with 2d concepting you are not as limited to the form as we 3d boffins are. I'm not sure about the placement of the head, though. it says 'henchmen' or 'thoughtless beast' more than 'god'. He needs something to show people that he is a god of something. He needs that presence. You'll have to figure out how to do this on your own, though, because he is your own creation.

Good luck with your entry. I've noticed by looking through the past DW entries that a majority of Asian artists kick ass at the 2d side of the comp. You've got your work cut out for you.

Paul
(mix_mash)
mix_mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #57
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
tsabszy: I mirror a lot but then I try to break the symetry, if it's too mirrored at the end please feel free to let it me know and I'll change that. I'll be careful about it during my work. (For research ones, there'll be somes don't worry about those, just lazy ones)

katana: And there will be somes too.

GregStrangis: I'm still wondering if I should open it a bit, or make it completly closed, but I'll keep da big smile. I want to put some interesting mood and focus on that area.

miclepickle: How can you already sense that man? You're too smart.

mix_mash: I got complete elasticity, and the technique I use allows it too so... Agree about your symbolic comment (henchmen/beast), and I'm really not happy with the concept and symbolics ones right now. Before trying to detail more and define da shape, I'll first push the concept a bit further.

I want to develop two complementary and opposed concepts/symbolics here:
-First one is the chained/hidden/protected crabs onto da mouth that represent pure destruction (beyond the ultimate death lies immortality).
-And there is a second one I want to represent, it's the creation concept: into its "footsteps" he creates everything. (or uncreate for a new creation). The gauntlets can represent hist creative tools, he can walk onto/with those "hands".

Why creation? Some interesting ideas (don't be too serious about it here):
Because the strongest creative process do not know death, it develops forever above its own path. So it can represents in some sort of way immortality.

"Go one step further, but don't forget the direction you're taking, or you'll just loose your way."
Attached Images

Old 20-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #58
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
i was just joking with the mirroring i think your stuff is coming out great so far
Old 20-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #59
washka
(Oo)

Awards Showcase
xD

Quote:
No Teams, groups or collaborations. Everything must be made by 1 single person.
Artists wishing to enter both 3d and concept art categories, must create a new idea for each entry. Example, if you make a War God for the 3d category, do not make another similar God of War for the concept art category.
Final submissions are final. Make sure you are happy with your image before you submit it into the system.
Omg you got me there! xD you funny b*st*rd!
Old 20-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #60
tsabszy
Csaba Baity

Awards Showcase
:d :d